Roger Waters: Amused to Death
Aug 26, 2002 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Does anyone have any opinions on this album? I've heard that it's mastered with some special dsp/3d effects in it. . . Anyone know anything about this?

Aug 26, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 10
one of my favorite albums of all time, it is recorded in Qsound, makes for some interesting listening out of speakers but I'm not so sure that headphones will allow you to enjoy what Qsound has to offer. Pink Floyd and Waters himself now uses Qsound for their live shows as well.

Aug 27, 2002 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 10
Indeed, it is true. And yes, it does sound good on headphones, too. And an excellent album to boot.

Aug 28, 2002 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 10
Jeff Beck playing with Roger Waters. Well, at least a little bit. And great sonics too. Very fun (challenging) to move my room tuners about the room to catch the various ricochets.... and the explosion at mid-cd has turned more than a few heads as they try to figure out what the hell just exploded.

An interesting story - antiwar as is Roger's bent.

Some say yes, some say no, I've seen it frequently for resale. I'm not giving mine away.

Aug 28, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #6 of 10
After hearing some samples, this is going on my to-buy list.

Aug 28, 2002 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by nick danger
Jeff Beck playing with Roger Waters. Well, at least a little bit. And great sonics too. Very fun (challenging) to move my room tuners about the room to catch the various ricochets.... and the explosion at mid-cd has turned more than a few heads as they try to figure out what the hell just exploded.

An interesting story - antiwar as is Roger's bent.

Some say yes, some say no, I've seen it frequently for resale. I'm not giving mine away.

Everyone should own this record. "The Ballad Of Bill Hubbard" with the war-torn vets anecdote serving as bookends to a very pessimistic (realistic) view of the world.

Quite disturbing actually.

Aug 29, 2002 at 3:11 PM Post #8 of 10
FWIW, this disc was used by Corey Greenberg as a reference test disc in his Stereophile reviews about a decade ago.

I like the disc a lot, especially due to Jeff Beck's playing on it.
Waters had a really bizarre video for the What God Wants song. MTV used to actually play it a lot.

Those days are long gone.

Aug 29, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 10
it may have been used as a reference disk because sony made a sbm gold version of the disk, I personally have 3 sealed copies and 1 opened copy that I listen to almost weekly, the sound is unparalleled, just as good as mfsl disks imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back