Room Treatment/Room Acoustics
Dec 14, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #16 of 30
You know what 71db, you are correct, I take that back (partially) because my own center speaker has no flat bottom (due to curved cabinet) and comes with rubber pads, a bit like the IsoPods that accommodate the curvature of the speaker. They allow for a slightly inclined angle, and alleviate surface reflections from whatever might be holding the central speaker. I'd say that these are workarounds for compromised issues from the start, and those especially relevant to center speakers because they often have to be placed on top of or bottom of a screen. The inability to place at ear level, horizontal dispersion, and fact that they often sit on shelves or inside of media centers, makes acoustics all the worse. But never mind that, I don't mean to go on about center speakers. The point is, yes, in certain compromised circumstances it is a good idea to tilt speakers up.

What a nice and matured response! :thumbsup:

It's indeed the general idea that you can tilt your pc speakers or center speakers up to compensate challenging acoustic environment and location. Normal hi-fi speakers are supposed to be located so that there's not need for tilting (acoustically good places and on correct altitude).

Dec 14, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #17 of 30
Nearfield speakers don't require nearly as much bother as full size speakers do. I think it would be better to just move the whole thing out of the corner and slide the speakers forward a bit. Then you'd probably not need any treatment at all. And you don't get any soundstage at all if you toe in the speakers like he had it before.

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #19 of 30
Nice. Not too expensive, and get's the job done. I've heard Ethan Winer talk about using pizza boxes before, so acoustic isolation doesn't need to cost an arm and a leg. As long as they are at ear level, and not causing resonance with the desk, now you just play with speaker distance, spread, and toe angle. Just keep in mind that the further you can get them from the wall, and the more you treat the wall itself, the better it will be for the sound. 1.5-2ft would be great it achievable.

+1

I use stacks of books to get my speakers up closer to ear level so that I don't have to angle them up. More stable than pizza boxes. :o2smile:

Dec 26, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #20 of 30
Are you supposed to take the pizza out first? Does pepperoni add spice to the sound?

Jan 23, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #21 of 30
A bit of a gravebump but I thought I would chime in and mention that having a glass window right there next to your listening position has got to be causing some funky peaks / nulls. The shades should help but if you find you're having issues with interference at high frequencies, I would look into a heavier window treatment (e.g. thicker curtain) before anything else. When talking acoustic treatment, glass is often public enemy #1.

Jan 23, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #22 of 30
A bit of a gravebump but I thought I would chime in and mention that having a glass window right there next to your listening position has got to be causing some funky peaks / nulls. The shades should help but if you find you're having issues with interference at high frequencies, I would look into a heavier window treatment (e.g. thicker curtain) before anything else. When talking acoustic treatment, glass is often public enemy #1.

Thanks for that advice. My headphones now kinda don't interest me anymore........ all this time buying and selling headphones when I could have just gotten a speaker setup for around the same price or even cheaper. I've got them placed a lot better now, my only issue is certain bass notes vibrate the table. Putting them on a stand fixed the issue (I need to get tall ones though). I tried raising them with stacks of printing paper under the foam pads, same bass issue, moved the table 12 inches from the wall, bass issue persisted. My only option now is to get stands and place them behind the table, but I think that may also cause issues. I LOVE these to death though regardless, and I don't think I'll want to get anything but speakers with horn tweeters. They sound SO realistic.

I have access to a friends' pair of rokits to see if they would be better suited for my desktop because of the proximity to the wall, and move these JBLS into my room.

Jan 23, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #23 of 30
Oh, and I used to have a pair of cheap bookshelf speakers before these on my table with front bass ports; they also exhibited the same bass issue, but I didn't use them much because my headphones sounded far better.

EDIT: The shades stay closed majority of the time.

Jan 23, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #24 of 30
Jan 23, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #25 of 30
Have you tried putting the speakers on top of folded up hand towels?
Just put a towel under the isolation pads and same thing. moving them to the edge of the front of the table helps. But lifting them up from the table - gone.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #26 of 30
Is it direct conduction? If so, all you need is isolation that works.

Jan 24, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #27 of 30
Unfortunately, isolation pads are not the magic elixir they are touted to be by those who sell them. If you have cabinet resonance issues, then they can help. But bass is coming from the driver through the air. The isolation pad doesn't do anything for that.

You can try putting Dynamat on the underside of the table. That might help.

Jan 24, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #28 of 30
it can be tricky. I've had such an issue not with my speakers, but with my laptop right in the middle of the desk. the second mechanical drive was making my desk resonate like a mofo. I tried a bunch of things like folded towel, pillow, big fat mouse pad, blocks of foam, sorbothane, I even went to cut some old running shoes thinking they had to know how to attenuate a vibration. nothing removed it completely but I got various levels of attenuation(I say that because I could still measure it). but what this little hunting game told me, is that it's not an intuitive problem, or at the very least, that my intuition sucks bad ^_^.
the idea of decoupling is simple enough in my head, but somehow it doesn't work as well as I imagined. and same thing for me, taking even part of the laptop up with my hand would remove the resonance. I hope you find a good solution, speaker stands away from the table would be the obvious answer but it's extra cost and placement isn't always easy depending on the room. I did manage to make the sound not really noticeable(in the middle of fan noises and music playing), but small displacement would ruin it all. so I ended up getting another SSD like a weak guy that I am, and gave up trying to fight the problem head on.
on the other hand, as I said my speakers were slightly annoying but because of reflection more than vibration of the desk, so it's a different issue. and the first stuff I put under the speakers to elevate them solved my problem. I got lucky on that one.

Jan 24, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #29 of 30
the idea of decoupling is simple enough in my head, but somehow it doesn't work as well as I imagined. and same thing for me, taking even part of the laptop up with my hand would remove the resonance.

That's most likely because your hand is acting as a vibration dampener. That's why Dynamat very well could help if you put it on the underside of a desk. Or you could put Dynamat all over a laptop, but then it would look pretty strange to haul around :beyersmile:

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #30 of 30
That's most likely because your hand is acting as a vibration dampener. That's why Dynamat very well could help if you put it on the underside of a desk. Or you could put Dynamat all over a laptop, but then it would look pretty strange to haul around :beyersmile:
oh it is indeed. but I had the opportunity to remove the bother entirely so I went for it instead of trying to find the best band-aid. attenuation was easy to get with more or less success. it's the magnitude of it that was kind of disappointing to me despite how predictable it should have been if I had just stopped to think about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back