The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 15, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #916 of 87,614
I can't get over how much I'm enraptured by this tuneful little bird. Most of my experience has been with hybrids or IEMs with multiple drivers. I think at least some of the magic in this IEM derives from its single DD coherence-- it gives the whole signature an underlying cohesiveness, completeness & unity that is simply not possible with hybrid or even multiple BA setups. And there is the tuning...so tuneful, so seductive, balanced, well tempered and sweet...it really is like being charmed by a little bird on a tree outside, capturing your attention with its simple yet sweet and melodious musings. In a world that has seemingly gone insane, and in a hobby where more and more IEMs are coming out that push the price to quite frankly ludicrous levels I am quite I relieved that I can derive seemingly total and indefinite satisfaction from such a modestly priced and masterful creation as the Oriolus Isabellea. I've said it before but here is conclusive proof you don't need to break $1K to attain TOTL sound. I could take this as my only IEM and be totally happy for a very long time.

202094571_10165579941195654_161603479151878298_n.jpg

Edit: And while I'm on the topic of $$-- I am now convinced more than ever, to the core of my being actually, that spending many thousands of dollars may get you "the best" (whatever that means, but generally in a technical sense) but it won't necessarily, and often doesn't, translate to a more enjoyable listening experience. I've heard all kinds of great IEMs, some of them pushing $3K, and measured in the simple terms of how much enjoyment I derive from listening to them, this $600 little bird stands head to head with the best of them.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #917 of 87,614
The fambam:

E11DF05E-4DC7-4472-82D0-0B77AC28B67F.JPEG

1) Isabellae (Brahma-- the primal simplicity)
2) Elysium (Vishnu-- vibrant, vital & transcendent)
3) Dorado (Shiva-- firey untamed passion)
You ought yo keep those three IEMs for a while. That's my plan for now. We both know that something new and better will come from Oriolus or VE in the next 6 to 12 months, or maybe even CA.

Jun 16, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #918 of 87,614
I haven't seen graphs of Fantasy yet but if I had to guess based on what I've heard I would say that the highs, instead of sloping gradually downward following the elevated upper mids as they do in the Isa, instead slope upward. It wouldn't surprise me if there was an 8K or so peak in there somewhere.

Thanks to some measurements by @tgx78 I finally did see graphs of the Fantasy and Isabellae compared and I seem to have been right about the above:

A66865DD-E89B-4148-BF8F-4C7F0B4D8E8B.jpeg

Jun 16, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #920 of 87,614
I am here scratching my head to figure out why Cayin tuned the Fantasy way it did. Maybe they wanted to match it with their DAPs that utilizing a vacuum tube output (N3Pro & N8)?
How is the Fantasy compared to Isabellae?

Jun 16, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #921 of 87,614
I am here scratching my head to figure out why Cayin tuned the Fantasy way it did.

I dunno some people say the same thing about the Dorado and yet it's one of my favorite IEMs, and I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want a harmon tuned IEM, and yet many do. Perhaps there are some treble heads out there whom the Fantasy will be just what the Dr. ordered...it's certainly not for me though.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #922 of 87,614
Jun 16, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #923 of 87,614
I am here scratching my head to figure out why Cayin tuned the Fantasy way it did. Maybe they wanted to match it with their DAPs that utilize a vacuum tube output (N3Pro & N8)?
I suspect that to be the case. I wrote a few notes on how it synergises with the tube setting on the C9. The fantasy was rather enjoyable out of the C9 and sounded the best from a subjective “I liked it” perspective out of the sources I tried.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cayin-fantasy.25178/reviews#review-26066

Although being my first write-up it’s more of a comparison ramble. Very time poor currently.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #924 of 87,614
I suspect that to be the case. I wrote a few notes on how it synergises with the tube setting on the C9. The fantasy was rather enjoyable out of the C9 and sounded the best from a subjective “I liked it” perspective out of the sources I tried.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cayin-fantasy.25178/reviews#review-26066

Although being my first write-up it’s more of a comparison ramble. Very time poor currently.

That was a fair and balanced review...it's not a terrible IEM or anything but it is tuned to very specific tastes.

Jun 16, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #925 of 87,614
Tansio Spark is in the house!

60AF4613-2CAF-4778-BA57-37459C07B5B3.JPEG

I don't have time for a real demo but aftre a really quick listen my first thoughts are:

Setting-- 020 (stock)

+ punchy
+ dynamic
+ well balanced
+ vivid, bodied, resonant highs
+ Good BA bass
+ massive engaging holographic stage
+ forward, present & even keeled mids

- BA bass-- it's good BA bass, but still
- BA mids-- this one would likely be a deal breaker for me if I was in the market...the mids are good, not synthetic sounding or anything like on something like the MEST-- but to my ears they lack the seductive naturalness of the Elysium or Isa.
- The vocals are decent but after being spoiled by the Isa they don't quite hit the mark for me

Relative to what I've head before I'm tempted to say they sound a little like a Solaris, with much better highs, more forward upper mids and the DD swapped out for BA for the bass, with similar quantity.

TLDR: They're great and a clear step up from the MEST ii and would probably sit in the vicinity of OG MEST and Solaris if I were forced to rank them based on what I've heard.

Looking forward to more listening and playing with the switches.

Jun 16, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #926 of 87,614
Relative to what I've head before I'm tempted to say they sound a little like a Solaris, with much better highs, more forward upper mids and the DD swapped out for BA for the bass, with similar quantity.
Might have to pass on them. I was hoping for pretty much the opposite boosts and cuts. I don't need anything to sit in MEST/Solaris vicinity personally, lol.

Jun 16, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #927 of 87,614
Jun 16, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #928 of 87,614
Great review! I managed to resist the Isa, but man the draw is back, strong and real (and still on pre-sale from Andrew....). My N3s have not really satisfied me as my 'work' IEMs at all, I think these may hit the spot.....

Jun 16, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #929 of 87,614
Jun 16, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #930 of 87,614
Enjoying some more time with the Spark. The true star of the show here are the e-stats. They didn't jump out at me right away, perhaps because I was more fixated on the vocal and instrumental timbre at first, but the more I listen to them the more I am aware of their subtle & profound effects. Compared to the gen 1 estats in Ely they seem to produce a sound that, while similar in speed and shimmer, excels them in note strength, weight, "3dness"-- the the sound is vivid, powerful, lifelike & present without ever being overly vibrant, smeared or tingy. Mid range timbre aside the Spark, with its well balanced mid-forawrd tuning, is almost akin to an Elysium "with its big boy pants on".

The layering, separation, pristine clarity, sense of air & space are all fantastic...surpassing what is possible using a DD for the lows & mids. In fact it's probably the only real advantage to not using a DD. Is the sacrifice worth it? On the whole for me...no. While I am loving the technical, precise, spacious and engaging sound...a bit of the romance is gone. There's something about a good DD tuning that just tugs at my heart in a way I've not yet really experienced with any IEM lacking a dynamic in there somewhere.

The two most prominent things on my IEM wishlist now are 1) a MKii Ely with these same e-stats and 2) an IEM tuned by Oriolus, Campfire or Vision Ears with a DD doing the mids & lows and these e-stats doing the highs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back