Rose Technology Discussion & Impressions Thread
Oct 31, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #1,066 of 1,255
I am sad that My Rose Mini 2 went defective on its right side today. I've had it since July '17. The right side went 80% silent. It happened when the right side made crackling noise and eventually it went off.

I had checked the nozzle was free of debris nor cracks on the nozzle itself. Has this happened to any one of you guys?

I am currently asking PenonAudio for a resolution.

Oct 31, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #1,067 of 1,255
I am sad that My Rose Mini 2 went defective on its right side today. I've had it since July '17. The right side went 80% silent. It happened when the right side made crackling noise and eventually it went off.

I had checked the nozzle was free of debris nor cracks on the nozzle itself. Has this happened to any one of you guys?

I haven't noticed anything like that, but as a reviewer, I don't daily any IEM in particular. Penon are usually very good, if they don't get back to you, try messaging them on Facebook perhaps.

Oct 31, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #1,068 of 1,255
I just got the Mini2's from Penon today, and straight out of the box the right phone crackles and distorts severely at certain frequencies. Tested with different cables, and the problem is definitely with the earphone itself.

Mine also came with no sort of pre-molded or memory ear guides, it is just straight cable all the way through. Coupled with the tiny size, it makes putting them in pretty difficult.

I was going to order the Mini6 as well, but will avoid Rose products until they step up their qc.

Oct 31, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #1,069 of 1,255
I saw the rose mini 6 and decided to hold off as well after my rose mini 2's defect.

Today i rechecked again and the right side worked again. This was coupled with a crackle. I think the main problem was the suction problem after a long hour of listening but i will have to monitor this.

Oct 31, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #1,070 of 1,255
I just got the Mini2's from Penon today, and straight out of the box the right phone crackles and distorts severely at certain frequencies. Tested with different cables, and the problem is definitely with the earphone itself.

Mine also came with no sort of pre-molded or memory ear guides, it is just straight cable all the way through. Coupled with the tiny size, it makes putting them in pretty difficult.

I was going to order the Mini6 as well, but will avoid Rose products until they step up their qc.

Sounds like an older unit perhaps? Was it one with a braided cable? Also, the Mini 6 was supposed to ship over a month ago but was delayed due to QC, they're sorting it out so hopefully retail units will be improved... Only time will tell it seems.

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #1,071 of 1,255
Hey Ryanjsoo, I actually bought the Mini2 after seeing them on the "Wall of Fame" of your blog. I really enjoy reading your reviews, they're both informative and enjoyable to read.

I am pretty sure the Mini2 version I have is the most recent, as I just ordered it two weeks ago from Penon and got it today.
CZM7t
CZM7t

Edit: I don't know how to embed an image so https://imgur.com/a/VZVvM

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #1,072 of 1,255
Hey Ryanjsoo, I actually bought the Mini2 after seeing them on the "Wall of Fame" of your blog. I really enjoy reading your reviews, they're both informative and enjoyable to read.

I am pretty sure the Mini2 version I have is the most recent, as I just ordered it two weeks ago from Penon and got it today.
CZM7t
CZM7t

Edit: I don't know how to embed an image so https://imgur.com/a/VZVvM

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate the feedback! I might have to remove them from the wall of fame since so many seem to be having problems, as much as I love the sound, it's saddening to hear these issues. I hope you're able to get a replacement, Penon get their units straight from Rose so they should be able to help you out. I'll have a chat to see what changes they're making to improve reliability in the future.

Nov 1, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #1,073 of 1,255
I saw the rose mini 6 and decided to hold off as well after my rose mini 2's defect.

Today i rechecked again and the right side worked again. This was coupled with a crackle. I think the main problem was the suction problem after a long hour of listening but i will have to monitor this.

Don't have a mini & sorry if this is obvious, but tried another cable or cleaning the contacts (though that might break warranty)? This sounds a little similar to problems I have had with MMCX cables before. Also a little similar to the Yamaha EPH100 moisture issues in the past.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #1,075 of 1,255

As @Raketen has already pointed out, this sounds a lot like some contact problems with the MMCX connector.

Nov 1, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #1,076 of 1,255
Sent Penon an e-mail, and they want me to send the defective earphone back to Hong Kong, where they'll then assess it and send me a replacement if needed? No other explanation or apology given. Didn't even tell me if I would get the shipping charges back. I think I will call my credit card company and do a charge-back instead. Hands down the worst service I have ever encountered from a retail store. I guess you do get what you pay for, lol.

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #1,077 of 1,255
That sucks, they're not a retail store but the shipping cost kills it sometimes. And, I haven't actually experienced any huge issues personally, just an inverted 2 pin on my Masya.

I contacted Rose earlier today, they have indeed updated their cable and connectors, new units should have tighter MMCX plugs and no ear guides. I've requested that they retain the guides on the mini series, fingers crossed it actually happens.

Nov 1, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #1,078 of 1,255
That sucks, they're not a retail store but the shipping cost kills it sometimes. And, I haven't actually experienced any huge issues personally, just an inverted 2 pin on my Masya.

I contacted Rose earlier today, they have indeed updated their cable and connectors, new units should have tighter MMCX plugs and no ear guides. I've requested that they retain the guides on the mini series, fingers crossed it actually happens.
Inverted 2-pin features are actually intended with Rose tech, which is complete BS if you want to experiment aftermarket cables, because most cables come with earguides or angled connectors that won't let you invert connectors...

No ear guides can sound cool except when they provide cables with non plastic coatings. The gorgeous new 2-pin cable they provide without ear guides turned from a beautiful white-silver to an ugly green in 3 months due to the lack of protection/ear guides. Which means the cable fabric contains silver threads, which are very sensitive to humidity.

Honestly, I'm puzzled that they can tune sound so nicely but are completely clueless when it comes to engineering sturdy IEMs. And they have the balls to tell you that you don't take proper care of your IEMs. And without Penon insisting, they wouldn't even have honored repairs during the first year.

My 1.5 year-old Cappuccinos MK1 are litterally falling apart even though I'm not using them at all (nozzles are half-broken with missing filter on one side, sockets have cracks between pins) and I'm keeping them in a Pelican box...
My 1-year-old Cappuccinos MK2 have been repaired once already (one driver crapped out after 5 months) and I already see tiny cracks in the 2 -pin sockets.
The Hybrid 7 I offered to my brother died after 6 months (driver failure + filter came out of nozzles).

I'm a very careful person that always put IEMs in Pelican boxes when they are not in use.
I never ever broke any of my IEMs and always resell them in perfect state.
So when I see this thread, it makes me very angry.

Good sound without proper built quality and minimal quality check is useless.

Nov 1, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #1,079 of 1,255
I'm glad I've yet to deal with any issues of this nature. I've had my Pudding for around a year and a half bought off Ali, and Ali sides with me for delivery guarantee as they took over a month to ship it out and another 3 weeks to get to me, so not expecting any help if I need to contact Rose. I've had a cable failure with Mojito bit nothing else, and thinking I should just buy the new cable.

Nov 2, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #1,080 of 1,255
I'm sending my defective Mini2 back to Penon (at my cost), and they'll be sending me a replacement once they receive it. So I probably won't be getting it back until the end of November. I might get my HDxx from Massdrop before I get the Mini2 back, lol.

I guess I can't really blame Penon for this, but it still has left a bad taste in my mouth. I guess we all roll the dice a little bit though when we order from China though, trying to get the most bang for our buck. Oh well, I still have more positive experiences with chi-fi than negative, and will
most likely be ordering more in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back