Roon is live
Nov 25, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #257 of 701
Anyone remembers if Roon had Black Friday deals on lifetime memberships in the previous years? Any hope for this Black Friday?
nope, never any deals. that would certainly hack off existing subscribers.

Dec 10, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #258 of 701
I just installed Roon yesterday. Saw a 60-day trial somewhere so finally decided to install. WOW. This product is fantastic. The scanning is way better than Audirvana - the metadata is more complete and the scanning is way more reliable than Audirvana ever was for me scanning a share off of my Synology. The zones took a bit of getting used to. I have 3 DACs connected to my hackintosh and I was even able to get different playback on each of the simultaneously just for fun. i set up a raspberry pi 3 as a bridge so I could connect to my McIntosh MX150 for my stereo/HT setup, but was bummed that that the RPI3 only output 48/16 over HDMI, so no better than using airplay to my AppleTV. I had an old mini PC that I loaded with Ubuntu and was able to get that outputting full res audio. Nice to see the Audeze presets so I started using my LCD-X again and they've never sounded better. Been having a lot of tech geek and audio fun this weekend. I'll definitely be buying a license.

Dec 11, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #259 of 701
Try usb on the RPI3. I have only used the rpi3's as a bridge with analog out (rca) and it works very well. There is a version of the bridge (by allo i think) that does coax/digital that would give you better performance. I love the pi as a bridge. I am experimenting with a microrendu right now.

Dec 18, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #260 of 701
1.4 out today. Lot of improvements, biggest for me is iOS playback!

Dec 18, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #261 of 701

I've always been able to use the iOS app to control Roon. If you mean the app can now play tracks stored in the iOS device, how do you do that? I checked out the update but am not seeing that.

Dec 18, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #262 of 701
Not control. It's an endpoint now, can only be seen on the iOS device.

Select the volume control, then switch zones, and you should see your iOS device.

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #263 of 701
Not control. It's an endpoint now, can only be seen on the iOS device.

Select the volume control, then switch zones, and you should see your iOS device.

I see. Pretty cool I guess if you are around the house and want to go portable or something but in that case I usually just play the tracks stored direct on my iPhone. I only have lossless on it. :)

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #264 of 701
Roon and antipodes audio, heaven

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #265 of 701
I see. Pretty cool I guess if you are around the house and want to go portable or something but in that case I usually just play the tracks stored direct on my iPhone. I only have lossless on it. :)

Yes, it is pretty cool even if you don't think so.....jeez.

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #266 of 701
Dec 18, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #267 of 701
From following the Roon forums, I gathered that the biggest hurdle for iOS remote playback was playback period. I can't speak for Roon, but I'm assuming that now remote playback can legitimately be put on the roadmap, whether a year from now or 3.

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #268 of 701

No kidding! For me, this is absolutely huge. I spend most of my time in my home office and doing school work, so this is just...amazeballs. There, I wrote it. Amazeballs!!!!

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #269 of 701
amauzing simply amauzzzzzing

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #270 of 701
Roon iOS app can play higher res than what Apple even allows themselves (with the right DAC). I'm using my Chord Mojo and playing 24bit 88.2kHz files just fine on the iPhone, streaming from what is essentially my Roon server (a desktop iMac). The only negative to this is the iMac must be left on.

Apple themselves only allows native play up to 48kHz files. I'm not even sure if Apple will allow you to copy over a higher bitrate file for storage on iOS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back