Roll Call for Team AKG
Dec 10, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #1,096 of 1,537
So you are trying to murder my wallet eh? You are the devil :p

Up until this point head-fi has done nothing but cost me money and bring me joy. It's time the tables were turned 
evil_smiley.gif
 mwah-ha-ha-haaah

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #1,097 of 1,537
  I have no clue about what to call it now!
I purposely ignored that fact before in the interest of making it easy...
Now it's gonna bother me lol
*shh everybody keep moving along nothing to see here *
ph34r.gif

Oh I have seen the K140 wireless around a few times, but imagine it is probably somewhat lacking. Anybody hear anything about that?

I've got a faulty one in the cellar with it's guts spilling out in bits. I bought it for super cheap because it was in bad [terrible] condition and the receiver was missing. 
When I got them to work wired, they had noticeably less resolution than any k141/240 but were pleasant enough. They do look ridiculous though, as they stick out a lot.
More of a collectors toy really. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #1,098 of 1,537
I've got a question for any K340/Electrostatic guru out there. I've heard it reported that the K340 was given an estimated 30-year life before the electrostatic elements permanently loses their charge. Now that 30 years back puts us squarely within the production period of the K340, shouldn't we be hearing reports of this happening? The reason I ask is that I somewhat recently acquired a K340, and in spite of all the reports of the quantity of treble it produces and how it matches poorly with SS amps, mine has a considerably rolled-off high end (making my HD600 sound pretty bright by comparison. The treble is still there by all means, and wonderful sounding at that, but is it possible the electrostatic elements in mine are on the way out? This would make me very sad indeed as I have been enjoying them immensely 
frown.gif

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #1,099 of 1,537
Just curious, but have you checked what colour the dynamic driver housing in your AKG K340s are?

Not sure if we're still going by that, but my green ("bass light") ones were nice and relatively balanced while my other with grey dynamic driver housing had quite rolled off treble. Not sure which one is newer and also not sure if the grey one needs recharging of any sort. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #1,100 of 1,537
I have checked: I have the grey driver housing and they are definitely not bass light. I wish there was some dependable information on the production of of these so we knew which was older! 

You put bass light in quotations; is that because this is how they are commonly referred to or do you not find yours to be bass light? I've never had the opportunity to hear the green driver version, I've always been curious. I greatly enjoy mine, but the fatness can be a bit much at times :p

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #1,101 of 1,537
I didn't find my AKG K340 with the green driver being particularly bass light. 

The bass is quite present though not very extended. Treble is a bit grainy (or I think that's just my Apex Glacier). However, by far the most annoying thing is that somewhere in the midrange can tend to feel too smooth and even a bit blurry at times.

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #1,102 of 1,537
  I didn't find my AKG K340 with the green driver being particularly bass light. 

The bass is quite present though not very extended. Treble is a bit grainy (or I think that's just my Apex Glacier). However, by far the most annoying thing is that somewhere in the midrange can tend to feel too smooth and even a bit blurry at times.

I wonder if that has to do with ear cup resonance... I have definitely noticed a very pronounced, echoey and sometimes blurred lower midrange (this is even  more severe on the K280). It can be nice for breathing life into cold, drier recordings but often I find it to be a bit much. I've heard replacing the plastic grille with thin fabric can help this, but I hate the thought of cutting up such a nice vintage headphone.

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #1,103 of 1,537
My K 340 sounded a bit dark. Replaced the pleather pads with velours and the sound improved. Treble was both lifted and evened out, and overall treble decay was smoother and quicker.

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #1,104 of 1,537
Enjoying my latest member of the family. The Realistic Pro 50 (AKG K250).
This one has what seems to be a sextett driver and the sextett radiators. 

I like this much more than my K250. Actually I think it's my favourite vintage AKG.
I think I might sell the K241 to make space for it. It's also in ridiculously good condition - the aluminium only has 1 noticeable scratch, the ear pads are plush and the headband elastics look and work like new.
Not going to let go of this one, that's for sure.

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #1,105 of 1,537
What does yours sound like? Mine doesn't sound like a Sextett even though it has the MP drivers and baffles.

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #1,106 of 1,537
What does yours sound like? Mine doesn't sound like a Sextett even though it has the MP drivers and baffles.

It's been at least a year since I've heard a sextett, so I'm going by memory. Also it was the only sextett I ever heard, and it was a bass heavy EP.
I havn't opened mine up yet, so I have no idea what production it is but it has white passive diaphragms, so it must be MP or LP.

TBH I'm liking what I'm hearing. It seems to be lighter on the bass and more detailed and faster overall than the sextett.
The passive diaphragms seem to create this pseudo-soundstage which I immediately recognised when I put them on even after such a long time not hearing the sextett, which I don't get from my K240 Monitor, K241 or K250 (all with passive vents instead of diaphragms). 
I really like how it seems to spread out the sound around my head. 

I don't really remember much about the air or resolution, but I might be able to borrow the sextett again (from a friend) to give a better comparison. He lives in a different city, so it might take a while.

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #1,107 of 1,537
Thanks! Your impressions are similar to mine, but my pair sounds really bright. They sound brighter than any of my other headphones.

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #1,108 of 1,537
  Thanks! Your impressions are similar to mine, but my pair sounds really bright. They sound brighter than any of my other headphones.

Had a look through your headphone list and I didn't see a Grado. So this makes sense.
They are bright, but I've never heard anything this bright that doesn't fatigue easily - also when I crank up the bass a little, they sound really great. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #1,109 of 1,537
  Enjoying my latest member of the family. The Realistic Pro 50 (AKG K250).
This one has what seems to be a sextett driver and the sextett radiators. 

I like this much more than my K250. Actually I think it's my favourite vintage AKG.
I think I might sell the K241 to make space for it. It's also in ridiculously good condition - the aluminium only has 1 noticeable scratch, the ear pads are plush and the headband elastics look and work like new.
Not going to let go of this one, that's for sure.

She looks gorgeous. Already spotted her in the headphone pic thread, nice

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #1,110 of 1,537
Given the similarity between the (esp. later) Sextett and its many variants, I'm not convinced it's worth buying more than one of them - pull EQ on it and you have any version. I'd draw the line between them and the Monitors, though, since that seems to be about when AKG started fixing the more glaring driver issues; and for reasons of soundstaging, might draw another line between the Sextett variants with the Pro 50/K 250 type cup and those with the normal K 240 one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back