Roon is live
Aug 10, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #226 of 701
The big benefit for me is that I wont need to start my main computer to play music. With the NUC running ROCK it will always be ready.
Just have to wait for the amps to warm up for headphone listening or turn on the KEF LS50W.

Great. Here goes my upgraditis. Wonder if it's easy to migrate over and not lose my playlists, favs, tags, etc. I suppose I only need a NUC + HDD? Or is it a mini station with screen, keyboard, etc? I reckon I do have to read up on this being unfamiliar with Windows-based system.

UPDATE: I found this which probably explains everything I need to know.
()

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #227 of 701
Yep, those are good videos. I plan on installing ROCK on my NUC as the OS instead of windows and running it headless. I'm also going to see what the difference is using an internal SSD for the media files instead of my NAS. The SSD M.2 would only have the OS on it you can't store media on it. So you have to have a second SSD or Spinning Disk to put the media on if you're going to make it a standalone system. Just another fun way to spend money. :D

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #228 of 701
Sooo when you get this nuc going, I'm not capable and outsourced to antipodes, will anyone use a visualizer on your roon remote?

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #229 of 701
Not me, I won't have the pi endpoint or NUC hooked up to a monitor and the tablet screen just turns off.

I did look for an extension that could do it. But no joy there. You might ask in the roon forum.

Aug 10, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #230 of 701
That's something that didn't occur to me. I do access some features (DSP, device setup, lyrics, etc.) on my mac that don't appear in my remote app. I suppose I won't be able to anymore if I switch to a headless NUC-ROCK. Hmmm.

Aug 10, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #231 of 701
Is remote app on phone? I think it is optimized for phone display. but the setup options should still show up on the app on your mac. The rock just moves the core, you should still be able to control it the same way. I will see as soon as my memory shows up.

edit: yep, I just looked at my phone versus android tablet, vs the Win10 core I have now and the phone is missing the DSP setting and some of the Library manipulation items. It must be a processor capability thing. I hear the DSP takes a lot of oomph to drive.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #232 of 701
Maybe I could have the NUC connected to input 2 on my screen and switch that on when I need to access some features. Other times, it will just run headless in its own.

Aug 11, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #234 of 701
yep, he has a few other articles on it.
I went hifiberry and the roon-hifibeery bridge, it does wifi also.

Aug 11, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #236 of 701
Not yet it seems, but it is on the roadmap.

There are a few peope that have gotten it to work using something called chrome casst audio stream, but they say it does not sound as good...??
Have they started supporting Chromecast Audio yet?

Aug 25, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #239 of 701
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #240 of 701
I'm a lifer already. New roon update to boot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back