Rogue Audio RH-5 Impression Thread
Jan 17, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #421 of 718
I have always been cautious putting a tube (Pagoda?) in front of tubes? Just another variable in the equation....or not an issue?
• Think about it in this way: have you read of any concerns over putting solid-state in front of solid-state? (Other than if you dislike solid-state au @bcowen 😜!)
• If a component is of high-quality, delivers a preferred sound of high-quality (we all have preferences), circuit topology should not automatically rule out pairings.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #422 of 718
Just had another wow moment with this amazing amp! :astonished: I have been using my RH-5 exclusively with my VC's for the past several months, as this pairing is exceptional in every way possible (especially with the Universe Lambskin Pads installed). However, I decided to switch things up yesterday and hooked up my Atticus to the RH-5 and man do they sing with this amp. :o2smile: Jumping from the Atticus/Pendant pairing to the RH-5, and the bass tightened up to perfection, and the sound is so well balanced, dynamic and textured, yet smooth and highly immersive as well, that I feel like I am hearing the Atticus at their very best. The RH-5 really does take whatever headphone is plugged in to it to another level and makes them perform at their best, all while letting each of their unique traits continue to shine through, and it's such an immersive experience every time I fire it up.
With the Atticus/Rogue tag-team already ‘ready-to-rumble’ (the real meaning of R2R? 🤪), how about rolling a few 12AU7 / ECC82 to see if the WES-S title belt is won by this team? [The only ECC82s on hand chez moi are the RFT foil getters. No others for comparison.]

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #423 of 718
With the Atticus/Rogue tag-team already ‘ready-to-rumble’ (the real meaning of R2R? 🤪), how about rolling a few 12AU7 / ECC82 to see if the WES-S title belt is won by this team? [The only ECC82s on hand chez moi are the RFT foil getters. No others for comparison.]
The Brimar CV491 D Getters from Footscray that I bought from Langrex are were it's at with both my Atticus and VC for my preferences lately. I did roll in the RFT Foil Getters recently and prefer the Footscrays with their more natural sound. The RFT's are great too, but are riding the bench for the foreseeable future, as the Brimar's just sound more real in my setup.

I remember you picking up a few pairs of those Brimar CV491 D Getters from Langrex, and if I were you I would roll those in asap. They really are something special and the thing is they don't really wow you at first, but the more I listen with them the more I realize they are really something special. The vocals are hands down the best I have heard from any tube, and the way these tubes let the notes hang in the air a bit longer and decay so naturally is stunning.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #424 of 718
The Brimar CV491 D Getters from Footscray that I bought from Langrex are were it's at with both my Atticus and VC for my preferences lately. I did roll in the RFT Foil Getters recently and prefer the Footscrays with their more natural sound. The RFT's are great too, but are riding the bench for the foreseeable future, as the Brimar's just sound more real in my setup.

I remember you picking up a few pairs of those Brimar CV491 D Getters from Langrex, and if I were you I would roll those in asap. They really are something special and the thing is they don't really wow you at first, but the more I listen with them the more I realize they are really something special. The vocals are hands down the best I have heard from any tube, and the way these tubes let the notes hang in the air a bit longer and decay so naturally is stunning.
Will do. The RH-5 and pairs of 12AU7 / CV491 / ECC82 are at ‘mountain house’ - there this weekend!

Jan 20, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #425 of 718
Hi all,
I am intrigued by the Rogue RH5 and have a couple questions. I have Verite Closed, Aeolus, and Rad 0 that I have been playing through a Pendant amp. I have struggled with the hum on the high Z tap especially with the VC and have tried most of the fixes without any significant improvement. It seems the Rogue will play very well with the VC, but wondering if anyone could comment on the synergy with the Rad 0? I also have the Diana V2 and new Diana TC on the radar and wondering if anyone could comment on these with the Rogue?
Thanks for any comments…

Jan 20, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #426 of 718
Hi all,
I am intrigued by the Rogue RH5 and have a couple questions. I have Verite Closed, Aeolus, and Rad 0 that I have been playing through a Pendant amp. I have struggled with the hum on the high Z tap especially with the VC and have tried most of the fixes without any significant improvement. It seems the Rogue will play very well with the VC, but wondering if anyone could comment on the synergy with the Rad 0? I also have the Diana V2 and new Diana TC on the radar and wondering if anyone could comment on these with the Rogue?
Thanks for any comments…

Have you read Herb Reichert's Stereophile review of the RH-5? One of the headphones used in his review are Abyss headphones.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/rogue-audio-rh-5-preamplifier-headphone-amplifier

Jan 21, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #427 of 718
Jan 21, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #428 of 718
Thanks Robert, I had not read that review. On the Diana YouTube series, they recommend the GSX mini amp For the V2 Diana. I am wondering if anyone has had the Rogue together with the GSX Mni for comparison? Thanks M

So I've heard the GSX mini in a CanJam environment. It's a good amp. I know plenty of people really like it and some love it. I thought it was okay. If I was going to go soild-state then I much prefer something from Violectric from Germany or Sparkos Lab Aries.

For me and for my personal preferences I doubt I'll go back to soild-state. I'm very very happy running a full tube amp or the RH-5 which is in a very sweet spot being a hybrid. I mean the RH-5 can get down and dirty and can really supply some serious current to needy headphones. It also has the beautiful tone that can be tailored to suit your needs and preferences with a variety of tube rolling options. To me it's the best of both worlds.

Jan 22, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #430 of 718
Been having some fun with my Atticus and RH-5 pairing these past couple of days, as my VC's are in the shop getting some love from ZMF, and man I found a killer tube roll that really makes my Atticus sing. I have been rocking the Brimar CV491 D Getters from Footscray with my VC's and that pairing is sublime in every way possible, but with my Atticus those tubes slowed down things a bit too much. So, I started going through my tube stash yesterday and landed on a pair of Funwerk Erfurt (earliest version of RFT) ECC82 Foil Getters from 58', and there is definitely some magic going on with this pairing. The mids cleaned up and vocals came forward a bit, and the detail and realism is there in spades again, the imaging tightened up, and the stage became deeper and more holographic. The vocals are huge and just as stunning with this combo as they are with my VC/Brimar combo, and I love the neutrality/smoothness of this amp and how responsive it is to tube rolling and any other changes to the system as well, as it really lets you dial in the sound to perfection for each headphone.

Back to the music. . .:o2smile:

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #432 of 718
I wish it was easier to swap out tubes. I left out some screws while waiting for my RFTs.
I hear you on that! I don't enjoy rolling with the RH-5 at all, and I always feel like I am going to break something while doing it. I do roll often enough though, so I never screw all the screws back in and leave the ones that are not visible (back and sides) out at all times.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #433 of 718
I hear you on that! I don't enjoy rolling with the RH-5 at all, and I always feel like I am going to break something while doing it. I do roll often enough though, so I never screw all the screws back in and leave the ones that are not visible (back and sides) out at all times.
That's what I did too. Also, I have to admit I prefer the new VC with the Rogue. It tightens the bass up. The bass with the Pendant is kinda bloomy and undefined. Not the case with the RH-5. It's very well defined, tight and digs deep. If I didn't have the RH-5 I would be fine listening on the Pendant though. I'm listening on it right now actually. Love both amps. Haven't tried different tubes in the Pendant yet. That might change things. So many options!

Jan 23, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #434 of 718
I have been contemplating having holes cut into (or removal of) the mesh above the tubes so that socket savers for the ECC82s / 12AU7s could be used. This would extend socket / tube life and enable ‘rolling’ without having to remove screws and the cover. 🤔🤷🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back