Rogue Audio RH-5 Impression Thread
Jan 3, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #391 of 718
I’m pretty impressed so far. I really like the fine volume control. The Pendant SE is a little mids forward compared to the RH-5. I find myself turning up the RH-5 a little more because of this. Also, the Pendant is still more holographic sounding than the RH-5, but the RH-5 definitely isn’t flat and one dimensional like my Schiit Magnius solid state. The RH-5 is slightly fuller sounding and has better sub bass. I switched out the stock JJ tubes for the only pair of 12AU7s I have on hand, early 60’s RCA orange label clear glass side square getters. I liked this tube in the Pendant and I like it in the RH-5. The sound stage opened up, the bass tightened up, the mids filled in a little more, and the treble smoothed out. I know the RFTs will be even better because that’s what replaced the RCA in my Pendant! The RH-5 doesn’t get very warm either. The only thing I really miss is seeing the tube glow. If I could only keep either the RH-5 or Pendant SE, I think I would go with the RH-5 due to the added functionality. Right now I’m fortunate enough to be able to keep both Very outstanding amps!
Heck yeah! I am right there with ya on everything said, and I crank the volume on my RH-5 too.

Jan 3, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #392 of 718
Have to say, that is one cheap plastic remote for an otherwise beautiful amp/pre-amp. Rogue should do better for a $2500 product. Just my 2 cents...

Jan 3, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #393 of 718
Just got a notice from Tubemonger. The 1970 long plate Brimar CV4034 is available again for anyone interested. $80 each so $160 + shipping for a matched pair.

Jan 3, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #394 of 718
Have to say, that is one cheap plastic remote for an otherwise beautiful amp/pre-amp. Rogue should do better for a $2500 product. Just my 2 cents...
I totally agree. As much as I would like to buy the upgraded remote, I just can't bring myself to spend the $150 at the moment (I would rather buy tubes). The one good thing going for the cheap stock remote is that it is very light weight, and as much as I fiddle with the volume it is nice to have a light weight remote. The remote for my Morpheus on the other hand is made from solid aluminum and could be used as weapon it is so heavy, and this has made me appreciate the much lighter weight of the RH-5 remote.

Jan 7, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #395 of 718
Plugged my ZMF Aeolus in for the first time. Wow! This combo brings the mids forward a little and really accentuates the bass capabilities of the RH-5. I like this pairing better than with the Auteur. I think I prefer the Auteur with the Pendant. My Blackwood VC is in assembly. Won't be long now.....

Two days ago, I signed up for a free trial of ROON. I'm streaming Qobuz via the relatively new iFi Zen Stream. Wow! Why did I wait so long to try ROON? I'm finally hearing what all the fuss is about with high res streaming! Makes Spotify sound like 1990s MP3 garbage. I've heard subtle details in music I haven't heard before. I know that statement is so cliché, but it's true. I feel like I'm finally realizing the full potential of my system.

Jan 7, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #397 of 718
Plugged my ZMF Aeolus in for the first time. Wow! This combo brings the mids forward a little and really accentuates the bass capabilities of the RH-5. I like this pairing better than with the Auteur. I think I prefer the Auteur with the Pendant. My Blackwood VC is in assembly. Won't be long now.....

Two days ago, I signed up for a free trial of ROON. I'm streaming Qobuz via the relatively new iFi Zen Stream. Wow! Why did I wait so long to try ROON? I'm finally hearing what all the fuss is about with high res streaming! Makes Spotify sound like 1990s MP3 garbage. I've heard subtle details in music I haven't heard before. I know that statement is so cliché, but it's true. I feel like I'm finally realizing the full potential of my system.
Good stuff! Happy Roon user here too, and I can't wait to read about your reaction when you hear your VC with the RH-5 and the RFT Foil Getters.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #398 of 718
Good stuff! Happy Roon user here too, and I can't wait to read about your reaction when you hear your VC with the RH-5 and the RFT Foil Getters.
I can't wait either!! I have a feeling there's going to be some serious rumbling.

Jan 12, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #401 of 718

Happy ROON user here too…..my only regret has been not signing up for lifetime back six years ago when they were essentially giving it away.

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #402 of 718
Aeolus is staying put. It sounds fantastic with the RH-5! I go between the Aeolus with the RH-5 and my Auteur with the Pendant. Still waiting for my Blackwood VC. I'm hooked on ROON! I wish I had tried it sooner, but better late than never. I love when an album I'm listening too ends and ROON just keeps playing curated similar music. I've discovered a couple new artists during my free trial because of this feature.

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #403 of 718
My Blackwood VCs shipped today!! I just checked my email. I can't wait to try them with RH-5!

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #404 of 718
Aeolus is staying put. It sounds fantastic with the RH-5! I go between the Aeolus with the RH-5 and my Auteur with the Pendant…..
….. ‘Wes S II’ ?….🤔

Jan 12, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #405 of 718
Aeolus is staying put. It sounds fantastic with the RH-5! I go between the Aeolus with the RH-5 and my Auteur with the Pendant. Still waiting for my Blackwood VC. I'm hooked on ROON! I wish I had tried it sooner, but better late than never. I love when an album I'm listening too ends and ROON just keeps playing curated similar music. I've discovered a couple new artists during my free trial because of this feature.
ROON curation algorithm is much better than the algorithms on Tidal or Qobuz.
Very interested in which amp the VC likes better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back