Rogue Audio RH-5 Impression Thread
Nov 9, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #361 of 718
So after weeks/months of deliberation, I finally purchased the RH-5. I’ve had it for less than 24 hours, but I can already tell that it’s quite special in how “real” it makes recordings sound. I’ve tried it with my VCs first, and can’t wait to try it with my HD800S. Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread and my decision!

This is my first tube amp so I am planning to let the stock tubes burn in first. But looking ahead — and excuse the newbie questions —when buying pairs of tubes, should I try to have them matched? Should the two triodes within each tube be matched as well? Finally, some sellers have the “high gain” option — what does that mean exactly and is it desirable in this particular amp?
It is actually a hybrid amp with a tube input stage.

Nov 10, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #362 of 718
It is actually a hybrid amp with a tube input stage.
It's still a tube amp though (as in the tubes used make a difference), and a damn fine one at that, and especially when used in it's best configuration (balanced in and balanced out).

Long live the RH-5!

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #364 of 718
Alright, it’s my first amp that contains tubes :)

Whatever it is, it’s quickly becoming one of my favorite audio purchases.
You picked a darn fine one to start with. Happy listening!

Dec 21, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #365 of 718
Just checking back in as I have definitely gotten over the 200 hour mark with the SR Purple fuse, and I am freaking amazed at how the sound has continued to "mature". This amp with this fuse is a stunner, and continues to blow my mind. I feel like I am hearing everything and can really hear what my DAC (Sonnet Morpheus) and headphones (VC) can do. I really can't find a fault anywhere and it's such an engaging, highly resolving, yet natural and easy going sound (my definition of neutral). When listening with the VC, it's like taking an adventure with the artist and I can hear so deep into the recording, it's as if I am not wearing headphones. The sound stage is so expansive and immersive, and everything has it's own space and is fully fleshed out. I really think the fuse helped add a bit more "pop" to the sound as well as add detail and control, and it's taken the amp to another level. I really wish more people could hear what I am hearing. . . Long live my RH-5! :o2smile:

Dec 22, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #366 of 718
Just checking back in as I have definitely gotten over the 200 hour mark with the SR Purple fuse, and I am freaking amazed at how the sound has continued to "mature". This amp with this fuse is a stunner, and continues to blow my mind. I feel like I am hearing everything and can really hear what my DAC (Sonnet Morpheus) and headphones (VC) can do. I really can't find a fault anywhere and it's such an engaging, highly resolving, yet natural and easy going sound (my definition of neutral). When listening with the VC, it's like taking an adventure with the artist and I can hear so deep into the recording, it's as if I am not wearing headphones. The sound stage is so expansive and immersive, and everything has it's own space and is fully fleshed out. I really think the fuse helped add a bit more "pop" to the sound as well as add detail and control, and it's taken the amp to another level. I really wish more people could hear what I am hearing. . . Long live my RH-5! :o2smile:
Yes the RH-5 is soooo nice, it is kind of sad that it seems to fly under a lot of peoples radar.

Dec 24, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #367 of 718
Has anyone had a chance to compare the RH-5 to the headphone amp in their full-featured RP-5 preamplifier? I'm considering incorporating a tube preamp with an HT bypass in my home theater, but also want it to serve as a good headphone amp - and the RP-5 seems to fit the bill. I don't expect it to be of the same quality, but I get the impression that the headphone output is not an afterthought in the RP-5. If I can just get close to the performance of the RH-5, I would be pretty happy.

Dec 24, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #368 of 718
I had the RP-5 and RP-7 in my system for almost a month for an audition this past May. As you know they are unreal preamps.

The RH-5 is an outstanding headphone amp and a very good preamp. The RP-5 and RP-7 are outstanding preamps and good to very good headphone amps.

Dec 24, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #369 of 718
Has anyone had a chance to compare the RH-5 to the headphone amp in their full-featured RP-5 preamplifier? I'm considering incorporating a tube preamp with an HT bypass in my home theater, but also want it to serve as a good headphone amp - and the RP-5 seems to fit the bill. I don't expect it to be of the same quality, but I get the impression that the headphone output is not an afterthought in the RP-5. If I can just get close to the performance of the RH-5, I would be pretty happy.
For your usage I think the RP-5 would be a better unit.

Also, take some time to read through this thread regarding NOS tubes. As you know both the RH-5 and the RP-5 run the same tube type. Many of us RH-5 owners have spent alot of time and effort searching for and finding some truly magical tubes that play well in both the amps.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #370 of 718
Hello everyone. A new Rh-5 owner here. I went off of @Wes S recommendation over on the Pendant thread. Just found this thread and read through everything. My RH-5 is scheduled to arrive Friday. A lot of good info and tubes to look for. I'll be running stock for a while until I build up the bank account again. Doesn't sound like I'll be disappointed in stock though!

Dec 29, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #371 of 718
Hello everyone. A new Rh-5 owner here. I went off of @Wes S recommendation over on the Pendant thread. Just found this thread and read through everything. My RH-5 is scheduled to arrive Friday. A lot of good info and tubes to look for. I'll be running stock for a while until I build up the bank account again. Doesn't sound like I'll be disappointed in stock though!

Seek out the advice of both @jonathan c & @Wes S , they are both passionate RH-5 owners and have some very strong recommendations for NOS tubes for as little at $65.00 a pair. It's generally believed that the RH-5 does well with stock tubes, but really shines with NOS tubes even more.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #372 of 718
I've read the entire thread! I saw their recommendations. I just need to start digging around for them. The only pairs of 12AU7s I have on hand are 1960s clear glass RCAs. I was very fond of that tube in the Pendant until I bought a 1959 RFT Funkwerk Eufert foil getter. That has taken over the top spot. I'd like to get a pair of those to try in the RH-5. I bought a demo unit and saved a couple hundred. I could buy a pair or two of NOS tubes and probably still be at or below list. I also saw the praise for upgrading the internal fuse. Lots of good information in this thread!!

Dec 29, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #373 of 718
I've read the entire thread! I saw their recommendations. I just need to start digging around for them. The only pairs of 12AU7s I have on hand are 1960s clear glass RCAs. I was very fond of that tube in the Pendant until I bought a 1959 RFT Funkwerk Eufert foil getter. That has taken over the top spot. I'd like to get a pair of those to try in the RH-5. I bought a demo unit and saved a couple hundred. I could buy a pair or two of NOS tubes and probably still be at or below list. I also saw the praise for upgrading the internal fuse. Lots of good information in this thread!!
Tubes for RH-5: Let’s go with RFT ECC82 (foil getter) - the best and inexpensive! might be hard to find, though. Next best: RFT ECC82 (halo getter) - a small sonic step below the ‘foil getters’ but better than the vast majority of 12AU7-type tubes. Disclosure: I use the RFT ECC82 ‘foil getters’ in the RH-5 (and RFT ECC81 ‘foil getters’ in Woo Audio WA2).

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #374 of 718
Congrats on the purchase of an amazing amp! I look forward to hearing how it works out for you. Fun times ahead with your VC and the RH-5, no doubt!

Dec 30, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #375 of 718
I found the RFT foil getter. Same seller I ordered from in the past and recommended by @Wes S. I ordered a quad, so hopefully at least 2 of the 4 are quiet. Will probably take a month to get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back