The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 13, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #3,226 of 87,103
Loving the mids on the Blur 189 mx64ohm, at the point that if I move to Isabellae, it sounds even boomy.

I think @Rockwell75 should have a try and discover what an earbud can do. LOL

1634142935635.png

1634142897229.png

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #3,227 of 87,103
Loving the mids on the Blur 189 mx64ohm, at the point that if I move to Isabellae, it sounds even boomy.

I think @Rockwell75 should have a try and discover what an earbud can do. LOL

1634142935635.png

1634142897229.png

I've yet to try my Blur on the W2, I'll sort that tonight!

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #3,228 of 87,103
If you're buying buds from AE, there is one I'm currently eyeing. The FAAEAL Rosemary https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001607851892.html (or visit store)

Curious to how they'd sound. As I like their tuning on my Iris Ancestor. Warmish and clear less detailed neutral sound. The timbre is quite natural too. Iris has 32 ohms, Snow Lotus 64, and Rosemary 150

FAAEAL Rosemary was one of my first earbud purchases. They are very inoffensive, warm and have a large centre image that suits vocals well. It's a very cosy feeling to listen to. I use them now almost exclusively for PC gaming for the comfort. Timbre is good on them. They just don't have the clarity I look for and sound veiled to my ear. For the price though I don't think there is a reason to hesistate.

@Wildcatsare1 price-to-performance there are some great earbuds out there, so you can sample good quality without much initial investment to see if they're for you. My Isabellae hasn't had a look-in since I got into buds.

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #3,229 of 87,103
Beautiful can't wait to hear your impressions.
Some super early impressions of Mason FS as I’ve only listed to them less than an hour total. Here are some impressions from my first 20min of listening yesterday on my lunch break…Put on lady blackbird-fix it and goosebumps all down my body once she opened her mouth. Wow!! Noticing how mason fs is slower paced than the traillii…..it creates a beautiful space for the music to dance around in. So far this is what I’m getting…Endless space around every instrument including the human vocal. Crazy coherent. This reminds me of a single DD operating at an insane level but it’s all BA and one bone driver(pretty impressive)The bone driver must give that “thickness” I’m hearing. So much space and so much note weight at the same time. I can’t wait to hear it evolve with time. The cable needs to burn in! The ba’s shouldn’t take too long but I’m curious if the bone driver needs to burn in….

edit: by space I do not mean head room or staging…it just feels like each instrument is separated to the highest order.

Today on my desktop system…
Boy do these scale with power! The roof literally gets blown off and I mean this in the most positive way. The note weight on these is perfect! And I can say I prefer the weight here over the traillii by and far.
Mason makes compressed rock music sound full, not injecting color but vibrations and thickness that makes a lot classic rock more bearable to listen to. The FS def has a great tone and timbre to the notes just like the trailli but I believe the bone conduction driver is making them sound supernaturally real! It’s quite an achievement.
On Fleetwood Mac’s dreams (yes the most cliche track ever) I heard moments that I had never heard before and I’ve heard that song thousands of times throughout my life.
Also on Wilhelm scream by James Blake I heard sounds and echoes that I had never heard before, also knowing that track like the back of my hand.
Early impressions are extremely positive. And these monitors are quite the conundrum to what a full BA set up can achieve when adding a BCD! I do not pine for a dynamic driver at all with these! These are nuanced and cerebral as @Kiats so eloquently put it.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #3,230 of 87,103
Sounds like @Shanling will be unveiling the M9 tomorrow at an audio show. Really looking forward to learning more about it.

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #3,231 of 87,103
FAAEAL Rosemary was one of my first earbud purchases. They are very inoffensive, warm and have a large centre image that suits vocals well. It's a very cosy feeling to listen to. I use them now almost exclusively for PC gaming for the comfort. Timbre is good on them. They just don't have the clarity I look for and sound veiled to my ear. For the price though I don't think there is a reason to hesistate.

@Wildcatsare1 price-to-performance there are some great earbuds out there, so you can sample good quality without much initial investment to see if they're for you. My Isabellae hasn't had a look-in since I got into buds.

Thanks, that's a heck of an endorsement, I bought one named the “Rambo,” its gotta to have great bass!

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #3,232 of 87,103
Oct 14, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #3,233 of 87,103
Oct 14, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #3,234 of 87,103
It just stopped working, sent it to my Seller, they confirmed they are deceased and will replace it, the trouble is they no longer carry Shanling! So trying to figure out what to do, they are pushing Fiio, but I like the Shanling house sound. So I bought a Cayin N6ii and the R01, maybe I'll use the credit for a DAC, or headphones.

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #3,235 of 87,103
So I bought a Cayin N6ii and the R01
Curious what you think about it? After its got some good play time on it, of course. It changes quite a bit during the 1st 200 hrs.

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #3,236 of 87,103
Curious what you think about it? After its got some good play time on it, of course. It changes quite a bit during the 1st 200 hrs.

I love R2R tone and timbre, so I'm looking forward to trying this DAP. The DAP gets here tomorrow with the E02 board, the R01 will come from Cayin in a couple of days.

On another note, listening to Hans Zimmer’s Dark Night soundtrack on the EVO, feels like they are trying to jump out of my ears!

Oct 14, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #3,237 of 87,103
Since my M8 died😢, I am as well.

Sorry to hear that...I hope it gets resolved. Looking forward to your thoughts on the R01. I had the E02 when I had an n6ii and quite enjoyed it.

Unfortunately EVO's upper mids have taken it right out of contention for me failing managing to secure a demo somehow.

Oct 14, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #3,238 of 87,103
WAITING
on Softears ESV
7HZ Timeless
Effect Audio Leonidas 2
Moondrop Kato
Satin Audio Zeus (returned to Satin to repair connector pin I broke)

EDIT
Timeless and ESV arrived today.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #3,239 of 87,103
I'm waiting on a Satin Audio Athena, delays due to material shortages - was due this month but looks like mid November now.

In other more positive news, my 2nd Blur has landed in Ireland and should arrive to me tomorrow, can't wait to try another flavour of Blur buds!

Oct 14, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #3,240 of 87,103
My current top 5:

1) Dorado 2020
2) Isabellae
3) DT600
4) Holocene
5) Honeydew

All sound divine through both my M8 & N3Pro.

In other news I've been thinking a lot about this notion of IEMs describing sound (Ie., reference tuning) vs. feeling it. I'm reminded about my experience watching the second chapter of Stephen King's IT that was in theatres a couple years ago. It was basically a page by page, scene by scene presentation of the book. I remember thinking that it was a great reference for someone who wanted to know what happened in the book but it failed at capturing the emotions & sense of drama intended by the book. It made me think of other movies where more dramatic license was taken with the material and while not really presenting exactly what happened in the book they were better at capturing the spirit, feel an atmosphere of the book and conveying it to the audience. I think a similar phenomena occurs with our gear-- some of it succeeds wildly on a reference front but comes off cold & analytical, whereas other gear is more liberal with its coloration & presentation and is better at evoking emotions. Whichever one prefers will depend on their taste and the niche they're looking to fill. Often in audiophilia it's taken as gospel that "hi fidelity" or a more reference/intellectual presentation is superior/more desirable. Suffice to say I would disagree with this. Both modes of presentation are essential in this very human hobby and whichever one prefers at a given moment will be more a function of their needs/priorities/preference/use case than anything else.

That's my Thor's Day musing for the morning. Have a great day all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back