Roon is live
Mar 9, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #436 of 701
Library selections, tags, playlists, ratings and corrections to metadata are all saved. I believe that device settings are also saved, though I am not positive on that item. I'm not sure if other data is saved.

Mar 9, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #438 of 701
Library selections, tags, playlists, ratings and corrections to metadata are all saved. I believe that device settings are also saved, though I am not positive on that item. I'm not sure if other data is saved.
As @jimmychan mentioned, it backs up everything you need to restore.
After restoring Roon from my external SSD backup I did a restore again from my Roon backups to bring my library up to date.

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #439 of 701
I have had a love/hate relationship so far with Roon. Running on a Mac Mini 2014 model as core, hard-wired into network, I have one client on Windows HP all-in-one PC hard wired to network, and all my music is on a slower NAS... a Synology 1512+ but I have rarely had any issues with speed or performance with it. I run no extra packages, rarely come close to maxing out ram or cpu use. Playback via SMB on other software like Aurdirvana on the Mac and JRiver on the PC are flawless performers practically, with the only reason I don't use use Audirvana all the time is that is only seems to have option to load entire files into memory, and I have some large single DSD256 files that wont fit the 8GB memory on the Mac, and the memory on this model is non-upgradable.

Well, I first could not get Roon to find my NAS via SMB, so I did what the do NOT recommend and I mounted my music folder on the NAS as a hard drive. It worked fine, always played flawlessly, the only issue was always having to make sure the drive was mounted at all times, such as on restarts you had to manually re-mount.

FINALLY, though, I got it to work direct via SMB. But it would 'choke and spit' so to speak on import, start, stop, only partially work etc. Now, I don't think it was ANYTHING different I tried, but it started just working perfectly one day. All files loaded and my library is HUGE at over 6 terrabytes.

But the suddenly I have started getting dropouts in playback after flawless performance for months. No changes made by me other than the Roon software auto-updates. I seemed to get that cleared up with few efficiency settings on the Synology and rebooting everything. But then last night, I was listening and what I was listening to suddenly stopped and said 'file deleted'. Then I watch in HORROR as it deletes every single file in my database. And now I am trying to re-do the library and its loading, but is EXCRUCIATINGLY slow. At this pace it may be DAYS before its done it seems.

Of course I just did an experiment with JRiver on the PC while Roon was still churning, and a fresh install of JRiver had imported my entire 6TB library in 10 or 15 minutes.

So I know the Roon import is server based, and this has to be a major part of the problem. I switched the metadata import preferences to use my local file for metadata instead of the Roon server and that has sped things up quite a bit, but no miracles yet.

Anyone ever just have Roon decide to delete your entire library right in front of your face when all you were doing was in the middle of a listening session that had already been over an hour???

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #440 of 701
Never had it do that. that would not be good.

For the slow part were you talking about that WRT analyzing while it brings in your data again? If so, you might want to try giving it more cores to work with? Under settings->library, background audio analysis speeed and on-demand audio analysis, might help while importing the data again?
1616341344185.png

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #441 of 701
I'm currently using a Macbook as a core and am contemplating a dedicated streaming device. I listen in two different locations so using the Macbook is quite convenient to transport between these locations. Adding a dedicated streaming device to one means that I'll have the Macbook and the dedicated device, both acting as cores, via the same subscription. This will work fine as I only use one core at a time. I'm just not sure how easy it is to manage my library across two different devices. Is anyone else running two cores on the same subscription? Any thoughts or comments on this experience? What works well and/or what you find frustrating?

I opted to install OpenVPN on my server (roon core) at home and generate client config files for each of my devices. I also have a registered domain name with dynamic DNS service (for the princely sum of $12/yr) and a DDNS client running to update the records every couple of hours. So I just VPN into mydomain.net and my devices are now annexed to my home network using a secure tunnel over the internet. Then it's business as usual - fire up the roon remote app, and it sees the core and allows me to stream my music as if everything was on my home network. Works quite well - even with LTE on the opposite coast.

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #442 of 701
I opted to install OpenVPN on my server (roon core) at home and generate client config files for each of my devices. I also have a registered domain name with dynamic DNS service (for the princely sum of $12/yr) and a DDNS client running to update the records every couple of hours. So I just VPN into mydomain.net and my devices are now annexed to my home network using a secure tunnel over the internet. Then it's business as usual - fire up the roon remote app, and it sees the core and allows me to stream my music as if everything was on my home network. Works quite well - even with LTE on the opposite coast.

Or just use ZeroTier and skip the whole Domain/DNS part.

Apr 23, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #443 of 701
Very new Roon user, can anyone explain why I would want to also get the HQ player? Is it more of a specific use case (like if you want the filters or upsampling) or is it also a more universal improvement in sound quality?

Apr 24, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #444 of 701
Very new Roon user, can anyone explain why I would want to also get the HQ player? Is it more of a specific use case (like if you want the filters or upsampling) or is it also a more universal improvement in sound quality?

Upsampling and filters/modulators.

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #445 of 701
If you use Tidal with Roon, here's how to set Roon so MQA does not make money:

Image+2021-04-28+at+11.04.40+AM.png

You will still be getting the MQA'ed file from Tidal (folded), but at least MQA will not make money off you.

Unfortunately, the fact that for releases marked as Master, Tidal now no longer offers the option to stream the actual lossless flac, means Tidal no longer offers lossless streaming. Even on the non "Masters" hifi quality setting, it simply streams the MQA file.

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #446 of 701
If you use Tidal with Roon, here's how to set Roon so MQA does not make money:
You will still be getting the MQA'ed file from Tidal (folded), but at least MQA will not make money off you.
This doesn't make sense to me. You're implying that MQA receives royalties on a per-play basis, and only when software unfolding is enabled. I seriously doubt either of those cases. It isn't how licensing works in the music industry.

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #447 of 701
This doesn't make sense to me. You're implying that MQA receives royalties on a per-play basis, and only when software unfolding is enabled. I seriously doubt either of those cases. It isn't how licensing works in the music industry.

It is in fact that way through Roon.

The terms are complicated and not worth going into, but simply put: if you don’t core decode, we don’t pay.

When we introduced MQA support, we didn’t raise the price, so MQA has always been a cost center for us. If you core decode, we make less profit. If you don’t core decode, we make more profit. It’s almost that simple.
From Roon: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/why-do-manufacturers-support-mqa/155965/294?u=mediahound

Apr 28, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #448 of 701
Apr 28, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #449 of 701
For some reason, it makes me a bit uneasy that Roon knows what my settings are and which switches are on. Just saying... Wonder what else they are keeping track of...

I'm sure your entire listening history and listening preferences. That's how they surface personalized recommendations to you.

All streaming services do that, Tidal, Qobuz, Apple, and Youtube for videos, etc.

Apr 29, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #450 of 701
I'm sure your entire listening history and listening preferences. That's how they surface personalized recommendations to you.

All streaming services do that, Tidal, Qobuz, Apple, and Youtube for videos, etc.

Actually that makes perfect sense. I guess I should read the privacy policy. :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back