The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 30, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #1,246 of 87,556
10% discount while it's still hot from the oven :smiley:

Jun 30, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #1,247 of 87,556
Jun 30, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #1,248 of 87,556
Slightly related
1339.png

Jun 30, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #1,249 of 87,556
The Hyla TE-5B to my ears sounded deep and hit really hard in the bass department. It's very enjoyable for any basshead in my opinion. I wonder what do you think of its lower frequency? And if I may ask, why did you decide to sell it?
It does have a healthy bass, but the shells are a little large for my ears. Plus I recently picked up the Legend X SE. :grimacing:

Jun 30, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #1,250 of 87,556
It does have a healthy bass, but the shells are a little large for my ears. Plus I recently picked up the Legend X SE. :grimacing:

Curious for your impressions...from the outside it looks like an LX with a Chi-Fi twist. I'm especially curious if the extra mid presence gives the LX more of a sense of air. This was ultimately the deal breaker for me with the LX-- I found it almost suffocating to listen to for longer stretches or after multiple days.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #1,251 of 87,556
AND at such a reasonably attainable price. Still waiting for Andrew/MusicTeck to receive them. He says shipping next week hopefully.

It's weird that after so much time (a month feels like an eternity in this hobby) that there are still so few Isabellae impressions out there. Once Andrew starts shipping there'll likely be a massive spike in impressions of these IEMs. I wonder if others will like them as much as I do. There only real weakness imho is their isolation, Beyond that they're pretty much perfect IEMs imho.

Jun 30, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #1,252 of 87,556
Following is a list of caveats that applies to any of my ranking lists, impressions, reviews etc.

1) Anything I post is just a reflection of my personal experience and preferences— I make no pretence of any of my impressions or rankings being an objective appraisal of any IEMs’ value or worth.

2) What I am after, with the listening experience, is emotional involvement. All other factors-- technical proficiency, perceived tonal accuracy, neutrality etc.-- are secondary for me. That’s not to say that those factors don’t play a role—but for me they are simply the means to the desired end of emotional engagement.

3) Different brands seem to have a distinct “house sound” or general tuning philosophy that resonates with different people in different ways. To use an analogy, I enjoy both Star Trek and Star Wars, but Star Wars strikes a deeper chord with me…not because it’s any better than Star Trek, but because it resonates more with me internally. I similarly connect with Campfire Audio IEMs in a way that I just don’t, or haven’t yet with, say, any 64 Audio IEMs I have heard. This does not mean I think Campfire is objectively “better”-- I just that happen to vibe more with their products and general aesthetic. I know there are many for whom the reverse is true however, as they say, YMMV.

4) The more time I spend in this hobby and the more IEMs I hear the less I feel inclined to break an IEM down into its constituent parts—bass, mids, treble, technicalities etc. More important to me than individual factors are how they all play together and coalesce into the overall gestalt of an IEM’s presentation. For example, on paper the Elysium’s bass seems like a deal breaker…but in the context of the signature on the whole it’s absolutely perfect and, in retrospect, somewhat revolutionary.

5) I’m not sure if this is a controversial topic or what (though knowing this hobby’s propensity for drama, it probably is in some quarters) but I am a very big believer in sources and synergies. As I’ve said before imho good synergy can add a kilobuck or two to the perceived quality of your setup—and it could just as easily reduce even the best IEM to a steaming pile of crap. As such I like to assess an IEM when I perceive it at its best—so all my comments will assume the best possible circumstances under which I have heard it. I know, for example, Andromeda can be source sensitive, but for the sake of this list, I’m not taking that under consideration.

6) Impressions are often a living breathing thing—some days all my IEMs sound great, sometimes nothing sounds right. Tastes and perceptions can evolve and change in time, not to mention sources and circumstances.

7) Tolerance and requirements for bass is a lot like spicy food—everyone has their limits, tolerances and needs.

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #1,253 of 87,556
Yeah, you have always been an emotional kind of guy. I remember you reviewing/discussing the VE V8 and its emotional connection. I used to want one because of that, but my desire is now Elysium. If the IEM does not do most everything else right, then I guess there is little emotion.
My Cary/Merlin/Rega speaker system has the ability to convey emotion well if playing vinyl. Sometimes my DNA Stratus/Focal Utopia / Schitt Yiggy can do it too.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #1,254 of 87,556
Yeah, you have always been an emotional kind of guy.

Lol I actually consider myself pretty even keeled on the whole :p

I remember you reviewing/discussing the VE V8 and its emotional connection. I used to want one because of that, but my desire is now Elysium. If the IEM does not most everything else right, then I guess there is little emotion.

VE8 at the time I first heard it was the first time I'd really experienced that to such an extent...properly driven the Elysium is a step up in just about every way imho. That said I'm finding that my little $600 Isa gives me enough of what I love in Elysium plus a couple things it doesn't offer (single driver coherence, DD bass).

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #1,255 of 87,556
I'd also like to share my findings. Relating to 3 of my favourite IEMs currently; namely Prelude, C/2019, and Isa. They're to say bluntly very different in sound. Each have their own 'style' or 'flavor' for the lack of better word. They possess that essential tone which in particular resonate with me on a personal level. That something in common can be alikened to the 'star' shapes below (also in my signature). They're all stars, but drawn differently
* = Prelude - This represents the lines essential to shaping a star. It can be seen as branching outwards, or crossing inwards. But both have a commonality which is they meet in the middle. The midrange and more specifically its timbre. The Prelude is a mid-centric IEM which focuses primarily on rendering vocals in such a way that I very much enjoy. It may not portray the most realistic accurate version of them, More analog cassette or vinyl-like type of sound. Suitable for music
★ = Isa - A star shape fully filled within. It represents coherency and the maximization of a single driver to provide reach throughout, and subsequently power and finesse in doing so. It has two points from where its power stems from. One in the mid-bass, which forms as the basis for its lows. And another in the upper-mids, from where it spreads both ways to cover its mids and treble. Like the majestic form of antlers spreading outwards from two foundations. It's a tuning gracefully done despite any and all limitations
☆ = C/2019 - The outline of the star. This represents simplicity at its best. Three drivers; one for lows, one for mids, one for highs. It has this neutral tuning that is the result of proper balancing of each their respective region/kingdom. All three coexisting in harmony, and performing in esprit de corps, creating this transparent frame from where music flows. The more I listen, the more I doubt whether if I'm actually listening; or am I hearing how the player/source sounds..

Sorry for the slightly odd post.. :sweat_smile:

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #1,256 of 87,556
so in what areas does the Elysium better the isabella?

Jun 30, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #1,257 of 87,556
so in what areas does the Elysium better the isabella?

Technicalities mostly, and also imho the highs...Ely has the nicest highs I've ever heard. I would also give Elysium the nod for female vocals. That said when you factor in cost/value Isabellae is a no-brainer imho

Jun 30, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #1,258 of 87,556
I found a big sleepy cat :smile: He likes to take afternoon naps there. I wonder why, out of all the places.. Everyone seems to have each their own 'spot'
IMG-20210626-150658-edit-83193069458659.jpg

Jun 30, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #1,259 of 87,556
Technicalities mostly, and also imho the highs...Ely has the nicest highs I've ever heard. I would also give Elysium the nod for female vocals. That said when you factor in cost/value Isabellae is a no-brainer imho

thanks...just currently deciding if i should get a new Isabellae, used Elysium or the used Percivali (which has a lack of reviews/comparisons, but in theory should be better due to price)

currently on the OG solaris and i listen through a chord hugo

Jun 30, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #1,260 of 87,556
Kinera Na Na Pro 2.0 in the house. I installed Xelastec tips and plugged it into the M8 and it sounds damn good if you like a midrange that is a little bit forward but CLEAN and CLEAR tone. Bass is there but not overdone. If you are a bass head, you do not need this one. piano sounds right and treble is CLEAN AND CLEAR as only ESTs do it.
Worth the money. Listening to Nick Drake now and it sounds great. Jack Johnson doing his thing and Nana is strutting her stuff.
Going to give her some overnight breakin and taker her to the beach.

Attachments

• tempImageN1lS2v.png
    tempImageN1lS2v.png
    9.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back