The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 31, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #2,131 of 86,954
US indy rock royalty on a great new album. Really showcases Isabellae's strengths, imo. Personal points for tape hiss. hi-res is on qobuz.

That's a nice song :beers: Thoroughly enjoyable to listen with Isa :musical_note:

I recently found this artist called 'Yuga'. She sounds eerily like Amber Rubath in singing style and vocal character, but her songs are in Japanese so.
The first song I think plays into Isa's mid-bass and upper-mids strength quite well; bass, guitar, drums, and female vocals sound nice altogether

This song in English also sounds nice 🎶 (please ignore the album cover..)

Eerily similar isn't it? :)

By the way, I found to my ears this tips setup to be beneficial to Isa's sound and seal comfort. I use the Sedna Light as it has a longer stem, and similar wide bore to the stock tips. They're attached just on the line slightly below the nozzle lip, so to give an extension to Isa's shorter stem. This to me allows for a bigger headspace/room feel to the stage, and helps position the main instrument more centrally, as well as reducing any forwardness in the upper-mids (for those who're sensitive)

taken-1627786931165-edit-368236334838.jpg
taken-1627786920227.jpg

Aug 1, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #2,132 of 86,954
Epic post thanks for sharing!

Oh Lawd he Comin!

Oh snap-- do you know if Baldr has the same e-stats as Traillii and Spark?

I've yet to really be moved by a Moondrop IEM-- but I've only heard the A8, S8 & the Dusk. Variations sounds interesting though.

I'm off to research the Baldr-- I've had Kinera on my radar for a while but haven't yet been sure which of their IEMs to look into.

Thanks for all that great intel :). Being able to walk into a store and demo a whole bunch of IEMs seems like an elusive fantasy right now.
It says on the website that they're Sonion EST65QB02 model. I don't know if they're the same

Thank you for your good words. Variations also has EST, and it could be the bang-for-the-buck tri-brid IEM at $500 price range. Definitely worth a try, especially on higher-powered players such as the M8. Not that they're hard to drive in the first place, but to let the EST perform at full potential

Well if you want a coherent DD-equiped IEM with EST treble, then Baldr is it. Nanna is also good, but I prefer the Baldr for its larger soundstage and better resolution. Mids are also quite pleasant to listen to. There may be other alternatives yet to be discovered

It is fortunately. I feel grateful to be able to demo these IEMs. Usually I buy some Sedna Light afterwards, or check out some cheap used cables just because they're pretty :)

Aug 1, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #2,133 of 86,954
US indy rock royalty on a great new album. Really showcases Isabellae's strengths, imo. Personal points for tape hiss. hi-res is on qobuz.

That's a nice song :beers: Thoroughly enjoyable to listen with Isa :musical_note:

I recently found this artist called 'Yuga'. She sounds eerily like Amber Rubath in singing style and vocal character, but her songs are in Japanese so.
The first song I think plays into Isa's mid-bass and upper-mids strength quite well; bass, guitar, drums, and female vocals sound nice altogether

This song in English also sounds nice 🎶 (please ignore the album cover..)

Eerily similar isn't it? :)

All 3 of those sounded really nice on the Reborn :)

By the way, I found to my ears this tips setup to be beneficial to Isa's sound and seal comfort. I use the Sedna Light as it has a longer stem, and similar wide bore to the stock tips. They're attached just on the line slightly below the nozzle lip, so to give an extension to Isa's shorter stem. This to me allows for a bigger headspace/room feel to the stage, and helps position the main instrument more centrally, as well as reducing any forwardness in the upper-mids (for those who're sensitive)

taken-1627786931165-edit-368236334838.jpg
taken-1627786920227.jpg

Reg Sednas (the longer ones) are my favorite on Isa too :)

Top Potential Impulse Buys in my audio life right now...

1) Campfire Holocene
2) Shanling M6 Pro 21 (I want a Sabre DAP)
3) Vision Ears EVE 21
4) Blon 03
5) Campfire Mammoth or Vega 2020
6) Campfire Solaris OG
7) Moondrop Variations
8) Thieaudio Clair

Aug 1, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #2,135 of 86,954
All 3 of those sounded really nice on the Reborn :)

Reg Sednas (the longer ones) are my favorite on Isa too :)

Top Potential Impulse Buys in my audio life right now...

1) Campfire Holocene
2) Shanling M6 Pro 21 (I want a Sabre DAP)
3) Vision Ears EVE 21
4) Blon 03
5) Campfire Mammoth or Vega 2020
6) Campfire Solaris OG
7) Moondrop Variations
8) Thieaudio Clair
You really ought to try a BL-03. It’s like a chifi rite of passage at this point 😂

Aug 1, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #2,137 of 86,954
I don't know why, but band reminds me of AJJ but not slightly unhinged.

Great album though thanks for sharing.

That's funny and random. AJJ are old friends of mine. They were fans of one of my bands, and we did some work together back in the day. I can only assume Sean is a Goats fan. Big influences. They’ve been around since the early 90’s.

Aug 1, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #2,138 of 86,954
You really ought to try a BL-03. It’s like a chifi rite of passage at this point 😂
I agree. It's like going back to earbuds and discovering that they actually sound pretty good. Once you change the cable and the tips, it's great to keep around for telephone calls and connecting to your laptop to watch youtube videos. Music is good, too. But I am partial to my other options for music.

Aug 1, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #2,139 of 86,954
I'm genuinely very eager to see what VE brings out next... I hope they go full experimental like they did with the Ely and bring out something new and unique.
Me too, I've been sending them fanboi emails begging for a DD BASS, DD mids, and 4 Estats up high!

Aug 1, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #2,140 of 86,954
a91238.png

"Are you guys talking about me?"

(Sorry I couldn't sleep.. :sweat_smile:)

Oh no.. Baldr (I haven't heard the Spark tho)

Given how your top two recommend are EST-configured IEM (Ely, Tra), you might want to check Kinera Baldr out. To me, its EST implementation is second best to Traillii, fast, smooth, yet accurate top quality treble. Plus it has an actual DD bass down low. Mids also sound very good and natural, with less laidback sound, and well-centered positioning. Soundstage may not be as wide, but it's pretty good about Isa's size. Technicality-wise I'd score the Baldr as 8/10 while the Traillii 9/10. But tonality wise I like the Baldr better, especially in the mids.Traillii's treble is still the best for me personally, but if you consider the whole package from bass upwards, the Baldr offers a seriously good deal :) I might go and get one next, it's now higher in my list than the Turii. Hopefully I can get both by the end of next month (this hobby is killing my wallet)

taken-1627721365563-edit-105459432274.jpg

Kinera Imperial Baldr (slight cosmetic difference from the previous Kinera Baldr model) @ US$1300-ish

200000059421_3571fd181df24bb993ae8d28ebfc1ef4.jpg

200000059421_7252f191d1154da98cfa96f7e0494a53.jpg

It was a happy sunny summer saturday today, so I decided to go on a trip.. to the store! :) Since I cannot sleep, I'll try to post some impressions recallable

taken-1627722072945-edit-91866072901.jpg

taken-1627722086116-edit-87044709360.jpg

First up (not in chronological order) is the Witch Girl Pro hybrid with 2 DD, which was the initial model prior to W6.2. They may not sound exactly the same, please keep in mind. To me the Witch Girl has this distinct aroma (pardon the pun) to their house sound which was tuned with dark-clarity combination. It's a very emotional sounding IEM, somewhat reminiscent of the good ol' VE5. But with bigger DD bass authorized down low. They have this alluring sweet mids that is smooth at the upper-end and slightly warm at the lower. It never comes off as bright, but it has decent amount of clarity. Did I say smooth? The lower-treble too is non-peaky and free of sibilance. Vocals especially sound unique on these, very romantic twilight evening dinner themed. He he. By the way, anyone wanna see my dinner? :)

taken-1627729582574.jpg

I call this, avo-kidding a la nuts

Its weakness however, is that it may come off as too colored for some, and may lack some bite and sparkle/shimmer in the lower-treble area, especially brass cymbals sound

Up next we have the Percivali

taken-1627719558513-edit-110229388003.jpg

I previously scored this as 6/10 for technicalities, and 4/10 for tonality. But after retrying, I'd say now it's more 7/10 and 5/10. The bass focuses more on mid-bass thump, with decent powerful punch to it. Its texture is distinctly separate from the rest of the frequency, so I hesitate to call it coherent. Mids actually sounded thicker than I remembered, but it still sounded a bit 'off' somewhat to my ears (YMMV of course). Vocals are tuned quite well, it has that slight Oriolus flavor to it. That raspiness and organic sound can be heard at some tracks. Treble are also pretty good, but again the texture felt different from the rest of the frequency reducing its coherency point. It's well extended and airy, very light and a little bit transparent. You can get a glimpse of where the idea for how Traillii's treble was tuned came from. Technicality-wise the Perci is a competent IEM, with some positive traits here-and-there (in segments). But to me, it lacks a bit of body in the mids, and some integration or unity as a whole.

Subsequently, we have the purple Crassi

taken-1627707420536-edit-126255661438.jpg
taken-1627707410798-edit-131430684874.jpg

I apologize before for saying inaccurately that the Crassi was tuned flat. The purple bird to my ears after trying the second time around sounded to me to be more forward and thin in the mids. Slight attenuation in the lower-mids, and extra lift in the upper, making its positioning more upfront, and note size a bit on the thinner side. However, by thin, I do not mean that it's anemic, dry or metallic, it just sounded proportionally tilted more towards the leaner brighter side, with less quantity in the lower-mids contrasting it. Tuning or sound signature overall, is somewhat like the Oriolus LTD, but with extra clarity and a bit less bass quantity. Bass is more focused on the mids rather than subs. Compared to the Reborn for example, it has less rumble and power, and a quicker attack as well as decay. The Reborn sounded warmer and positioning is more centrally placed

And then there is the red one

taken-1627707001518-edit-140868209873.jpg

We all know this. And so I won't go into much detail. I still stand by my previous assessment, 9/10 technicalities (layering, soundstage, resolution) equal to the RS10. It still has the best treble I've heard. Best EST implementation followed by number two, the Kinera Baldr (maybe the Spark, but I haven't heard it unfortunately). Bass mimics DD sound very well. It has a deep reach, and good powerful thump, especially for BA. It may not suit hip hop genre or EDM (sub-bass rumble, bass texture focused) very well though. However, for most drum and percussions they perform very well. Mids to me are kind of a hit and miss, as I really liked how the mids combined at the upper-end with the EST treble. Their pairing and chemistry are incredible, and a joy to hear. But the mids alone by itself, may lack that extra tinge of sparkle at the upper-end (for my taste) and a more spread imaging which may evince more details (again, for my taste, which may come at the cost of conceding some musicality or engagement). I won't comment about its price.. *tongue in cheek*

And various more! :)

taken-1627705781233-edit-166699645286.jpg

Variations @ $500-ish. Its mids share the same driver used in Softears IEM. So the texture is quite similar. Bass can be alikened to Honeydew, in that it goes deep like a DD should, but with medium power. Very well balanced tuning, somewhat similar to the RSV but with less brightness. Its EST treble are pretty impressive, but what impressed me more is how they managed to combined and integrate them together into one package. This was my first time listening, overall for $500 it is a good deal, especially if you like Moondrop house sound and tuning (I wish I could go into more details. Maybe next time)

:zzz: :zzz: 🎶
You are making me want to come out of retirement and request a post in Tokyo, jealous!

Aug 1, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #2,141 of 86,954
It says on the website that they're Sonion EST65QB02 model. I don't know if they're the same

Thank you for your good words. Variations also has EST, and it could be the bang-for-the-buck tri-brid IEM at $500 price range. Definitely worth a try, especially on higher-powered players such as the M8. Not that they're hard to drive in the first place, but to let the EST perform at full potential

Well if you want a coherent DD-equiped IEM with EST treble, then Baldr is it. Nanna is also good, but I prefer the Baldr for its larger soundstage and better resolution. Mids are also quite pleasant to listen to. There may be other alternatives yet to be discovered

It is fortunately. I feel grateful to be able to demo these IEMs. Usually I buy some Sedna Light afterwards, or check out some cheap used cables just because they're pretty :)
What are the differences between the Baldr and the Imperial?

Aug 1, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #2,142 of 86,954
Me too, I've been sending them fanboi emails begging for a DD BASS, DD mids, and 4 Estats up high!

That's my fantasy driver config right now-- I hope someone pulls it off!

What are the differences between the Baldr and the Imperial?

There is surprisingly scant info out there about the Baldr.

In other news it's practically raining Traillii on the used market..giving me some hope for the future.

Aug 1, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #2,143 of 86,954
Aug 1, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #2,144 of 86,954

IMO ultimate test for an IEM is ability to authentically reproduce the Panasonic whirring on Nothing for Juice.

Aug 1, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #2,145 of 86,954

Users who are viewing this thread

Back