Roon is live
Dec 18, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #271 of 699
we don't speak of iTunes, although thats where i buy my tunes then copy and drop them on my antipode. And no iOS won't play flac, dsd....

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #272 of 699
we don't speak of iTunes, although thats where i buy my tunes then copy and drop them on my antipode. And no iOS won't play flac, dsd....

I don’t recommend that. :wink: it’s not even lossless. Buy the CD instead and rip aiff files. That’s what I do mostly.

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #274 of 699
meh don't notice any differences and at half the price... then i drop it on my antipodes it converts it to flac then roon does its thang, floating point whatevers, spectacular sound.
Now i have dropped monster flac or dsd files and can't say if its the master or if i can tell difference.
antipodes and roon core bliss..

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #275 of 699
Bliss is what it is all about. I don't know if I can hear the difference or not, but knowing my music isn't lossless would have we wondering what I was missing.

Dec 18, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #276 of 699
Roon iOS app can play higher res than what Apple even allows themselves (with the right DAC). I'm using my Chord Mojo and playing 24bit 88.2kHz files just fine on the iPhone, streaming from what is essentially my Roon server (a desktop iMac). The only negative to this is the iMac must be left on.

Apple themselves only allows native play up to 48kHz files. I'm not even sure if Apple will allow you to copy over a higher bitrate file for storage on iOS.

You can certainly copy over higher res files to an IOS device, probably just not through itunes music. I use the Onkyo HF player and use itunes to transfer up to 192/24 flac files.

Dec 18, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #277 of 699
Roon iOS app can play higher res than what Apple even allows themselves (with the right DAC). I'm using my Chord Mojo and playing 24bit 88.2kHz files just fine on the iPhone, streaming from what is essentially my Roon server (a desktop iMac). The only negative to this is the iMac must be left on.

Apple themselves only allows native play up to 48kHz files. I'm not even sure if Apple will allow you to copy over a higher bitrate file for storage on iOS.

See, it's cooler than you initially thought!

Dec 18, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #278 of 699
1.4 out today. Lot of improvements, biggest for me is iOS playback!
I'm a n00b with Roon, but that was the easiest update of just about any software. Of course, now my IOS devices won't connect to my core now, so I have to figure that out. I had to specify the IP address manually anyway since my WAPs (eero) is configured in NAT mode and it's not passing on the discovery packets, but even that does seem to be working.

Dec 18, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #279 of 699
See, it's cooler than you initially thought!
Not sure where you got the impression that I thought it wasn’t cool. In fact I even stated it was cool...What?

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #280 of 699
You can certainly copy over higher res files to an IOS device, probably just not through itunes music. I use the Onkyo HF player and use itunes to transfer up to 192/24 flac files.

Semi related question- do you use/recommend up-sampling mode in the Onkyo app?

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #281 of 699
Semi related question- do you use/recommend up-sampling mode in the Onkyo app?
I don't really have a recommendation. I am using upsampling if only because it's the default setting. The only DAC I pair my iphone with is the cipher cable with my isine10 or 20. Otherwise, I'm normally using the internal apple DAC. So, it might make a bigger difference with other DACs.

Dec 21, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #283 of 699
Dec 22, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #284 of 699
So I've been thinking about trying Roon and probably will soon. A couple of questions, and please bear with me:

Does the new 1.4 where you can use an iphone as an endpoint mean that I can connect my Mojo to a pair of active speakers and connect an oldish iphone to the Mojo and then use my new iphone as a remote and stream wireless Tidal, iphone to iphone? My Roon Core would be an Asus PC.

And does this make the Poly (for arguments sake let's assume the Poly is everything it promises to be after the coming updates and app release) slightly redundant for streaming Tidal at home to active speakers?

Hope that makes sense...

Dec 22, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #285 of 699
So I've been thinking about trying Roon and probably will soon. A couple of questions, and please bear with me:

Does the new 1.4 where you can use an iphone as an endpoint mean that I can connect my Mojo to a pair of active speakers and connect an oldish iphone to the Mojo and then use my new iphone as a remote and stream wireless Tidal, iphone to iphone? My Roon Core would be an Asus PC.

And does this make the Poly (for arguments sake let's assume the Poly is everything it promises to be after the coming updates and app release) slightly redundant for streaming Tidal at home to active speakers?

Hope that makes sense...

I'm assuming you're running Roon on a PC or server. In the scenario you mentioned Tidal would be streaming directly from your Roon application on your PC to your oldish iPhone then trough mojo to your active speakers. Your new iPhone would only be functioning as a remote control and nothing would be "streaming" thought it. The oldish iPhone must be capable of running Roon and iOS 11 of course as this is the minimum requirement for to run iPhone as a Roon endpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back