1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Roon is live

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by 7ryder, May 13, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Next

Last
  1. joseph69
    I know I'm very late to the party, but better late than never. I just finished reading this thread, and it seems most are very happy with Roon. I downloaded their 15-day free trial yesterday afternoon, and I'm also considering the addition of Tidal. This will be my second night listening to Roon coming from JRiver MC-21. I also intend to join the Roon Community Site as well to learn about the latest additions to Roon.

fordski likes this.
  2. canali
    welcome...the roon community is a great place to learn more deeply on what Roon and affiliates have to offer.
    i just took out their lifetime membership after my 2 mo trial was over (had 2 month due to being a microrendu customer)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  3. joseph69
    Thank you.
    I'm just learning how to navigate my way around and also enjoying the SQ of Roon which I'm finding different than JRiver so far.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  4. fordski
    Welcome as well. Hope it works out well for you. I bought the lifetime membership shortly after it launched and have been enjoying it ever since. The ability to have multiple zones to access is so convenient. I find when I listen using Roon I spend a lot of my time reading up on my favourite and new artists just like we used to when reading the album notes on vinyl. Roon has evolved a lot over the past couple of years with added functionality and additional capabilities. The latest addition of the ability to use iPeng to turn an iOS device into a remote player has been just awesome for transportable use around the house.

I think you'll find it to be a great addition to your music experience. Enjoy!

5. joseph69
    Thank you.
    So far I'm enjoying what I'm hearing, and how easy the UI is as well.

6. joseph69
    Quick question: If I subscribe to Tidal, will my files and Tidals files be integrated, or separate from each other?
    I would rather be able to see just my files if I wish.
    Thanks!

7. DrTone
    The integration is pretty nice. The Tidal content will be clearly labeled. I think you will find you won't want to filter just on your content. If you have a local copy of album ripped and the Tidal version you can mark one as primary in Roon and it will only play back that version by default.

The integration is top notch.

8. joseph69
    Thanks for the info.
    So no way to keep Roon/Tidal separate from each other at all because they will integrate automatically being I have Roon, correct?

9. DrTone
    No way to keep them separate. You could filter on one or the other and save a bookmark to that filter if you really only want to see one or the other.

10. fordski
    It really depends on how you want to use Tidal. For me I've completely changed the way I consume music and about half or more of my music listening is with Tidal as I find myself listening to more new music and less from my local library.

There are a couple of ways you can keep Tidal separate.

The simplest way is to never add Tidal music to your Roon library. There is an option when you select a Tidal album to listen to, to add it to your library via a button beside the play button, in which case it will show up in your Roon library. This I what I do to supplement my local library. The downside of this is that if you want to keep an album available from Tidal for future listening you must go back into Tidal and find it again or favourite it in a separate Tidal App.

The other option is to use the focus function which does give you the ability to focus only on your local library. It's a bit convoluted but here's the process:

1. Select any view under the library section in the drop down menu. (Artist, albums, etc.)
    2. Select focus at the top left of the screen. A pop up will apear at the bottom.
    3. At the far right of the pop up there is a box called inspector. Select it.
    4. In the Inspector box click on the link "storage locations"
    5. Tick the box for Tidal Library.
    6. At the top of storage locations box a green box will appear with Tidal Libray. At this point your library is only showing your Tidal selections.
    7. Click on the green box and it will toggle red which now means your library is now showing all your music EXCEPT the Tidal selections.

So there are ways to view your library without Tidal and I believe you can also do it through tagging but I've no experience with that. Personally I found after awhile I didn't bother to differentiate between Tidal and local files and as @DrTone mentioned you can select which ones you want as primary.

Also one tip when setting up Tidal an option will appear to add Essential Selections, I personally bypass that step as it will add a curated bunch of music to your library.

There's a lot of good tips on the Roon Communities and also in the Roon knowledge base that are quite helpful. https://kb.roonlabs.com/

Have fun!

11. joseph69
    So there is ways to keep Tidal separate!
    Thank you both for your replies. I'm going to see if their is a free Tidal trial through Roon…if not I'll just purchase a 1 month subscription.
    I had Tidal when it first came out years ago, but canceled, but I would like to try it again so I could discover some new music!

12. joseph69
    I just added a Tidal track to my Roon playlist which will be coming up next. How do I know if Tidal is playing in "Hi-Fi" mode?
    Or is this irrelevant because Tidal is playing over Roon>microRendu?
    Thanks

13. joseph69
    Just took a look at my Roon signal path and the source shows: "Tidal FLAC 44.1kHz 16bit 2ch". Should I also be seeing "Hi-Fi" in the description as well?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  14. fordski
    I'm not entirely certain of this, but I believe Roon only plays Tidal Hifi. You can verify the bit rate etc. by clicking on the blue light next to the song title on the progress bar at the bottom.

15. joseph69
    Yes, the blue light is the signal path which showed
    "Tidal FLAC 44.1kHz 16bit 2ch" as the source.

First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Next

Last