Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Sep 29, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #1,861 of 3,218
WOOT!!!WOOT!!!

my B22 is up a running
beyersmile.png
. i had difficulties trimming the DC off-set. i ended up tented a second 1N4148 in series with D3 and D4 in both channels and was able to trim easy-peasy.

Sep 29, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #1,862 of 3,218
how do you like it compared to your other amps?
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #1,864 of 3,218
D.Y.R. and aloksatoor,

yes, very nice...

i've been running the B22 through it's paces with my DT990/600ohm: Yabby You, Kruder and Dorfmeister, and Charlie Haden were all on tap for the night.

transients and note attack are excellent. the treble has a nice sparkle to it - no tizz..tizz..sizzle here. uber-detail top to bottom, but no sand amp sterile haze. i'll post more impressions as the amp continues to burn in.

i'm having zero noise issues even with the top open. i just need to order the FPE face-plates and cut the aluminum tops and she's done.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #1,865 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D.Y.R. and aloksatoor,

yes, very nice...

i've been running the B22 through it's paces with my DT990/600ohm: Yabby You, Kruder and Dorfmeister, and Charlie Haden were all on tap for the night.

transients and note attack are excellent. the treble has a nice sparkle to it - no tizz..tizz..sizzle here. uber-detail top to bottom, but no sand amp sterile haze. i'll post more impressions as the amp continues to burn in.

Good news and congratulations!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm having zero noise issues even with the top open. i just need to order the FPE face-plates and cut the aluminum tops and she's done.

From my experience, if you want to be absolutly certain you have no noise (hiss) issues it would be preferable testing with low Z cans like Grado or Denon if available.

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #1,866 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf18t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my experience, if you want to be absolutly certain you have no noise (hiss) issues it would be preferable testing with low Z cans like Grado or Denon if available.

That's really not a good measuring stick in my experience. Better than using high-impedance cans, sure, but if you want to really get an idea of noise floor throw in some good IEMs and have a listen. Personally I use Ety ER4Ps for this purpose and won't a claim an amp is silent unless it passes that test. I've built a few beta22's, some were up to this challenge, others were not (by design).

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #1,867 of 3,218
good points gents. well, i only have my dt990/600ohms at the moment, but the Brown Santa Claus has a scheduled delivery for a new pair of AKG K271/55ohms today.

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #1,868 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's really not a good measuring stick in my experience. Better than using high-impedance cans, sure, but if you want to really get an idea of noise floor throw in some good IEMs and have a listen. Personally I use Ety ER4Ps for this purpose and won't a claim an amp is silent unless it passes that test. I've built a few beta22's, some were up to this challenge, others were not (by design).

Is this silence test in lieu of using an oscilloscope or in addendum?

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #1,869 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinFinnley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this silence test in lieu of using an oscilloscope or in addendum?

To test for transformer-induced noise, spectrum analyzer software (i.e., RMAA or others) and a good sound card is best. Lacking those, sensitive headphones would work, but it doesn't give any quantifiable results other than "I can hear noise" or "I don't hear noise".

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #1,870 of 3,218
ziltch noise with the K271. straight out of the box these are nice little cans, or maybe it's just the amp
wink.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #1,871 of 3,218
i would like to thank Ti and anyone else involved with the B22, including all the builders here and over at Headwize that have shared their experiences. we DIYers are fortunate to have designers like Ti Kan, Alex Cavalli, and Nelson Pass that are willing to share their ideas and knowledge for all to benefit - not to mention the amazing amount of support they provide to enable "weekend warriors" such as myself to build.

needless to say, the B22 continues to impress.

thanks once again Ti
bigsmile_face.gif
beerchug.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
beerchug.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #1,872 of 3,218
yes this thing has been the most exciting purchase and project in years. the sound in the end and the fact we build it just makes it so amazing and comparing it to other companies gears and what Id get for the same cash is crazy!

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #1,874 of 3,218
btw, the default gain 8x with my dt990/600ohm is perfect. i'm hovering around 12 to 3 o'clock depending on how hard i want to rock.

Oct 7, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #1,875 of 3,218
Umm..... another situation is here.
One channel(R-) of my beta22 has some problem.
When I turn on the amp, the beta22 capacitors begin to charge, or at least it sounds like, I can hear music from it. After fully charged, like few seconds, it is dead silent! I tested the output pad and it is 0 volt relative to ground. But when I turn off the amp, the caps begin to discharge, the music is back again till fully discharged. Everything else seems fine, and the channel used to be normal, so I am really lost.
Also one thing bothers me is that other two channels (L-, R+)with some hum noise, but after warm up it become quieter, since the L+ and R- is free from hum so I don't think this is normal.
Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back