Rogue Audio RH-5 Impression Thread
Jan 13, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #406 of 718
ROON curation algorithm is much better than the algorithms on Tidal or Qobuz.
Very interested in which amp the VC likes better.
The VC sounds killer off both amps, as I have been experimenting with this the last couple of days. The Pendant is so holographic, dynamic, euphoric and immediate sounding with the VC that it's breathtaking with some well recorded Folk, Jazz or anything Acoustic. The Pendant pushes the mids forward with it's mid focused sound and this benefits the VC's mids very well (especially vocals). Then throwing the VC on the RH-5 opens them up, and the sound is more neutral and balanced top to bottom with deeper subbass rumble, and more of a taller and wider stage but not quite as deep and holographic as the Pendant. I listen to Electronica the most with my RH-5 and VC combo, as the subbass rumble and detail top to bottom is addictive. They really are both equally awesome, with completely different topologies that you can easily hear the differences and appreciate them both with the VC and a good DAC.

Also, I have recently discovered I like my VC with the Auteur Lambskin pads on the Pendant SE and the Universe Lambskin pads on the RH-5.

Owning both of these amps with the VC, is such a pleasure as it really keeps things fresh jumping back and forth between the two and getting completely different but equal presentations of awesome. The Pendant and VC combo sounds like I am at a live show standing on stage or in the front row. The RH-5 and VC combo sounds like I am a few rows back in the best seats in the house (same show) or in a recording studio with a well treated room with high a ceiling.

Of important note with regards to my comparison between the two amps, is that I have added the Synergistic Research Purple fuse to the RH-5 and that really helped level the playing field. The fuse especially helped the RH-5 liven up a bit, throw a more holographic soundstage (still not as good as the Pendant in this regard), and have better impact, texture and overall realism. The Pendant unfortunately uses a fuse size that does not allow any kind of upgrade, or I would have already done a swap with that one too.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #407 of 718
My Blackwood VCs shipped today!! I just checked my email. I can't wait to try them with RH-5!
Nice! I have been thinking about this a bit, and I think the added punch of the Blackwood version VC should sound incredible with the RH-5's insane bass control, depth and texture. Fun times ahead!

You've got some good tubes coming (RFT), and I would also suggest getting some Brimar's as well. Also, I would highly consider changing out the fuse with a SR Purple to get the most out of your RH-5.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #408 of 718
Nice! I have been thinking about this a bit, and I think the added punch of the Blackwood version VC should sound incredible with the RH-5's insane bass control, depth and texture. Fun times ahead!

You've got some good tubes coming (RFT), and I would also suggest getting some Brimar's as well. Also, I would highly consider changing out the fuse with a SR Purple to get the most out of your RH-5.
I plan to change out the fuse, but right now I’m out of play money 💰. Buying the RH-5 wiped me out for a little while. I have a lot of overtime coming up, it won’t be too long. I’ll have to suffer with the horrible sound it puts out with the stock fuse for about a month lol

Jan 15, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #410 of 718
Evening fellas, just dropping in to fanboy over the RH-5 a bit. I picked up a secondhand unit a few months ago and even more recently a MHDT Balanced Pagoda DAC. Means my current chain is MBP > Pagoda > Rogue > Grado PS2k. *chef's kiss*

TLDR - I've not enjoyed taking time just to listen to music this much in a minute!

Longer read: As you can see from my profile... I've owned a few amps in my day. Most of the Schiit lineup, ampsandsound, Mapletree, and Woo and I can say with confidence that the chain I've got now has the best synergy than any before it. Just sounds so... right! Even in headphone listening exclusively, there's a wonderful sense of placement, weight, width, and an excellent balance between detail & smoothness. Logging some serious hours at the listening station this evening with a mix of my favorites: Snarky Puppy, Stevie Wonder, Phil Wickham, & Norah Jones to name a few. Cheers!

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #411 of 718
Evening fellas, just dropping in to fanboy over the RH-5 a bit. I picked up a secondhand unit a few months ago and even more recently a MHDT Balanced Pagoda DAC. Means my current chain is MBP > Pagoda > Rogue > Grado PS2k. *chef's kiss*

TLDR - I've not enjoyed taking time just to listen to music this much in a minute!

Longer read: As you can see from my profile... I've owned a few amps in my day. Most of the Schiit lineup, ampsandsound, Mapletree, and Woo and I can say with confidence that the chain I've got now has the best synergy than any before it. Just sounds so... right! Even in headphone listening exclusively, there's a wonderful sense of placement, weight, width, and an excellent balance between detail & smoothness. Logging some serious hours at the listening station this evening with a mix of my favorites: Snarky Puppy, Stevie Wonder, Phil Wickham, & Norah Jones to name a few. Cheers!
Hey there Joe, it's good to see you in this thread. I know of all the higher end tube amps you have had in the past, and that is some seriously high praise for the RH-5 coming from someone with your experience.

Also, I love me some Snarky Puppy, and I have really been digging Mark Lettieri's (guitarist in the band) solo stuff lately as well. I think he is one of the best guitarist alive right now.

Happy listening with this amazing amp!

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #412 of 718
Hey there Joe, it's good to see you in this thread. I know of all the higher end tube amps you have had in the past, and that is some seriously high praise for the RH-5 coming from someone with your experience.

Also, I love me some Snarky Puppy, and I have really been digging Mark Lettieri's (guitarist in the band) solo stuff lately as well. I think he is one of the best guitarist alive right now.

Happy listening with this amazing amp!
Thanks Wes. If I get a wild hair and a little cash to burn, I may jump on the SR Purple hype train that's been goin' round!

And yessir, Mark's stuff is great, as is Larnell Lewis, Cory Henry, Shaun Martin, & Bob Reynolds, all other members at one time or another!

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #413 of 718
Blackwood VCs are in the house! Only have about 20 minutes on them, but I’m happy so far. Some heavy duty rumbling going on paired with the RH-5! Very smooth sounding. Glad to have a set of VC back in the house and 2 awesome amps to listen too

Jan 16, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #414 of 718

I have always been cautious putting a tube (Pagoda?) in front of tubes? Just another variable in the equation....or not an issue?

Jan 17, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #415 of 718
Just had another wow moment with this amazing amp! :astonished: I have been using my RH-5 exclusively with my VC's for the past several months, as this pairing is exceptional in every way possible (especially with the Universe Lambskin Pads installed). However, I decided to switch things up yesterday and hooked up my Atticus to the RH-5 and man do they sing with this amp. :o2smile: Jumping from the Atticus/Pendant pairing to the RH-5, and the bass tightened up to perfection, and the sound is so well balanced, dynamic and textured, yet smooth and highly immersive as well, that I feel like I am hearing the Atticus at their very best. The RH-5 really does take whatever headphone is plugged in to it to another level and makes them perform at their best, all while letting each of their unique traits continue to shine through, and it's such an immersive experience every time I fire it up.

Jan 17, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #416 of 718
I recently picked up the Roque Audio RH-5 to use with my Hifiman Susvara. I have to ALO STUDIO SIX amplifier but it doesn't have enough power to bring out the best with this headphone. The Roque Audio RH-5 sounds good with this headphone but I might want to get the Enleum Amp-23r. Feedback appreciated from everyone!

Jan 17, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #417 of 718
i see alot of user on this thread with low efficiency headphones, most in the 300 ohm range. i have a focal stellia as my main headphone, 35 ohm 106 db efficient. Would my stellia match up with this amp? i see in the amps ratings it is rated at 3.5 watts into 35 ohms, but most users here using 300 ohm headphones so i am worried about compatibility issues . anbody here using hi effiecncy headphones with there Rogue?

Jan 17, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #418 of 718
i see alot of user on this thread with low efficiency headphones, most in the 300 ohm range. i have a focal stellia as my main headphone, 35 ohm 106 db efficient. Would my stellia match up with this amp? i see in the amps ratings it is rated at 3.5 watts into 35 ohms, but most users here using 300 ohm headphones so i am worried about compatibility issues . anbody here using hi effiecncy headphones with there Rogue?
• Yes. I use, with immense musical satisfaction, a number of low input impedance headphones with the RH-5. These include: Audeze LCD-X (2016: 20 ohms), Focal Clear OG (55 ohms), Grado GS3000e (32 ohms), Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition (32 ohms).
• Do not automatically equate high ‘efficiency’ with low impedance. The ZMF headphones at 300 ohms are quite efficient (should have high quality amplification). At the other end, is the Audeze LCD-5: it has impedance of 14 ohms but sensitivity of only 90dB/mw (the median across headphones is around 103 dB/mw).

Jan 17, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #419 of 718
Absolutely, I use mine almost exclusively with Grados and it sounds great! There’s a bit of very very low level hiss with higher gain settings, but nothing you’d notice unless listening for it intentionally.

Jan 17, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #420 of 718
I have always been cautious putting a tube (Pagoda?) in front of tubes? Just another variable in the equation....or not an issue?
That has been a concern of mine at different points as well. With my current setup tho, nothing to worry about! No strange phenomena or artifacts that I can hear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back