Romi Audio - The official thread
Oct 22, 2020 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 925

F700

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased the Romi Audio BX-1 portable amp (known as LessFox BX-1) to give extra power and enhance the sound of my DAPs, the Calyx M and Dethonray DTR1. I am an "amp" man and really like the BX-1, especially considering the price/performance ratio and the built quality.

That's the reason I think Romi Audio deserves its official thread.

Romi Audio not only builds portable amps (BX-2 Plus, BX-1 and HD8) and audio cables, but mods DAPs from any brands in the first place. Dino, the guy behind Romi (if not mistaken) already enjoys a certain reputation in the audio realm and I have been seeing more and more positive feedback from happy customers since a few months now. The most of them regarding modded DAPs and portable amps. Romi seems to broaden its offering with a pair of BA-only IEM and a full-sized closed headphone. From what I have understood, Romi designs amps and fine-tunes sound from third-party manufactured components/hardware.

Please check the official website in order to get a full picture of Romi's offering: https://www.romiaudio.com

HF fellows and proud Romi Audio customers as @noplsestar @Nostoi and the unforgettable @jmills8 have more experience than I have so far with this nice Hong-Kong boutique.

So, please feel free to ask your questions and share your impressions on this thread, not only about the portable amps, but for any products or mods performed by Romi.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 925
Romi will open a modification service point in the UK in December 2020

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 925
Some pictures of the BX-1 with my DAPs (already posted on different forums)

image0.jpeg

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 925
Count me in (photo also duplicated on other threads).

In addition, I would like to add that I tested my 600ohm DT770 with the BX2 Plus and the results were sublime. I rarely listen to the DT770 these days, but every-time I do, I'm amazed at the sound quality for a pair of headphones that costs no more than 200 Euros (the same could be said for the MSR7B). The additional power of the BX2 Plus finally renders 600ohm DT770 portable, well semi-portable.

P1070617.jpg
P1070621.JPG

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 925
Oct 22, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 925
Count me in (photo also duplicated on other threads).

In addition, I would like to add that I tested my 600ohm DT770 with the BX2 Plus and the results were sublime. I rarely listen to the DT770 these days, but every-time I do, I'm amazed at the sound quality for a pair of headphones that costs no more than 200 Euros (the same could be said for the MSR7B). The additional power of the BX2 Plus finally renders 600ohm DT770 portable, well semi-portable.

Beautiful pictures and color/material combination... I am saving for the BX-2 Plus, no way I don't get one :wink:

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 925
Well you need to get one so you can compare with the Phatlab Chimera :beerchug:
@jmills8 have both I think, but I now need/want to get these beasts in the cage for a deathmatch hahaha

The Phatlab is a power monster with a very clean background. Still, it is not suited for sensitive BA-only IEMs. It's the perfect companion of the Final E5000 in 4.4mm or even the Sony N3. These small bullets love power like there is no tomorrow.

The Chimera surely will drive a large portion of full-sized headphones with ease.... but back to Romi!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #10 of 925
@jmills8 have both I think, but I now need/want to get these beasts in the cage for a deathmatch hahaha

The Phatlab is a power monster with a very clean background. Still, it is not suited for sensitive BA-only IEMs. It's the perfect companion of the Final E5000 in 4.4mm or even the Sony N3. These small bullets love power like there is no tomorrow.

The Chimera surely will drive a large portion of full-sized headphones with ease.
Yes, I'd also love to throw the Mass Kobo 428 into the mix, which @jmills8 has also had, I gather.

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #11 of 925
2 years ago, I never would have thought how a good amp can improve sound out of a DAP. Now, point of no return in my case. And when you think, DTR1 + BX-1 = USD 900.-. If you don't need fancy features, you are set, source wise.

I am certain that there are cheaper daps with extra features that would sound amazing with the BX-1, or even more with a BX-2 Plus...

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #12 of 925
Thank you very much @F700 for creating this thread!

As you have said, I am a happy Romi Audio customer since a few months now. First I got my Calyx M modded, now I also possess the BX-1 amp. Those two are meant to be together! (As seen in the picture below)

As said in other threads before, I am kind of interested in getting the HD8 amp (because I fear the BX-2 plus is a bit too big to carry around - at least it won’t fit into my pocket anymore), so I kept asking them about the HD8. Here are some explanations in a very bad English (so I am more than happy to learn that they will open up a dependence in London!!!!)

As our BX series
nearly no change the input sound
this is a High End design
if you using Calyx M
Output will nearly Calyx M output
If you using Sony WM1Z
Output will nearly WM1Z
just boost up the Current output. More power more detail and soundstage
As HD8
this is a Musical and Vocal Class A amplifier
will change the sound on your Calyx M
Maybe using Calyx M or WM1Z
also nealy HD8 sound
So why BX1 is higher price than HD8“

also:
„HD8 better on Vocal and musical
BX1 is nearly no change with your source DAP
Both are class A and output power is same“

and:
„HD8 is warm style
Tuning for Vocal and dynamic range
BX1 nearly no any tuning
Just boost up the output power“

soooo, I guess I won’t get it for now because it seems to be warmer than wanted with my calyx M.

BUT if there is someone out there possessing that little blue beauty, please share your impressions.

Well, I think at the latest when @F700 will get his BX-2 plus in the near future, I will have to buy it too :wink:

883EF1DF-1386-4350-8690-11D7ECD1D881.jpeg

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #13 of 925
Thank you very much @F700 for creating this thread!

As you have said, I am a happy Romi Audio customer since a few months now. First I got my Calyx M modded, now I also possess the BX-1 amp. Those two are meant to be together! (As seen in the picture below)

As said in other threads before, I am kind of interested in getting the HD8 amp (because I fear the BX-2 plus is a bit too big to carry around - at least it won’t fit into my pocket anymore), so I kept asking them about the HD8. Here are some explanations in a very bad English (so I am more than happy to learn that they will open up a dependence in London!!!!)

As our BX series
nearly no change the input sound
this is a High End design
if you using Calyx M
Output will nearly Calyx M output
If you using Sony WM1Z
Output will nearly WM1Z
just boost up the Current output. More power more detail and soundstage
As HD8
this is a Musical and Vocal Class A amplifier
will change the sound on your Calyx M
Maybe using Calyx M or WM1Z
also nealy HD8 sound
So why BX1 is higher price than HD8“

also:
„HD8 better on Vocal and musical
BX1 is nearly no change with your source DAP
Both are class A and output power is same“

and:
„HD8 is warm style
Tuning for Vocal and dynamic range
BX1 nearly no any tuning
Just boost up the output power“

soooo, I guess I won’t get it for now because it seems to be warmer than wanted with my calyx M.

BUT if there is someone out there possessing that little blue beauty, please share your impressions.

Well, I think at the latest when @F700 will get his BX-2 plus in the near future, I will have to buy it too :wink:

Thanks mate for your contribution in here. About the BX-2 Plus, in the deep rabbit hole we go together. Group order anyone? ahahah

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #14 of 925
@Nostoi: you have mentioned the ATH-MSR7B, only pair of full sized-headphones I own, after I sold my armada (Final Sonorous X, Sony Z1R and LCD-X). They might be cheap looking and everything, but these rock soundwise. I will try them with the BX-1, thanks for the tip amigo

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #15 of 925
@Nostoi: you have mentioned the ATH-MSR7B, only pair of full sized-headphones I own, after I sold my armada (Final Sonorous X, Sony Z1R and LCD-X). They might be cheap looking and everything, but these rock soundwise. I will try them with the BX-1, thanks for the tip amigo
Oh I agree. They punch way above their price range. Build indeed is a bit light, but technical performance is truly outstanding, especially imaging. Do let me know how they sound with the BX1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back