The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 11, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #826 of 87,099
Did you ever hear the SE?
No, but I want to. If one comes up for a good price, I’ll probably jump on it.

Good note on the z1r. I had it high on my “want to try” list, but maybe I should look elsewhere? I already crossed off Legend X.

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #827 of 87,099
Good note on the z1r. I had it high on my “want to try” list, but maybe I should look elsewhere?.

Maybe, maybe not. Z1R has more of a pure sub-bass focus than Bravado or Dorado...and possibly to this date the finest sub-bass ever in an IEM. It doesn't have a lot of mid-bass presence so might mot be as much of an issue for you. It has some amazing treble too. I personally loved it, especially through the M8, and only sold it because it has a bit more of an "eastern" FR than is ideal for me and what I listen to. Also a lot of the guys who don't like the Bravado and Dorado really like the IER Z1R...so take that for what it's worth. I'm very eager to see what you think of the Isa...if you like it my rec would be for you to look into the Elysium. The two of them are different shades of the same flavor-- one with masterful technicalities spread over 3 driver types and another with the incomparable allure of single driver coherence and DD bass. They are pretty much my new 1-2.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #828 of 87,099
What's truly remarkable is that they're willing to sell it at such a great price. It's as good as anything I've heard, including many that are 3-4x the cost. Mine is now i BC however I won't get it until Monday...which can't come soon enough haha
Suspect the trickling down effect from the Traillii maybe? Covering some of the R&D cost. The Isa hopefully will start a new trend, where companies propose their best value products to the market. And more people could participate voicing their votes. It's a better trend IMO than flagships with rocketing prices.
I liked Bravado MKii a lot for what it was..it did more for me than MEST ii. YMMV though. .Isa is summit fi though imho...I think you'll love it. I have the Carbo Mezzo coming too :)
I gave my ZB-03 and Mezzo to my friends, and bought a new one. SQ-wise, the Mezzo doesn't sound like it's $50 at all. I keep forgetting that..
Eventually need to hear the Elysium after I play in the lower price brackets a bit.
I appreciate everyone on here and their views. I am having quite a bit of fun.
It is one of the joy in this hobby I think, to try out and discover different kinds of tuning/ideas

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #829 of 87,099
Maybe, maybe not. Z1R has more of a pure sub-bass focus than Bravado or Dorado...and possibly to this date the finest sub-bass ever in an IEM. It doesn't have a lot of mid-bass presence so might mot be as much of an issue for you. It has some amazing treble too. I personally loved it, especially through the M8, and only sold it because it has a bit more of an "eastern" FR than is ideal for me and what I listen to. Also a lot of the guys who don't like the Bravado and Dorado really like the IER Z1R...so take that for what it's worth. I'm very eager to see what you think of the Isa...if you like it my rec would be for you to look into the Elysium. The two of them are different shades of the same flavor-- one with masterful technicalities spread over 3 driver types and another with the incomparable allure of single driver coherence and DD bass. They are pretty much my new 1-2.
Great insights, thanks. In a few weeks this thread will be all Isa, all Mezzo. Its like an audio book club. And that is perfect.

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #831 of 87,099

Z1R is on my list as well... never seemed to demo it. I did demo it's little sister - Justears.

I listened to it with my own WM1A and tracks that I know the ins and outs of.

There is a certain comfort in going full Sony. It is like wearing matching socks. It is "their way" of listening to music.

"Their way" consists of atmosphere and not detail retrieval. It's almost as if I was feeling the music more than I was listening to it. Sitting there in the store. I was listening to it intensely. As we all do when we are trying to critically analyze some gear, but I could not but think that this is not what they intended. This is a shock coming from 8-12 full BA iems. Music is there but it is laidback. I could be reading a magazine while listening to this. I could be writing an email for work. The music is non-invasive and... atmospheric. I think most audiophiles would be turned down by this kind of configuration. It's a lot of buck and most audiophiles want the maximum amount of details for those bucks.

Yet... I could understand what the Sony engineers were doing. This is a unique experience. This is bass coming from a 13mm DD. The best way of listening to music is actually taking a step back and looking at the picture as a whole. There is something more important than whether you hear that little slap drum from this album more clearly using this IEM and this cable than another. That is the emotion of the music.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #832 of 87,099
Suspect the trickling down effect from the Traillii maybe? Covering some of the R&D cost. The Isa hopefully will start a new trend, where companies propose their best value products to the market. And more people could participate voicing their votes. It's a better trend IMO than flagships with rocketing prices.

I honestly think $1-2K has been a sweet spot for IEMs for a while. Companies often put their most "user friendly" IEMs out at this level, presumably at least in part because of a perceived need to justify increased costs with gimmicks, exotic tech or highly specialized/technical presentations. It's interesting how often it happens that a companies' lower tier offering is their most widely revered, often over much more expensive models. Examples: Andromeda, u12t, Mest, Legend X.

The ISA is the first sub $1K IEM I've heard that truly and completely holds its own-- and often much more than that-- with its much more takai brethren. The secret to this I think is their tuning. Good equipment is needed to make the most out of mediocre tuning-- but good tuning will shine through even in the most modest of setups.

I gave my ZB-03 and Mezzo to my friends, and bought a new one. SQ-wise, the Mezzo doesn't sound like it's $50 at all. I keep forgetting that..

It is one of the joy in this hobby I think, to try out and discover different kinds of tuning/ideas

I can't wait to hear it-- I have two of their IEMs on the way to me (in theory, they haven't been shipped yet) :)

Great insights, thanks. In a few weeks this thread will be all Isa, all Mezzo. Its like an audio book club. And that is perfect.

Yeah be sure to update once you get yours...would love to hear your impressions.

On the topic of hotboxes, pretty much every post I’ve made on these forums I’ve posted while high.

Stoner rock go!

Love it.

Speaking of stoned chilled grooves:

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #833 of 87,099
There is a certain comfort in going full Sony. It is like wearing matching socks. It is "their way" of listening to music.

I agree. it's the the same sort of functional and aesthetic symmetry you see with Apple products and Sony was Apple before Apple was Apple. I've been a Sony fanboy much of my life :). I hope they keep going in the realm of TOTL portable audio. I'd love to see them attempt at least one "western tuned" flagship.

"Their way" consists of atmosphere and not detail retrieval. It's almost as if I was feeling the music more than I was listening to it. Sitting there in the store. I was listening to it intensely. As we all do when we are trying to critically analyze some gear, but I could not but think that this is not what they intended. This is a shock coming from 8-12 full BA iems. Music is there but it is laidback. I could be reading a magazine while listening to this. I could be writing an email for work. The music is non-invasive and... atmospheric. I think most audiophiles would be turned down by this kind of configuration. It's a lot of buck and most audiophiles want the maximum amount of details for those bucks.

I think all the best IEMs go for a distinct atmosphere-- some sort of wholistic vision or ideal, be it relaxing, visceral, bombastic or zen inducing. Picking an IEM is kind of like choosing an album or a movie to watch-- your choices will range between varying styles, tones, and ideals etc. All my favourite companies (Shanling, Campfire, Vision Ears, Oriolus, Sony, Cayin, Empire etc.) excel at creating products that feel inspired, that they are the result of a singular vision and purpose as opposed to being tuned/designed by committee or algorithm.

The best way of listening to music is actually taking a step back and looking at the picture as a whole.

I would love to hear you expand on this a bit. I'm actually converging on an opposite view...at least relative to a literal interpretation of that statement. Instead of "stepping back" for me the act of listening to music for me is one of immersion, envelopment and, ultimately, oneness.

Edit: Thank-you for this thoughtful response-- I really enjoyed engaging with it.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #834 of 87,099
I agree. it's the the same sort of functional and aesthetic symmetry you see with Apple products and Sony was Apple before Apple was Apple. I've been a Sony fanboy much of my life :). I hope they keep going in the realm of TOTL portable audio. I'd love to see them attempt at least one "western tuned" flagship.

I think all the best IEMs go for a distinct atmosphere-- some sort of wholistic vision or ideal, be it relaxing, visceral, bombastic or zen inducing. Picking an IEM is kind of like choosing an album or a movie to watch-- your choices will range between varying styles, tones, and ideals etc. All my favourite companies (Shanling, Campfire, Vision Ears, Oriolus, Sony, Cayin, Empire etc.) excel at creating products that feel inspired, that they are the result of a singular vision and purpose.

I would love to hear you expand on this a bit. I'm actually converging on an opposite view...at least relative to a literal interpretation of that statement. Instead of "stepping back" for me the act of listening to music for me is one of immersion, envelopment and, ultimately, oneness.

Edit: Thank-you for this thoughtful response-- I really enjoyed engaging with it.
True listening means being present , being the space for things to happen. Although not everyone is capable of this , it comes through utter stillness which is rare these days . The movement of thought gets in the way in the slightest of ways without one realising it.

Jun 12, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #836 of 87,099
07_a56d0dea-f9d8-47ec-93ae-3a1c6c89a1ac_1024x1024.jpg
Have you guys seen the new M6 Pro 21? It's said to use the latest Sabre, ES9068AS. Add with, an extra boost in power output. And a change in internal amplifier (OPA2211)
https://shop.musicteck.com/products...roid-os-loseless-hi-res-music-portable-player

Sorry for the "out there" comment. Haha
:beerchug:

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #837 of 87,099
True listening means being present , being the space for things to happen. Although not everyone is capable of this , it comes through utter stillness which is rare these days . The movement of thought gets in the way in the slightest of ways without one realising it.

It's just like anything else the more you practice it, regularly and consciously, the easier it comes. Also it depends on your habits and attitudes. Speaking personally I stopped watching major network news and TV 25 years go because ultimately all it did was produce chaos, distraction and stress within my mind that, among other things, made it difficult to remain centered within myself. Admittedly those who never think in these terms or who make no effort to focus and discipline their consciousness (via regular meditation, prayer or whatever practice works for them) find it nearly impossible to do so if they try...but with some practice and a bit of discipline it gets easier.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #838 of 87,099
Jun 12, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #840 of 87,099
It's just like anything else the more you practice it, regularly and consciously, the easier it comes. Also it depends on your habits and attitudes. Speaking personally I stopped watching major network news and TV 25 years go because ultimately all it did was produce chaos, distraction and stress within my mind that, among other things, made it difficult to remain centered within myself. Admittedly those who never think in these terms or who make no effort to focus and discipline their consciousness (via regular meditation, prayer or whatever practice works for them) find it nearly impossible to do so if they try...but with some practice and a bit of discipline it gets easier.

Edit: You deleted your comment while I was writing this-- I can delete it if you want. I don't mind "out there" comments, especially if they are sincere and lead to interesting discussion.
I've found after a certain point if one grows more conscious and cultivates presence ,a lot of old habits just drop by themselves and whole lifestyle goes through changes. Personally I have never been a person to fight with any of my tendencies and habits , just watch it , never been on a diet in my life. I've been into Zen and that way of thinking since a very young age and it's very fascinating for me. A lot of answers have been there for human beings since long, long time ago in various scriptures and old wisdom in different cultures .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back