Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Sep 20, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #1,756 of 3,218
The reasons I want to go with wood are that I like the look of it versus metal casees (hammond anyway). I also have plenty of Black Walnut and Cherry to work with. When I say that I have plenty, I mean plenty. I like woodworking just about as much as electronics, so I would like to incorporate a couple of my hobbies.

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #1,757 of 3,218
That my philosophy also. I enjoy making the case just as much as populating the boards. I've done wood, metal and my latest was an acrylic B22.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #1,758 of 3,218
casework is the most PITA but also most rewarding and fun part for me aside from listening. Because its where the true DIY and specially your gear moment happens.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #1,759 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinFinnley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I beg to differ on there being no disadvantages. One of them is how wood reacts to heat over time. As wood is heated up and then cooled repeatedly it will tend to warp especially if there are stresses on the wood, ie the weight of the transformer and circuit boards pressing down.[/URL] There are some woods that are more resistant to this, but I can't name them. Dovetailing and insulation helps keep the box true as well.

So you need good ventilation.

Quote:

Another disadvantage is as Michael mentioned, there is no ground. You have to implement one into the box; AMB suggested I place an aluminum sheet at the bottom when I asked him what to do. This also helps with shielding. Another way to do it, and I could be way wrong with this, is to run dedicated ground wires in the boxes and have all the grounds connect to it throughout. Just make sure it is connected to the ground on your IEC. **if that is wrong please correct me!**

This goes without saying.

Quote:

Wood also does not shield against EMI. Even if you have the s22 and b22 in different enclosures, there will still be some interference if they are close to each other unless you have some sort of shielding between the two. I found this out when doing some prelim testing - I still don't have my enclosure finished, but I'm also doing wood.

Shield the Transformer.

Quote:

Also, depending on the price of the wood you plan to use and the amount of time you plan to invest (decide how much time you think it will take to make the box and multiply by 3 - it always happens this way with wood), it may just be cheaper to go metal, even with a custom face plate. If that is not a factor in why you are going wood, then have fun with it, but realize it will take gobs of time to do it right and make a box that will last as many years as this amp will.

mminutel, has all the tools and skill necessary, I think he likes wood.
tongue.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #1,760 of 3,218
sigma22 up and running.
normal_smile .gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #1,761 of 3,218
nice fishski go !

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #1,762 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice fishski go !

thanks. it was cool to use my new variac for the first time - less stress too.

Sep 21, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #1,763 of 3,218
Hello,

Perhaps somebody is located in london and has a matched input JFETs quad they could spare? Managed to knock of one lead due to DC offset troubles in ground channel and given the mail strikes, not too confident about ordering anything via mail
smily_headphones1.gif

Sounds simply fantastic without ground channel, yet still - better to finish off the beast in the config it was planned to be
wink.gif

BR,
Karils

Sep 21, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #1,764 of 3,218
just as a heads up to those that fight with low-ohm R's
wink.gif

I had an s11 burn out the 2 .47 ohm R's and not even TELL me about it. ie, the r's looked perfectly fine with no burn signs on them. but they tested as open circuits ;(

they were 2watt vishay dale parts that looked, to me, rather physically small. but they said vishay on them; trustable, right?? no! not in this case.

if they burn, at least LOOK burned so I can know. these didn't.

stick with the larger sized 2w parts, such as the pany (matsu****a) ones. I've had good luck with those and they SHOW when they are burned out
wink.gif

my s11 is back up again. no other damage but 2 bad .47's.

lesson learned. can't always tell when a part that SHOULD look broken, is.

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #1,765 of 3,218
Anyone built this and the SOHA II? I know they are different technologies but kind of curious as to what the strengths and weaknesses are between the 2. I'd imagine if I post this in the SOHA II thread I'd get a bunch of people that like it over the B22 and here the opposite....but figured I'd ask anyways as I'm kind of thinking between these 2. Kind of been interested in a good tube product though and it seems the SOHA is just that. I'd be looking to build a balanced version of both as my DAC is balanced outputs only atm. Also I'd be driving a pair of Alessandro MS Pro's.

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #1,767 of 3,218
what about a balanced EHHA?

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #1,768 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about a balanced EHHA?

The SOHA 2 is quite good but I agree that the B22 is better. However a B22 is like 3-4 times more expensive than a SOHA2.

Regarding the EHHA..those who have built it and have heard the B22 as well or who have built both will testify that the EHHA is in the same league as the B22 or will eclipse the B22 (including yours truly)..and at just a bit more than half the price.

It is a matter of sound signature preference and budget. Rest assured you won't be disappointed with building either of these amps.

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #1,769 of 3,218
WEll was looking through the EHHA thread and I have to say I'm very interested now. GlassJar doesn't seem to have kits anymore just the PCB's but that's not a huge deal. I'll have to post in the EHHA thread for the other questions.

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #1,770 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougie085 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone built this and the SOHA II? I know they are different technologies but kind of curious as to what the strengths and weaknesses are between the 2. I'd imagine if I post this in the SOHA II thread I'd get a bunch of people that like it over the B22 and here the opposite....but figured I'd ask anyways as I'm kind of thinking between these 2. Kind of been interested in a good tube product though and it seems the SOHA is just that. I'd be looking to build a balanced version of both as my DAC is balanced outputs only atm. Also I'd be driving a pair of Alessandro MS Pro's.

OK I've built and I use both. See my sig. The SOHA II is a fun, easy to build and inexpensive amp. With the right tubes I use it regularly with my Grado RS-1 and sometime (depending of my mood) with my PS-1000. But when it comes to good recordings and want a very neutral presentation (straight wire with gain) it is not in the same level of my B22. The B22 also have a more precise soundstage, the instrument are easier to pinpoint and you have better sense of depth.

So here are the plus point of both amps:

SOHA II:
- Easy to build. If it's your first build take this seriously into account.
- Inexpensive. You still can add some boutique parts and customize it (as I've done)
- Tube rolling. It's very fun to tailor some sound signature that match your personal taste, mood and headphones.
- You will likeky impress almost all your friends and family. It got tubes!
- While it's inexpensive it still sounds great.

B22
- High end sound quality and neutrality.
- Will drive almost (if any) headphones ever made.
- You will impress your geek & headphones addicts friends at meets.
smily_headphones1.gif

Both are great design from well kown and respected designers. Alex Cavalli and Ti Kan. Both are very well documented and supported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back