Rolling Stones SACDs
Oct 31, 2002 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

squirt

500+ Head-Fier
Now that 22 Rolling Stone albums have been released on SACD i'm looking into getting one or at most two of the albums. Since i've never had a Stones album i have no idea which are their "best" albums so i would like some opinions from Head-fi members which albums they would pick as their favorite(s)
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2002 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 49
I got Hot Rocks 1964-1971.
I got this for two reasons. One; I am not a big fan and two; I have this on cassette and liked it.
The only bad side is this one is a double cd and costs more than the others.

Oct 31, 2002 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 49
I haven't had much exposure to the Stones, and my first purchase was Hot Rocks (1964-1971). I really like the CDs and it makes me want to buy more (when I can afford them!).

Oct 31, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 49
I have on SACD:

1. Between the Buttons (UK version)
2. Aftermath (UK version)
3. Beggars Banquet
4. Let it Bleed
5. Big Hits, volume II
6. Metamorphosis

I'd recommend 1-5 highly. Sound is great. I'd especially recommend Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed.

Nov 1, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 49
Thanks for all your replies...perhaps not surprising, i had already been considering the three albums mentioned here...i was leaning toward Hot Rocks but a friend of mine who's a Stones fan likewise recommended Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed, with a preference toward Let It Bleed so i think i'll start with that album and see if i like it. i should note that i've never been a Stones fan but would like to try these new SACD remasters being that there's been some good press about their quality and who knows, i might just become a convert...
thanks again
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Yep, I'm about to order a couple, and it's definitely Beggars Banquet and Let it Bleed.

kerely

Those will be my next Rolling Stones CD purchases. I have the hybrid SACD/CD editions of Hot Rocks 1964-71 and More Hot Rocks (Big Hits and Fazed Cookies). I had previously owned the older 1980's remastered edition of Let It Bleed -- and that version was a bit muddy-sounding.

Nov 1, 2002 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 49
Hot Rocks will be all you need for a very long time probably the finest "greatest hits" package ever assembled!

Nov 2, 2002 at 2:57 AM Post #11 of 49
Exile On Main Street is the most reverred Stones album of all time and has been a perennial favorite on every critics poll of the best rock albums of all time for the last 30 years. It's may not be the best album for the uninitiated Stones fan since it is not really a commercial album in most ways. There is no direction here or attempts at making an album with any sort of vision behind it and as a result what you get is two LP's worth of material that is sometimes nothing more than a Stones jams put to tape. Some of it sounds as if it has never been completed or even mixed.

It was recorded at Muscle Shoals Sound and there is a very realistic overall sound to it.

Sticky Fingers on the other hand should definitely be considered in the group with Beggrs Banquet and Let it Bleed. It is definitely one of their best.

Between the buttons will probably be unrecognizable as a Stones album and really sounds more like the Smashing Pumkins, only thirty years earlier.

Their Satanic Majesty Requests is the original rock group gone to the devil album and it's another recording that doesn't sound so much like the Stones. It's very moody and other wordly with a ton of psychedelics thrown in for good measure. Some Stones fans hate it and other like myslef absolutely love it.

Metamorphosis, Made In the Shade probably should be avoided. They were only put out to fulfill a management contract with Allen Klien and in the case of Made In the Shade it is nothing more than outakes from earlier albums. Mick warned the public not to buy it at the time.

The earliest Stoines albums England's Newest Hitmakers, 12 X 5 and The Rolling Stones Now are all great albums. They are bare bones, blues based rock-n-roll with absolutely no frills. Stones music, in other words.

Hope that helps.

Best
Brian

Nov 2, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by bkelly
[/B]

Quote:

Exile On Main Street is the most reverred Stones album of all time and has been a perennial favorite on every critics poll of the best rock albums of all time for the last 30 years. It's may not be the best album for the uninitiated Stones fan since it is not really a commercial album in most ways. There is no direction here or attempts at making an album with any sort of vision behind it and as a result what you get is two LP's worth of material that is sometimes nothing more than a Stones jams put to tape. Some of it sounds as if it has never been completed or even mixed.

It is, by far, the best Stones album and, IMO, the best rock and roll album ever made.

Quote:

It was recorded at Muscle Shoals Sound and there is a very realistic overall sound to it.

Are you sure about this one? Most of it was recorded at the castle that Keith lived in in the South of France.

Quote:

Metamorphosis, Made In the Shade probably should be avoided. They were only put out to fulfill a management contract with Allen Klien and in the case of Made In the Shade it is nothing more than outakes from earlier albums. Mick warned the public not to buy it at the time.

Made In the Shade is a greatest hits album, the first that came out of the Stones' Rolling Stones Records stuff. Metamorphosis is the outtakes album that fulfilled the Klein contract. I agree with you about one thing, though--it is pretty bad. SACD doesn't save it.

Nov 2, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #14 of 49
FCJ,

You may be right about Made In The Shade. I just remember not thinking much of it and I didn't like the cover much either.

The Muscle Shoals reference is right out of Keith's mouth from a recent interview. I was kind of surprised too to find out that according to Keith the whole records was done there. I thjought it was compiled from several recording sessions including stuff done with the Stones Mobile Recording Studio. What is your opinion.

I have noticed lately that a lot of facts about the Stones recordings are begining to surface. Such as which songs are recorded with Keith playing all the guitars and bass parts sometimes. It's long been known that many of the piano parts, guitar parts and a lot of the percussion is actually Mick but I see it is now being docummented and credited to him.

I don't know what album they are from but The France stuff is Wild Horses, Live With Me, Monkey Man etc. Even the lyrics are describing living and hanging around Keith's castle.

Most of this stuff is from memory and I don't claim to be an expert on the Stones but I think this is all correct.

Best
Brian

Nov 2, 2002 at 12:39 PM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by bkelly
FCJ,

You may be right about Made In The Shade. I just remember not thinking much of it and I didn't like the cover much either.

The Muscle Shoals reference is right out of Keith's mouth from a recent interview. I was kind of surprised too to find out that according to Keith the whole records was done there. I thjought it was compiled from several recording sessions including stuff done with the Stones Mobile Recording Studio. What is your opinion.

I have noticed lately that a lot of facts about the Stones recordings are begining to surface. Such as which songs are recorded with Keith playing all the guitars and bass parts sometimes. It's long been known that many of the piano parts, guitar parts and a lot of the percussion is actually Mick but I see it is now being docummented and credited to him.

I don't know what album they are from but The France stuff is Wild Horses, Live With Me, Monkey Man etc. Even the lyrics are describing living and hanging around Keith's castle.

Most of this stuff is from memory and I don't claim to be an expert on the Stones but I think this is all correct.

Best
Brian

Brian,

According to what I found in the book "Old Gods Almost Dead: The 40-Year Odyssey of the Rolling Stones" the basic tracks for Exile were recorded in Keith's Nellcote villa in Villefranche. In January, 1972 the Stones finished the tracks at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles. Bill Wyman plays bass on only eight of the 18 Exile tracks.

Again, according to the book, the Stones did initial recordings for Sticky Fingers at Muscle Shoals Sound Studio. In fact, the scene in "Gimme Shelter" where Mick and Keith are listening to "Wild Horses" is taken from Muscle Shoals.

The "Made in the Shade" cover is pretty bad, I agree.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back