The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 11, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #811 of 87,502
I'm the opposite. MEST MKii stomps all over Bravado for me. MEST is just kind of boring. (shrug)
I think I just hate bassy IEM's, and that's all I've been buying lately. Turning away any that smell of bass anemia. But neutral and lacking in bass may be the truth I need that I've been reticent to acknowledge?
I almost lol'd when I heard Bravado after 100 hrs. $700? Is this a joke? They must hate their budget minded customers. Cause this is insulting or EE are technically incompetent. There is a 3rd reason, of course.
It's me. And I am the problem. :ksc75smile:

Oh, and my Mezzo is on the truck for today. STOKED!

It's shocking to me how differently we can all hear things. I loved the bass and treble on the Bravado...the treble in particular was spectacular and at the time I thought it was the best sub $1K IEM I'd heard. The Isa eats it alive though. MEST I just found uninspired-- the mids felt synthetic and the whole presentation had a "tuned by committee" feel...it was all very bland, especially after how much I'd loved the OG MEST. I think going forward I need DD mids to be really happy.

When did you order the Mezzo? I ordered mine a week ago from Amazon and it hasn't shipped yet :/

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #812 of 87,502
Ah, sorry.. I must be high then

Slightly off-topic, but man the treble on the Isa is just so perfect. I don't think I'd add or take away anything, the way it is is simply brilliant. Love the tuning.

Another thing about DD is that it differs from BA by allowing more spread imaging, and bigger-sized fuller notes, albeit at the expense of agility, concise pinpoint accuracy, and detailed precision. In other words, it allows for a less analytical listening. It gives you this hazy feeling and a sense of reminiscing nostalgia, that warm-hinting organic sound. Listening to vocal performances with eyes closed at night feels surreal somehow. As if you're there, in a parallel place and time where the singer is singing in front of you. It may not boast a grand stage feel to it, more intimate. But you can sense that warm breath coming out from the chest and into voice. It's simply amazing.

Isabellae began development from the early days of the Oriolus brand and took about seven years to officially complete it.

With every detail in mind, Isabellae expresses natural, stretchy treble and smooth, crisp sound performance while being easy on the ears and lightly controlling powerful sounds.

Equipped with a custom-made 9.8mm inertial dynamic unit exclusively for Isabellae, a combination of Japanese Daikoku CCAW voice coil and patented metal shell external magnetic design.

Hand-finished ergonomically designed earphone housing using German-made medical resin.

Uses selected silver-plated wire and 4.4mm terminated balanced cable.

Driver: 9.8mm DD
Impedance: 30 Ohm
Sensitivity: 113dB
Frequency response: 10Hz~40kHz
Weight: 13g
Plug: 4.4mm

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/oriolus-isabellae.25209/

Your description perfectly captures the DD magic and appeal, and exactly the experience I have with the 3DT, as if in the room with the musician and the instruments sound organic. If there's any chance @tgx78 could do a brief comparison of modded 3DT compared to Isa that would be amazing (or anyone else with both). With a similar tuning when modded I would be interested to see what 3 DDs provide on the technicalities front. Whatever happens I know I'm in safe hands with these two IEMs. We are spoilt for choice!

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #813 of 87,502
Your description perfectly captures the DD magic and appeal, and exactly the experience I have with the 3DT, as if in the room with the musician and the instruments sound organic. If there's any chance @tgx78 could do a brief comparison of modded 3DT compared to Isa that would be amazing (or anyone else with both) . With a similar tuning when modded I would be interested to see what 3 DDs provide on the technicalities front. Whatever happens I know I'm in safe hands with these two IEMs. We are spoilt for choice!

I know you weren't asking me but from memory the mod to the 3DT brings it closer to the Isa in terms of boosting the mid-bass and taming the upper mids...but even modded the 3DT lacks the inspired magic of Isa's tuning with vocals & mids in general...imho.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #814 of 87,502
It's true how we hear differently, 100%. I couldn't even hear the treble on Bravado, lol. I was in a tar pit of bass reaching out to grab other frequencies and I just couldn't. I mean, I could tell enough that if I turned the bass down massively, there was some competent sounds trying to get out, but ultimately I shouldn't have to fight so hard. C'est la vie.

MEST is bland and tuned by committee, yes, but it works astonishingly well on the AR-M2. Synergy and all that. Also, got quite a bit better after some time and I got used to the bone conduction. So it gets a pass until I find a better choice. It complements Solaris better than I would have thought.

The Mezzo I bought was the last one from that particular seller and was prime (pretty sure) June 7th so maybe you just bought from a different seller who only does mail 2 times a week or something?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #815 of 87,502
I know you weren't asking me but from memory the mod to the 3DT brings it closer to the Isa in terms of boosting the mid-bass and taming the upper mids...but even modded the 3DT lacks the inspired magic of Isa's tuning with vocals & mids in general...imho.

Thanks for your perspective, any and all thoughts are welcome :)! Hmmmmm...another concern is the loss of bass presence moving to the Isa, I have a need for impact and rumble. Whats the sub bass like @Rockwell75 ?

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #816 of 87,502
Thanks for your perspective, any and all thoughts are welcome :)! Hmmmmm...another concern is the loss of bass presence moving to the Isa, I have a need for impact and rumble. Whats the sub bass like @Rockwell75 ?

It extends deep but on Isa mid-bass is more of a focus than sub-bass...which is exactly what I personally like. Isa has great sub-bass though-- it doesn't grab your attention but if you focus on it everything is there. Lack of mid-bass oomph has been a deal breaker for me in the past...it's one of the things I'm a stickler about and Isabellae nails it. If you love the 3DT I think you'll really love the Isabellae. Tuning, texture and timbre wise it's on par with Elysium...which is no small praise from me.

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #817 of 87,502
It extends deep but on Isa mid-bass is more of a focus than sub-bass...which is exactly what I personally like. Isa has great sub-bass though-- it doesn't grab your attention but if you focus on it everything is there. Lack of mid-bass oomph has been a deal breaker for me in the past...it's one of the things I'm a stickler about and Isabellae nails it. If you love the 3DT I think you'll really love the Isabellae. Tuning, texture and timbre wise it's on par with Elysium...which is no small praise from me.

Sounds better and better to be honest! Thanks man :)

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #819 of 87,502
It's true how we hear differently, 100%. I couldn't even hear the treble on Bravado, lol. I was in a tar pit of bass reaching out to grab other frequencies and I just couldn't. I mean, I could tell enough that if I turned the bass down massively, there was some competent sounds trying to get out, but ultimately I shouldn't have to fight so hard. C'est la vie.

MEST is bland and tuned by committee, yes, but it works astonishingly well on the AR-M2. Synergy and all that. Also, got quite a bit better after some time and I got used to the bone conduction. So it gets a pass until I find a better choice. It complements Solaris better than I would have thought.

Yeah I totally get you about synergy. What did you listen to Bravado with? Your impressions of the bass and treble really surprise me-- and I'm wondering if your source had enough juice to really light the e-stats up. I found the treble to be forward, clear, present, smooth and detailed. The bass definitely jumps out at you at first but after a while receded into the background and by the time I was done with it it was hard to think of it as a particularly bass heavy IEM...certainly not anywhere the level of LX or Dorado...or even the IER Z1R, whose bass is heavier and sub-bass more present.. I listened to the Bravado using high and turbo gain through the Shanling M8.

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #820 of 87,502
When I first got into this hobby a couple years ago I was primarily interested in bass, treble and technicalities and I wondered why so many people I looked up to cared primarily, and often obsessively, about the mid-range. Now I get it.

Jun 11, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #821 of 87,502
Yeah I totally get you about synergy. What did you listen to Bravado with? Your impressions of the bass and treble really surprise me-- and I'm wondering if your source had enough juice to really light the e-stats up. I found the treble to be forward, clear, present, smooth and detailed. The bass definitely jumps out at you at first but after a while receded into the background and by the time I was done with it it was hard to think of it as a particularly bass heavy IEM...certainly not anywhere the level of LX or Dorado...or even the IER Z1R, whose bass is heavier and sub-bass more present.. I listened to the Bravado using high and turbo gain through the Shanling M8.
I had Bravado burning in on a Dragonfly Cobalt and checked in every 30 hrs or so. At around 110 hrs moved it to the AR-M2 as that was the paring I was hoping for, but that didn't work out very well. I then tried it on the M8 at Turbo gain. Had to blast it at around 55-60 on Turbo, its hungry and apparently @99db sensitivity, so it drinks power. The best filter was sharp roll off. The rest added too much boom.
On the plus side, the shell is great for me and I was able to use a variety of tips that I usually can't cause they are all too small. I used Xalastec, Comply foam, and the standard silicon's I use for MEST and Solaris. Foam was the best, but it still had terrible balance. It sounded best when I let the seal leak and hold them in place like that. And I hate bright IEM's too, so idk.
Like I said, it's probably just me? Maybe I have a very small sweet spot regarding IEM's? I still have a pair of CFA Polaris v2's and they had way less bass than the Bravado or the Dorado even. Which is not at all expected.

I was over at @crinacle's site, and their impression is expressed similar to mine, so I don't feel so alone, lol:
“Bassy. Very bassy.

I usually don’t use the word ‘recessed mids’ since I find that descriptor heavily overused and losing its meaning as time goes on. However in this case I think the Bravado Mk2 fits that description perfectly; instruments, vocals, percussions… literally anything that doesn’t exist in the basslines are pushed so far back in the mix that I find myself literally straining to enjoy the music on this.

I supposed this isn’t too dissimilar to the original Bravado, but still. As a basshead’s IEM, it may scratch that boom-boom itch but ultimately doesn’t quite have the finesse and control that would compel me to consider this as a ‘good’ bassheads’ IEMs.”

My Mezzo is delayed. :sob:

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #822 of 87,502
I had Bravado burning in on a Dragonfly Cobalt and checked in every 30 hrs or so. At around 110 hrs moved it to the AR-M2 as that was the paring I was hoping for, but that didn't work out very well. I then tried it on the M8 at Turbo gain. Had to blast it at around 55-60 on Turbo, its hungry and apparently @99db sensitivity, so it drinks power. The best filter was sharp roll off. The rest added too much boom.
On the plus side, the shell is great for me and I was able to use a variety of tips that I usually can't cause they are all too small. I used Xalastec, Comply foam, and the standard silicon's I use for MEST and Solaris. Foam was the best, but it still had terrible balance. It sounded best when I let the seal leak and hold them in place like that. And I hate bright IEM's too, so idk.
Like I said, it's probably just me? Maybe I have a very small sweet spot regarding IEM's? I still have a pair of CFA Polaris v2's and they had way less bass than the Bravado or the Dorado even. Which is not at all expected.

I was over at @crinacle's site, and their impression is expressed similar to mine, so I don't feel so alone, lol:
“Bassy. Very bassy.

I usually don’t use the word ‘recessed mids’ since I find that descriptor heavily overused and losing its meaning as time goes on. However in this case I think the Bravado Mk2 fits that description perfectly; instruments, vocals, percussions… literally anything that doesn’t exist in the basslines are pushed so far back in the mix that I find myself literally straining to enjoy the music on this.

I supposed this isn’t too dissimilar to the original Bravado, but still. As a basshead’s IEM, it may scratch that boom-boom itch but ultimately doesn’t quite have the finesse and control that would compel me to consider this as a ‘good’ bassheads’ IEMs.”

Bass is like spicy food-- everyone has their own tolerance. That said it was more your comment about the treble that surprised me-- it was so vivid, detailed and alive to me and it further reminded me how great e-stat treble can be. As with all things in this hobby though, YMMV.

Jun 11, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #824 of 87,502
Bass is like spicy food-- everyone has their own tolerance. That said it was more your comment about the treble that surprised me-- it was so vivid, detailed and alive to me and it further reminded me how great e-stat treble can be. As with all things in this hobby though, YMMV.
Yeah, I think I just crave slam with a pretty fast decay and detailed roundness with zero band bleed, but I am still learning what I like and how that translates from impressions, etc. The bass quantity on Solaris +1-2 would be perfect, imo.

I am changing gears now and running towards "bass lite". See how that goes for a bit. I'd love to fill some posts with fawning adoration.
Eventually need to hear the Elysium after I play in the lower price brackets a bit.
I appreciate everyone on here and their views. I am having quite a bit of fun.

Jun 11, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #825 of 87,502
Yeah, I think I just crave slam with a pretty fast decay and detailed roundness with zero band bleed, but I am still learning what I like and how that translates from impressions, etc. The bass quantity on Solaris +1-2 would be perfect, imo.

I am changing gears now and running towards "bass lite". See how that goes for a bit. I'd love to fill some posts with fawning adoration.
Eventually need to hear the Elysium after I play in the lower price brackets a bit.
I appreciate everyone on here and their views. I am having quite a bit of fun.

Cheers man...a diversity of opinions is a crucial factor in good discussions.

I agree about the bass on the Solaris. Did you ever hear the SE? I found the bass on that more impactful than it was on the OG. Solaris had some of my favorite ever bass...the quantity have been increased a bit but the quality was top tier. It didn't have the long decay of something like the IER Z1R but its density, timbre and grip are fantastic. CFA's 10mm driver puts out my favorite mid-bass texture and thump of any IEMs I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back