Rooth demos: the evaluation of Rooth lineup – liquid clarity
Dec 20, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #151 of 189
  Have had my LSX5 for 2 days - this is my first entry into custom universal, and higher end product  
To be perfectly honest, first impression is not that great, I am hoping that this will get better.

Bass is great, excellent speed and impact, details are ridiculously good, transparency is excellent too...

...however, the mid is recessed, and treble is so full of sibilance

Could be tips issue, or perhaps I am not getting a perfect seal...more to come soon

beerchug.gif

You got the universal version? I had problems with sibilance with the demo version, but the issue was mitigated when I heard someone else's full custom (that fit my ears moderately well).

Dec 20, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #152 of 189

You got the universal version? I had problems with sibilance with the demo version, but the issue was mitigated when I heard someone else's full custom (that fit my ears moderately well).

Yep, I did get the universal version, I'm going to see if I can get the perfect tips, if I can't fix the sound with tips, I'll look for silver plated or silver cable - I remembered that my TF10 on first listen sounded average, it is not until I bought Null Audio Lune cable for it, that the sound suddenly came alive and thickened, at the same time pull the mids that it is no longer recessed...

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #154 of 189
  Have had my LSX5 for 2 days - this is my first entry into custom universal, and higher end product

To be perfectly honest, first impression is not that great, I am hoping that this will get better.

Bass is great, excellent speed and impact, details are ridiculously good, transparency is excellent too...

Could be tips issue, or perhaps I am not getting a perfect seal...more to come soon

beerchug.gif

As with any universal, ear tips are paramount, and especially with universal products that use a custom style shell.  I recently listened to Vision Ears demos and found a small number of ear tips that worked OK, and using different ear tips resulted in different sound signature variations and/or issues.  Comply foam usually works well for me with universal demos.  You may want to try, and if you can get a good sound using them, see if you can replicate the sound with other ear tips.  

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #156 of 189

beerchug.gif

Yep, I did get the universal version, I'm going to see if I can get the perfect tips, if I can't fix the sound with tips, I'll look for silver plated or silver cable - I remembered that my TF10 on first listen sounded average, it is not until I bought Null Audio Lune cable for it, that the sound suddenly came alive and thickened, at the same time pull the mids that it is no longer recessed...

I've had my LSX5 for around 3 weeks now, and it certainly haven't sounded sibilant nor mids recessed for me.
Perhaps you could try comply tips? They are usually a better match for slightly brighter sounding IEMs.

Also, I would personally recommend a good copper cable for use with LSX5.
From my personal experience, copper pairs better than silver for LSX5.

Yeap, Gwee, we met at Null and Mooks.
I can see from your avatar that you certainly enjoyed yourself!

Got anything at Mooks?
I was rather mesmerized by Fitear MH334, DITA with The Answer cable and the hybrid 2 tubes amp from Analog Squared Paper.

Dec 21, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #157 of 189

I've had my LSX5 for around 3 weeks now, and it certainly haven't sounded sibilant nor mids recessed for me.
Perhaps you could try comply tips? They are usually a better match for slightly brighter sounding IEMs.

Also, I would personally recommend a good copper cable for use with LSX5.
From my personal experience, copper pairs better than silver for LSX5.

Yep, will look for copper cable, I might order from Null Audio again or perhaps from Chris_himself, I know these 2 are quality products

As with any universal, ear tips are paramount, and especially with universal products that use a custom style shell.  I recently listened to Vision Ears demos and found a small number of ear tips that worked OK, and using different ear tips resulted in different sound signature variations and/or issues.  Comply foam usually works well for me with universal demos.  You may want to try, and if you can get a good sound using them, see if you can replicate the sound with other ear tips.  

Yep, I have tried Comply T-500 and Ts-500, they sound the best compared to the silicones, but I'm still not getting the perfect seal, I need something thin and long, so it would go right inside my canal, I'll wait for a couple of weeks if the treble is still harsh, I might do some DIY on Comply P series

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #158 of 189

Yep, will look for copper cable, I might order from Null Audio again or perhaps from Chris_himself, I know these 2 are quality products

Yep, I have tried Comply T-500 and Ts-500, they sound the best compared to the silicones, but I'm still not getting the perfect seal, I need something thin and long, so it would go right inside my canal, I'll wait for a couple of weeks if the treble is still harsh, I might do some DIY on Comply P series

I hope the harshness subsides.  Keep us updated.

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #160 of 189
I looked through the case this time to see what was included (I didn't bother to when I got it as I was too excited about the IEM) and I found this...

So I think what I am hearing is exactly as per the FR...

I've discovered the correct way of fitting it in (push and twist) - even though this is universal, the body is not the same as the other universal custom (Heir, Noble, etc), so now the sibilance/spike is bearable, this is still all new experience for me...don't get me wrong, everything else about it is world class, I mean the details, imaging, transparency, clarity, and tonality are just out of this world, the bass is thick, deep, and incredibly textured, the mid is recessed, but smooth and awesome; I have been hearing instrument details that I never heard before with any other IEM...WOW...so yeah my only problem is that sibilance/treble-spike...

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #161 of 189
  Yeap, Gwee, we met at Null and Mooks.
I can see from your avatar that you certainly enjoyed yourself!

Got anything at Mooks?
I was rather mesmerized by Fitear MH334, DITA with The Answer cable and the hybrid 2 tubes amp from Analog Squared Paper.

Hi Joe,

got the Roxy @ mook, however after i heard 334, sort of regretted. Anyway i also went down to Null to get the Elpis 3 just for fun, should be a fun piece for pop.

should be collecting my LS8+ and Elpis 2 refits tomorrow or this week. 

i will be attempting to drive my LS8+ with this setup..

DX50 + Xduoo XD-01 via 3.5mm out and Coaxial in (wonder if there are aftermarket cable for this, want it really short, the stock cable from DX50 is a joke, see if Kevin is able to do anything about it, though i can use simple 3.5mm line in line out, but i will be double amping? )

or alternatively 

AK120 + Xduoo XD-01 via Optical out

regards

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #162 of 189
  I looked through the case this time to see what was included (I didn't bother to when I got it as I was too excited about the IEM) and I found this...

So I think what I am hearing is exactly as per the FR...

I've discovered the correct way of fitting it in (push and twist) - even though this is universal, the body is not the same as the other universal custom (Heir, Noble, etc), so now the sibilance/spike is bearable, this is still all new experience for me...don't get me wrong, everything else about it is world class, I mean the details, imaging, transparency, clarity, and tonality are just out of this world, the bass is thick, deep, and incredibly textured, the mid is recessed, but smooth and awesome; I have been hearing instrument details that I never heard before with any other IEM...WOW...so yeah my only problem is that sibilance/treble-spike...

Try ear tips with different lengths, as that will alter the treble response.  For example, bi-flange or triple flange ear tips or longer foam  tips may smooth the treble spike.  Ear tip nozzle diameter also can adjust the frequency response, but not as much as length, and soft foam such as Comply will absorb some treble energy.

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #163 of 189
  Hi Joe,

got the Roxy @ mook, however after i heard 334, sort of regretted. Anyway i also went down to Null to get the Elpis 3 just for fun, should be a fun piece for pop.

should be collecting my LS8+ and Elpis 2 refits tomorrow or this week. 

i will be attempting to drive my LS8+ with this setup..

DX50 + Xduoo XD-01 via 3.5mm out and Coaxial in (wonder if there are aftermarket cable for this, want it really short, the stock cable from DX50 is a joke, see if Kevin is able to do anything about it, though i can use simple 3.5mm line in line out, but i will be double amping? )

or alternatively 

AK120 + Xduoo XD-01 via Optical out

regards

The DX50 with Xduoo XD-01 via coaxial out should render DX50 to just being a transport, with XD-01 assuming both DAC and amp duties.
Ditto the case with AK120 via optical out.

334? MH or TG?
I'm bloody seduced by MH334.
It's the first (C)IEM that has a Hifi kinda signature for me.
Totally poisonous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back