Romi Audio - The official thread
Dec 27, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #197 of 925
Romi has 20% off end of year sale on everything on their site until January 15th.
Pulled the trigger on the BX-2+ and the protecting case. Now, the BX-2+ officially will meet the Phatlab Chimera for a H2H. Deathmatch ahead guys.

Single DD, hybrid (DD/x-BA), BA-only and CIEM earphones via 3.5 and 4.4mm HO, full-size ATH-WP900 and DTR1/Calyx M DAPs for the test. Different sound signatures will be covered.

Meanwhile, happy new year in advance. Happy to be back on the Romi-thread.

Take care all you.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #198 of 925
PayPal made my day: CHF 666.06 for the whole set. The BX-2+ seems to be devilishly good:smiling_imp:

Dec 27, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #199 of 925
Pulled the trigger on the BX-2+ and the protecting case. Now, the BX-2+ officially will meet the Phatlab Chimera for a H2H. Deathmatch ahead guys.

Single DD, hybrid (DD/x-BA), BA-only and CIEM earphones via 3.5 and 4.4mm HO, full-size ATH-WP900 and DTR1/Calyx M DAPs for the test. Different sound signatures will be covered.

Take care all you.
How's the Phatlab Chimera's sound signature? I am eyeing Cayin C9 for the Korg Nutube, but haven't heard a lot on the Phatlab.

Dec 27, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #200 of 925
How's the Phatlab Chimera's sound signature? I am eyeing Cayin C9 for the Korg Nutube, but haven't heard a lot on the Phatlab.
The Chimera is very powerful and clean on Jfet mode (solid state). It shows a very faint warmth, but it’s really not dominant, at least for me. You can use pretty anything you like as drivers, excepting very sensitive ones, and you get true amplification. Clean and distortion-free.

I think @Whitigir has posted a review a year ago. His review convinced me to pull the trigger, actually.

Impressive are the black background and the volume incremental smoothness. Moreover, how the sound emerges from anywhere as if it was just « normal » makes it a no-brainer for anyone with pretty deep pockets and looking for a natural/slightly warm amp with a good battery life.

Switching to tube mode, beware not using sensitive IEMs, it might be too loud. It is, actually. Choose a slightly clearer yet less sensitive set and there you go. I won’t make a dissertation about synergy, but you got the message already I assume :)

Having said that, I will keep any further statement reserved until the Bx-2+ knocked at the door.

A very short impression report about built quality and sound will be posted. Then, I will behave as a brown bear and take my time before posting my review about these two beasts.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #201 of 925
The Chimera is very powerful and clean on Jfet mode (solid state). It shows a very faint warmth, but it’s really not dominant, at least for me. You can use pretty anything you like as drivers, excepting very sensitive ones, and you get true amplification. Clean and distortion-free.

I think @Whitigir has posted a review a year ago. His review convinced me to pull the trigger, actually.

Impressive are the black background and the volume incremental smoothness. Moreover, how the sound emerges from anywhere as if it was just « normal » makes it a no-brainer for anyone with pretty deep pockets and looking for a natural/slightly warm amp with a good battery life.

Switching to tube mode, beware not using sensitive IEMs, it might be too loud. It is, actually. Choose a slightly clearer yet less sensitive set and there you go. I won’t make a dissertation about synergy, but you got the message already I assume :)

Having said that, I will keep any further statement reserved until the Bx-2+ knocked at the door.

A very short impressions’ report about built quality and sound will be posted. Then, I will behave as a brown bear and take my time before posting my review about these two beasts.
Thanks!! Do you plan to keep both? :D

Dec 27, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #202 of 925
Thanks!! Do you plan to keep both? :D
Time will tell, but proper listening and comparing time will force me to keep both of them for a few weeks. Not being in a delicate financial situation anymore, I might keep both, yes. If one amp clearly tops the other one, I will let one go.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #203 of 925

Take care all you.
Congrats. It is a very detailed, clear amp. It doesn't rely on pushing volume to create the illusion of quality. Don't expect coloration. I leave the amp at 3/4 and sometimes I choose a touch further and allow my source to control my volume.

Dec 28, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #205 of 925
Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #206 of 925

Take care all you.
the authority in drive power that the BX2 plus has, is just amazing. For it to drive with authority my hifiman he1000v1 to perfection, was an eye opening experience, as I had many portable amps or amp/dacs ( hugo2, ifi micro BL, Alo campfire RX MK B+, and many others ) non gave me the full desktop experience as the BX2 plus. Those other portable gears I had, yes they can get the sound loud, but everything starts to break apart in sound quality. While the Bx2 plus has all the power and gets things loud with perfect preservation of the sound quality

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #207 of 925
Congrats. It is a very detailed, clear amp. It doesn't rely on pushing volume to create the illusion of quality. Don't expect coloration. I leave the amp at 3/4 and sometimes I choose a touch further and allow my source to control my volume.
the authority in drive power that the BX2 plus, is just amazing. For it to drive with authority my hifiman he1000v1 to perfection, was an eye opening experience, as I had many portable amps or amp/dacs ( hugo2, ifi micro BL, Alo campfire RX MK B+, and many others ) non gave me the full desktop experience as the BX2 plus. Those other portable gears I had, yes they can get the sound loud, but everything starts to break apart in sound quality. While the Bx2 plus has all the power and gets things loud with perfect preservation of the sound quality
Thanks both of you for your detailed return about the BX2+. I am even more excited now :wink:

Dec 28, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #208 of 925
OK so I just tested. I was wrong - balanced in and balanced out produces higher output. And this is tested on my Lotoo 6000 which as far as I know has same line out power on balanced and SE. However, running SE input to balanced output is same power and quality (to my ears) as fully balanced. You can see the interconnects I'm using here.

16091050959653015234461633126422.jpg
Thank you very much for taking your time to test it! So if I understand you correctly: fully balanced (in and out) has more power but the soundquality should be the same as SE in and balanced out? Or did I get something wrong here?

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #210 of 925
but why do you do that, why not set the line out on your source and just use the volume control on bx2 plus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back