Rose Technology Discussion & Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #1,006 of 1,255
I don't. You're putting words in my mouth as people on this site are apt to do. That was simply one of the reasons Penon gave to explain their move away from 3D printed housings; improved build quality. The Brainwavz B400 is a great example of a high quality, 3D printed housing. There a tons of great examples to be found elsewhere.

Yeah, 3D printing is a bit case by case but in most instances, the finish is a bit rough, more so than mass-produced products. Rose is a pretty small team so they can't achieve the level of finish that other manufacturers may be able to and even Plussound's $400-700 in-ears aren't perfect in their execution. On that note, though I received the Wood Grain Masya which seems to use a mass-produced housing, the faceplates and finish aren't perfect with a little orange peel and the right vent is quite crooked. That being said, the buds are still one of the most solid I've felt, they're miles above the MX500 buds 3D printed or not and I didn't have the alcohol paint issue either. I think the Wood Grain model is worth the $20 premium simply for the cable (which is $23 on its own) and the superior build quality is just the icing on top. Furthermore, the Masya sounds great and you don't have to look at them when they're in your ears!

Sep 26, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #1,007 of 1,255
Yeah, 3D printing is a bit case by case but in most instances, the finish is a bit rough, more so than mass-produced products. Rose is a pretty small team so they can't achieve the level of finish that other manufacturers may be able to and even Plussound's $400-700 in-ears aren't perfect in their execution. On that note, though I received the Wood Grain Masya which seems to use a mass-produced housing, the faceplates and finish aren't perfect with a little orange peel and the right vent is quite crooked. That being said, the buds are still one of the most solid I've felt, they're miles above the MX500 buds 3D printed or not and I didn't have the alcohol paint issue either. I think the Wood Grain model is worth the $20 premium simply for the cable (which is $23 on its own) and the superior build quality is just the icing on top. Furthermore, the Masya sounds great and you don't have to look at them when they're in your ears!

Will you be reviewing the masya?

I'm curious on how they compare to the shozy bk, the bk seems really popular.

Are they too similar to have in my collection or are they both worth owning.

If they're pretty close in sq and tuning I might just jump straight to the moondrop liebesleid.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #1,008 of 1,255
Will you be reviewing the masya?

I'm curious on how they compare to the shozy bk, the bk seems really popular.

Are they too similar to have in my collection or are they both worth owning.

If they're pretty close in sq and tuning I might just jump straight to the moondrop liebesleid.

Thanks!

I posted my review on THL and Everydaylistening yesterday with comparison to the BK. I really like the Masya, it's pretty unorthodox for an earbud with a truly out of the head soundstage and fantastic midrange clarity. Compared to the BK, the Masya is a lot brighter so it can sound more detailed or higher in resolution but after adjustment, the BK is actually the more technically proficient performer even if it still lacks the treble extension of the Masya. However, for reasons I can't explain, the BK is a lot more source dependent so if you're running from a smartphone, it might be better to stick with the Masya.

Sep 26, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #1,009 of 1,255
I posted my review on THL and Everydaylistening yesterday with comparison to the BK. I really like the Masya, it's pretty unorthodox for an earbud with a truly out of the head soundstage and fantastic midrange clarity. Compared to the BK, the Masya is a lot brighter so it can sound more detailed or higher in resolution but after adjustment, the BK is actually the more technically proficient performer even if it still lacks the treble extension of the Masya. However, for reasons I can't explain, the BK is a lot more source dependent so if you're running from a smartphone, it might be better to stick with the Masya.

FYI - Rose uses 0.75mm 2-pin, not 0.78mm.

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #1,011 of 1,255

Thanks! It was a great read, the wood masya looks fantastic in your photos, very tempting.
Shame about the flipped connector on the left side.
It would have really bother me knowing that lol, even if it was easily fixed by reversing the cable.

Sounds like the bk is better with bass, and is more relaxed in comparison. I really like the look of the cable on the bk, but I do prefer clarity and soundstage over bass.

Edit: are you planning on having a look at the moondrop liebesleid?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #1,012 of 1,255
Thanks! It was a great read, the wood masya looks fantastic in your photos, very tempting.
Shame about the flipped connector on the left side.
It would have really bother me knowing that lol, even if it was easily fixed by reversing the cable.

Sounds like the bk is better with bass, and is more relaxed in comparison. I really like the look of the cable on the bk, but I do prefer clarity and soundstage over bass.

Edit: are you planning on having a look at the moondrop liebesleid?

Thanks euge, perhaps the Mojito would suit you, @B9Scrambler should be able to provide some more comparison (interested to hear too!).

The Moondrop looks really interesting, doubt I could secure one for review though, last Ali manufacturer offered me a 5% discount lol.

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #1,014 of 1,255
It only costs $23.90 and not $239

They're 265 lol

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32815340879.html

Thanks euge, perhaps the Mojito would suit you, @B9Scrambler should be able to provide some more comparison (interested to hear too!).

The Moondrop looks really interesting, doubt I could secure one for review though, last Ali manufacturer offered me a 5% discount lol.

Maybe you can convince penon to stock them, as I would rather buy it off them instead of aliexp if I do pick them up.
They've been really great with shipping.

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #1,016 of 1,255
The typical belief is going from .75 to .78 will stretch the female 2-pin out allowing for only .78 to be used from then on, so I've never given it a try.

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #1,017 of 1,255
My "Beverly Hills Cop" rig? The "Rosewoood":stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Rosewood.JPG

Man @ryanjsoo , I really have to give those Mini 2 a try. Loved the review:thumbsup:

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #1,019 of 1,255
Would to curious to know if you tried a variety of 0.78 and 0.75 cables and how they fitted. Best, x

The typical belief is going from .75 to .78 will stretch the female 2-pin out allowing for only .78 to be used from then on, so I've never given it a try.

I tried the 0.78mm EROS II and the stock 64Audio cable, both fit fine and the stock Rose cable worked fine after. I didn't push the cables all the way in though. I would assume any 0.78mm cable would work fine so long as you aren't too rough with the connector.

My "Beverly Hills Cop" rig? The "Rosewoood":stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Man @ryanjsoo , I really have to give those Mini 2 a try. Loved the review:thumbsup:

Thanks! Mini 2 is really well tuned, I'll be looking at the Mini 6 soon, that should be very interesting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back