Rolling Stones Newbie + SACD
Aug 20, 2002 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
These new SACD hybrids have really intruigued me. My Stereophile just came today, and even they have a blurb about them. I've got a few questions about them. . .

1) I don't have an SACD player. Yet. I might in the future, though. I'd buy this discs under the assumption that they might be a starter for a future SACD collection. Is the CD side remastered well also?

2) Is there a hit in quality from hybrid discs to pure SACD discs?

3) Which album should I get? I haven't really listened to the Stones. . . so, any picks?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
These new SACD hybrids have really intruigued me. My Stereophile just came today, and even they have a blurb about them. I've got a few questions about them. . .

1) I don't have an SACD player. Yet. I might in the future, though. I'd buy this discs under the assumption that they might be a starter for a future SACD collection. Is the CD side remastered well also?

2) Is there a hit in quality from hybrid discs to pure SACD discs?

3) Which album should I get? I haven't really listened to the Stones. . . so, any picks?
smily_headphones1.gif

1. YES

2. NO

3. Let it Bleed

Beggar's Banquet

Some Girls

Exile on Main St

Sticky Fingers

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2002 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 56
I'm not sure that all RickG's suggestions have been re-mastered. It's only their earlier material.

There's a 3-disc singles set that's cram packed with their best early material. That's what I'll be buying, anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

markl

Aug 20, 2002 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 56
do you have a price on that?

Basically, out of all those hybrids, which one do you think best represents the rolling stones? I know this is tough. . . but if you were give ONE disc to a newbie(me
smily_headphones1.gif
) Which one would it be?

Aug 20, 2002 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 56
Try Hot Rocks 1964-1971.

Classic. This is a great starting point.

The Stones discs that were rematered are all the ABKCO records releases.

Here is the press release from June:

Rolling Stones Catalog Remastered for SACD Release

New York, NY (June 11, 2001)--Twenty-two classic Rolling Stones albums are set to be released in the SACD format on August 20th. It is the entire Rolling Stones catalog that was released in the '60s and early '70s on ABKCO/London Records (known as ABKCO/Decca in the rest of the world). Some of the albums included in the reissues are Let It Bleed, Out of Our Heads, December's Children, Beggars Banquet, 12x5, and The Rolling Stones, Now!. The discs will be double-layered, with both standard and high-resolution versions available on each release.

According to ABKCO, the restoration process for The Rolling Stones Remastered Series started with hundreds of hours of painstaking research on both sides of the Atlantic to determine the analog sources most true to the original Rolling Stones studio recordings.

Final mastering for all albums was completed under the direction of Bob Ludwig, who states, "While three generations of music fans, myself included, are all quite familiar with the Stones' material, DSD has afforded us the opportunity to showcase both their brilliance and rough edges all over again in a meaningful way."

Universal will be handling worldwide distribution for the Series, which has a suggested retail price of $18.98 for single-disc packages.

Aug 20, 2002 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 56
andrzejpw, I don't know which Stones albums have been remastered. I was just giving you a list of my favorites. Since you don't have any of their stuff, Markl's and scottpaul_iu's
suggestion's regarding a "greatest hits" package would probably be a good place to start.

Cheers,

Aug 20, 2002 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 56
They've re-mastered Hot Rocks 1 and 2, but I'm not sure why when there's a lower priced 3CD set that has more material and costs less. Hot Rocks are two CD sets with only 10 or so songs on each disc. This is an exspensive way to get a subset of their greatest hits. The 3CD set has more like 20 songs per CD and is a much better value IMO.

markl

Aug 21, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 56
Markl,

The 3 CD set is a singles collection. It contains versions from that were edited down in length for radio airplay when the singles were originally released (meaning 60s and 70s).

Aug 21, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by scottpaul_iu
Markl,

The 3 CD set is a singles collection. It contains versions from that were edited down in length for radio airplay when the singles were originally released (meaning 60s and 70s).

Isn't that the set that Virgin's releasing containing: (1) licensed ABKCO material; (2) material released on Rolling Stones Records (which is not being remastered, at least for now), and; (3) a few new songs?

Aug 21, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ

Isn't that the set that Virgin's releasing containing: (1) licensed ABKCO material; (2) material released on Rolling Stones Records (which is not being remastered, at least for now), and; (3) a few new songs?

No. It's based on the singles from the London (record label, not city) years.

Aug 21, 2002 at 11:36 AM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Is there a list of those discs that will be released?

A complete listing of the album titles in ABKCO's The Rolling Stones Remastered Series follows:
England's Newest Hitmakers
12x5
The Rolling Stones Now
Out Of Our Heads
Out of Our Heads - UK Version
December's Children
Big Hits (High Tide & Green Grass)
Aftermath
Aftermath - UK Version
Got Live If You Want It!
Between The Buttons
Between The Buttons - UK Version
Flowers
Their Satanic Majesties Request
Beggars Banquet
Through The Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol.2)
Let It Bleed
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
Hot Rocks
More Hot Rocks
The Rolling Stones Singles Collection - The London Years
Metamorphosis - UK Version

Aug 21, 2002 at 4:10 PM Post #13 of 56
I'm also a Stones newbie and I will be purchasing "Let it Bleed" when it comes out.

Aug 21, 2002 at 4:56 PM Post #14 of 56
I would recommend for beginners to ABKCO label Stones to get the "hot rocks" greatest hits collection, decent selection of early Stones hits, current CD has poor sound but hopefully new SACD/CD release will improve matters.

The Rolling Stones most people know best (especially under age 40) will be on Virgin label Stones albums, they will release greatest hits collection called "40 licks" later this fall. Trying to capitalize on Beatles "1" release which has sold almost 9 million copies by repackaging existing catalog.

If the ABKCO releases sell well (which I'm sure they will) look for Virgin/EMI to get Bob Ludwig to master SACD/CD versions of Virgin catalog Stones also..........Can the Beatles catalog be far behind?

Aug 21, 2002 at 5:56 PM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel

If the ABKCO releases sell well (which I'm sure they will) look for Virgin/EMI to get Bob Ludwig to master SACD/CD versions of Virgin catalog Stones also..........Can the Beatles catalog be far behind?

man, i'll be first in line for that! i'd love a box set of every beatles album on sacd/hybrid.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back