Rosson Audio Design RAD-0 - Alex's Beautiful New Baby
Sep 4, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #181 of 1,033
He also says that RAD-0 isn't great for classical, but again, doesn't really say why:

I find the orchestral swell of classical music (when lots of string instruments are playing at once) is better represented by a frequency response that doesn't have that slight dip in the treble - or in other words doesn't have the minor 'gaps'. It sounds just fine for it, just not quite as good as something like the Arya for example. String instruments are sometimes the most difficult to represent accurately, and that's perhaps the only place were the slight FR deviations are noticeable.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #182 of 1,033
Interesting review, but a bit vague. Says he prefers Verite, but doesn't really explain why, except to say that Verite has a 'unique' driver and has a larger stage. He also says that RAD-0 isn't great for classical, but again, doesn't really say why:

I'm not saying he's wrong. Just saying he could be more forthcoming about what leads him to his observations, maybe with some specific musical examples,

He actually goes into more detail in his written review of the RAD-0 for musical choices as well as comparisons with various headphones. Usually his written reviewers take a bit of a deeper dive while the videos are a little more broad.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Sep 4, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #183 of 1,033
Interesting review, but a bit vague. Says he prefers Verite, but doesn't really explain why, except to say that Verite has a 'unique' driver and has a larger stage. He also says that RAD-0 isn't great for classical, but again, doesn't really say why:

I'm not saying he's wrong. Just saying he could be more forthcoming about what leads him to his observations, maybe with some specific musical examples,

I love these headphones with classical music! They are spectacularly transparent, expansive, detailed and balanced sounding. Could be issues with his upfront rig?

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #184 of 1,033
He actually goes into more detail in his written review of the RAD-0 for musical choices as well as comparisons with various headphones. Usually his written reviewers take a bit of a deeper dive while the videos are a little more broad.

I think the point being made is that a more neutral presentation might be preferable for classical / instrumental / jazz.

I would probably use my HD800S over my Verite for these genres, or in the planar world use my HEKv2 over a Rosson (which I don't own - yet).

YMMV.

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #185 of 1,033
I love these headphones with classical music! They are spectacularly transparent, expansive, detailed and balanced sounding. Could be issues with his upfront rig?

It's the Cayin IHA-6 - so it's more of a preference for a certain frequency response thing. But I don't disagree, they sound generally very good - especially for the price. By the way if anyone is curious about the connectors, certain cables with 3.5mm connectors won't fit due to how far the holes are set into the cups, but weirdly the ones from Hifiman do fit (not that I'd recommend them). If you want to run it balanced, make sure you find a cable with thin 3.5mm plugs.

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #186 of 1,033
I just watched the rad 0 review for 3rd time and he gives it a good review. only complaints was weight and classical. Also he compares to lcd4 utopia and verite. He did recommend buying it when things are met. For instance buy lcd 4 only if you eq it, if not buy the Rosson headphone. He's choice with verite is that's his favorite headphone so he can come across bias.

Sep 4, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #187 of 1,033
I just watched the rad 0 review for 3rd time and he gives it a good review. only complaints was weight and classical. Also he compares to lcd4 utopia and verite. He did recommend buying it when things are met. For instance buy lcd 4 only if you eq it, if not buy the Rosson headphone. He's choice with verite is that's his favorite headphone so he can come across bias.

Did you watch his Verite review? The reasons for liking the Verite are clearly articulated.

Sep 4, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #188 of 1,033
I watched the Verite review and it seems to be his favorite headphone. His review made me want them. They are shipping out once Zach comes back from RMAF. I currently own Hekv2, rad-0, Empyrean, and others. I can't pick a favorite. My only complaint is the weight and clamp force.

Sep 4, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #189 of 1,033
tonynewman what did you mod on hekv2's?

Sep 7, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #191 of 1,033
I just like the fact that Audeze developed their drivers themselves and producing everything in California.
But I have to say, that I´m not liking, hippie George praying bird speeches.

Sep 7, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #192 of 1,033
Meze doesn't produce Planars and that's a good headphone.

Sep 7, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #195 of 1,033
If you guys want to learn about a great speaker company look no further then Tekton Designs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back