Rogue Audio RH-5 Impression Thread
Apr 1, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #151 of 718
@Musikfan

Okay, so here is a picture of the internals of the RH-5 that I took one of the times I had it opened up.

Please note this is an educated guess.

If you follow the flow of energy from the mains you will see the fuse just below the two stacked toroidal transformers. Below that you can see the fuse. My GUESS is that the side of the fuse that is closer to the mains and power supply is the power side. The other end of the fuse takes the power off further into the amp. For lack of knowing the correct terms, I'll just call this the "power side"(closer to the mains) and the "amp side"(closer to the amplifier side).

You can always send Rogue Audio an email to confirm. I don't think it really matters but then again maybe it does.
20200407_143418.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #153 of 718
As an avid tube roller, I definitely can tell the gains and differences with tubes. I have also swapped out caps and have heard what that can do. However, I have never changed a fuse, or even thought about it. I doubt I will mess with it, but I am a little curious what kind of performance "upgrade" you get from changing them? Also, those of you who have changed out the fuse, have you done any tube rolling as well? I am curious if the difference with the fuse, is as big as with a good tube roll?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #154 of 718
As an avid tube roller, I definitely can tell the gains and differences with tubes. I have also swapped out caps and have heard what that can do. However, I have never changed a fuse, or even thought about it. I doubt I will mess with it, but I am a little curious what kind of performance "upgrade" you get from changing them? Also, those of you who have changed out the fuse, have you done any tube rolling as well? I am curious if the difference with the fuse, is as big as with a good tube roll?

So I've heard some people change the fuse out and have reported good positive results. I looked into this for a few amps I own a year ago or so. I read up on a company in Germany called Hi-Fi Tuning that's owned by a real passionate German electrical engineer who cryos all the fuses he makes and does a few other things to make his work stand out.

I'll keep an open mind and would love to hear how this all works out.

Apr 7, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #156 of 718
Apr 7, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #158 of 718
Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #159 of 718
I am running a pair of NOS Brimars now. Love the miss on these
Curious which version of Brimar's? I have several different versions, and the CV4034 is the king, but they all sound great. Mids and especially vocals is where they shine.

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #160 of 718
I'm currently running a matched pair of Brimar CV4003's.

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #161 of 718
I am running some Raytheon 7730 Long Plate D Getters, and it that's where I stopped.

Tubes I have rolled - Valvo Hamburg ECC82 Long Plate Foil D Getter 56', Mazda 6189 Triple Mica Silver Plate, and Brimar CV4034. They all were great, but the Raytheon 7730's smoked them all, and will not be leaving the amp anytime soon.

Apr 8, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #163 of 718
Ni
They are the Brimar CV4003's. and I love the mids not the spell corrected miss.
Nice! If you like those, the CV4034 from Tubemonger are even better.

Apr 9, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #164 of 718
I am running some Raytheon 7730 Long Plate D Getters, and it that's where I stopped.

Tubes I have rolled - Valvo Hamburg ECC82 Long Plate Foil D Getter 56', Mazda 6189 Triple Mica Silver Plate, and Brimar CV4034. They all were great, but the Raytheon 7730's smoked them all, and will not be leaving the amp anytime soon.

Ni

Nice! If you like those, the CV4034 from Tubemonger are even better.

Apr 9, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #165 of 718
Hi, I'm currently using matched pair of Brimar CV 4003 and am very happy with them. Clean, no noise, nice black background, non-fatiguing, great top end and good tight bass. The Brimars are very good with the Rogue HP amp. That's just my opinion of course. Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back