Rogue Audio RH-5 Impression Thread
Dec 30, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #376 of 718
Tubes for RH-5: Let’s go with RFT ECC82 (foil getter) - the best and inexpensive! might be hard to find, though. Next best: RFT ECC82 (halo getter) - a small sonic step below the ‘foil getters’ but better than the vast majority of 12AU7-type tubes. Disclosure: I use the RFT ECC82 ‘foil getters’ in the RH-5 (and RFT ECC81 ‘foil getters’ in Woo Audio WA2).
The RFT ECC82 Foil Getters are in my top 2, and for the ultimate sound stage experience are tops. The other tube that has actually taken the # 1 spot for me, is the Brimar CV491 D Getters from Footscray 62'.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #377 of 718
Congrats on the purchase of an amazing amp! I look forward to hearing how it works out for you. Fun times ahead with your VC and the RH-5, no doubt!
I saw Blackwood VC shipping notices are starting to pop up! Will be enjoying the pairing soon it seems!

Dec 30, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #378 of 718
I found the RFT foil getter. Same seller I ordered from in the past and recommended by @Wes S. I ordered a quad, so hopefully at least 2 of the 4 are quiet. Will probably take a month to get them.
Nice, you are in for a treat with those tubes, and the good thing about the RH-5 is that I have not had any issues with noisy tubes. For instance, I have several tubes that are noisy in my Pendant and those exact same tubes are dead silent in my RH-5.

Dec 31, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #379 of 718
Wish
Nice, you are in for a treat with those tubes, and the good thing about the RH-5 is that I have not had any issues with noisy tubes. For instance, I have several tubes that are noisy in my Pendant and those exact same tubes are dead silent in my RH-5.
Wish I had known that before I bought 4 foil getters! I could have just bought 1 to pair with my noisy one I have for my Pendant lol. That’s ok, good to have spares!

Dec 31, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #380 of 718
A tube noisy in one amp but not another is not uncommon, especially with NOS tubes in my experience. But I have a few brand new manufactured 6SN7 types of different brands that are noisy in one amp but not in another amp. I haven't experienced it as much with the smaller signal tube types, like 12AU7's etc., but I'm sure it can happen. It's all a part of the tube experience. I would guess that an amp like the RH-5 gets at least a listen to before it goes in the shipping box, if noise is heard the manufacturer would just swap out the noisy tube before shipping, or I would hope so. I have a variety of 12AU7, CV4003, CV4034, ECC82 and M8136 I've tried in the RH-5 and all have worked flawlessly so far with no obtrusive noise at my normal and a bit beyond, listening levels, (fingers crossed).

Dec 31, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #381 of 718
She arrived today. Been listening for about an hour now. I'm pretty impressed. Just a beautiful black background. Excellent bass. Definitely needs to warm up before sounding best. It's big! Barely fits on top of my Yggy. The RFTs shipped today. Looking forward to dropping those in! It was a demo unit but looks like new. Not a single mark on it.

Jan 1, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #382 of 718
Wish

Wish I had known that before I bought 4 foil getters! I could have just bought 1 to pair with my noisy one I have for my Pendant lol. That’s ok, good to have spares!
You will be glad you have a pair of backups once you hear that tube in the RH-5, so no worries. :smile:

Jan 1, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #383 of 718
She arrived today. Been listening for about an hour now. I'm pretty impressed. Just a beautiful black background. Excellent bass. Definitely needs to warm up before sounding best. It's big! Barely fits on top of my Yggy. The RFTs shipped today. Looking forward to dropping those in! It was a demo unit but looks like new. Not a single mark on it.
Welcome to the club!

Jan 1, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #384 of 718
Happy New Year and Happy Listening to All!

I have decided to start the new year listening with my RH-5, and wouldn't have it any other way. Let the warmup begin. . . :o2smile:

20211018_171109.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #385 of 718
Tubes for RH-5: Let’s go with RFT ECC82 (foil getter) - the best and inexpensive! might be hard to find, though. Next best: RFT ECC82 (halo getter) - a small sonic step below the ‘foil getters’ but better than the vast majority of 12AU7-type tubes. Disclosure: I use the RFT ECC82 ‘foil getters’ in the RH-5 (and RFT ECC81 ‘foil getters’ in Woo Audio WA2).
Hi, Happy New Year everyone! @jonathan c, what sonic characteristics would you say distinguish the foil getter from the halo getters and makes the halo getters the better tube? Also, are the foil getters manufactured during different periods, factory, etc? Thanks, this is a great forum with lots of experienced discussions. Best regards, James

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #386 of 718
Part of the fun with tube rolling comes from what you hear, or not, with different tubes without expectation bias. Others impressions can sometimes color your expectations. And anyway, we all hear it differently for many reasons.

Jan 1, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #387 of 718
Hi, Happy New Year everyone! @jonathan c, what sonic characteristics would you say distinguish the foil getter from the halo getters and makes the halo getters the better tube? Also, are the foil getters manufactured during different periods, factory, etc? Thanks, this is a great forum with lots of experienced discussions. Best regards, James
Just jumping in as I have both versions as well, and the Foil Getters (earlier version) are a bit warmer and more organic/natural sounding and the O Getters (latter production) seem a bit less refined although a bit more dynamic/exciting and are slightly cooler sounding overall. Both are fantastic tubes that were made in the same factory in Germany and only after comparing them back to back would I be able to hear the differences.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #388 of 718
Just jumping in as I have both versions as well, and the Foil Getters (earlier version) are a bit warmer and more organic/natural sounding and the O Getters (latter production) seem a bit less refined although a bit more dynamic/exciting and are slightly cooler sounding overall. Both are fantastic tubes that were made in the same factory in Germany and only after comparing them back to back would I be able to hear the differences.
Thanks, Wes,very helpful!

Jan 1, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #389 of 718
Again, spot on!

(and if one wanted to be completely ‘tubal retentive’, one could roll between foils and halos depending on the ‘temperature’ of the recording…🤪)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #390 of 718
I’m pretty impressed so far. I really like the fine volume control. The Pendant SE is a little mids forward compared to the RH-5. I find myself turning up the RH-5 a little more because of this. Also, the Pendant is still more holographic sounding than the RH-5, but the RH-5 definitely isn’t flat and one dimensional like my Schiit Magnius solid state. The RH-5 is slightly fuller sounding and has better sub bass. I switched out the stock JJ tubes for the only pair of 12AU7s I have on hand, early 60’s RCA orange label clear glass side square getters. I liked this tube in the Pendant and I like it in the RH-5. The sound stage opened up, the bass tightened up, the mids filled in a little more, and the treble smoothed out. I know the RFTs will be even better because that’s what replaced the RCA in my Pendant! The RH-5 doesn’t get very warm either. The only thing I really miss is seeing the tube glow. If I could only keep either the RH-5 or Pendant SE, I think I would go with the RH-5 due to the added functionality. Right now I’m fortunate enough to be able to keep both Very outstanding amps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back