The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 21, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #2,642 of 87,105
Friend dropped by with his N6ii e02 and I tried it with my perci. Couldn’t get grooving with it. Pacing seemed a tad slow and it sounded congested/busy. It should have enough power though but maybe it’s the impedance matching.

Aug 21, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #2,643 of 87,105
My N3pro arrived yesterday, I like it so much, I'm trading for an N8. I've found that you love a device, there's a very good chance I'll also enjoy the DAP/IEM/cable.

Cheers man I reciprocate the sentiment. I'm hoping to stretch to an N8 myself some day...in the meantime though the N3Pro is shockingly good for how modestly priced it is and all the tube-y goodness (both in looks and sound) it brings to the table.

@Rockwell75 (Jeff) has great taste in IEMs! Golden ears I’d say.

Cheers, as do you. :)

In other news I finally got acquainted with the Geek:

56ABEAA3-4085-4CA7-9438-E18CA98D0925.JPEG

Looking beyond how cheap feeling they are and that the "heart motif" doesn't really work for me in person I've been quite digging these. The first thing that jumped out at me was the meaty mid-bass response-- anti-midbass ayatollahs, people who need lots of upper mids or people who need exceptional balance or a reference type sound need not apply. Vocals are a little pushed back but female vocals are still breathy and seductive when need be and male vocals sound bodied and natural. People who enjoy CFA's bassier outings will find a lot to love here. Looking beyond the mid-bass and post some brain burn-in I"m impressed with the technical chops on these things-- detail retrieval & layering is deceptively good. I've never heard electret drivers before but listening to these, while it's clearly not on the same level, I catch shades of the shimmer and bodied natural presence of the highs on e-stat IEMs like the Elysium. While these won't displace any of my current faves they're damn good for $50 and if you can handle a good mid-bass emphasis while still retaining excellent presence in the mids and highs while possessing a decently coherent sound I'd heartily rec these over either the Blon 03 or Carbo Mezzo (my other $50 reference points)-- though all 3 IEMs have their charms & strengths.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #2,644 of 87,105
Aug 21, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #2,646 of 87,105
My N3pro arrived yesterday, I like it so much, I'm trading for an N8. I've found that if you love a device, there's a very good chance I'll also enjoy the DAP/IEM/cable.
The N8 has never been cheaper in the used market, given its tube implementation and how scarce they're in portable players, I think they're a good collector's item (as well as listening of course :)
First thing I noticed switching from N3Pro to N8, is its stage expansion and second impressive high resolution. The tube may give that gooey warm feel to the presentation, which gives that organic feel. But substitute the amp with a desktop one (through line out, or digital), they're quite satisfying nonetheless. Very good in the technical department

Aug 21, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #2,647 of 87,105
It's not his taste we have a problem with. It's his hearing. Haha.

I'm not sure if your comment was meant to be dismissive, hurtful or what but my intent on Head Fi and in this thread, as I have stated repeatedly, is to indulge two passions of mine-- audio & writing-- in a community setting. If people find value in anything I share that is very fulfilling, and I love being able to help people-- but this is secondary for me as my primary aim here is really a sincere form of self discovery and self expression. If others find value in it that it is wonderful but ultimately a beautiful bonus. Meeting the standards of the opinions & orthodoxies of others in and of itself is of little importance for me, though I will happily accept feedback from anyone I feel is sincere and I have no problem discussing or clarifying anything I have posted.

“I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's." ~ William Blake

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #2,648 of 87,105
I'm not sure if your comment was meant to be dismissive, hurtful or what but my intent on Head Fi and in this thread, as I have stated repeatedly, is to indulge two passions of mine-- audio & writing-- in a community setting. If people find value in anything I share that is very fulfilling, and I love being able to help people-- but this is secondary for me as my primary aim here is really a sincere form of self discovery and self expression. If others find value in it that it is wonderful but ultimately a beautiful bonus. Meeting the standards of the opinions & orthodoxies of others in and of itself is of little importance for me, though I will happily accept feedback from anyone I feel is sincere and I have no problem discussing or clarifying anything I have posted.

“I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's." ~ William Blake
Hopefully, he was swinging for a joke and whiffed.

On a more positive note, a late Saturday night listening session with the N3pro in UL mode feeding my Thummim and King Crimson, “In the Court of the Crimson King, ” OMG sublime is an understatement, it's an otherworldly experience!

Aug 22, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #2,649 of 87,105
Hopefully, he was swinging for a joke and whiffed.

On a more positive note, a late Saturday night listening session with the N3pro in UL mode feeding my Thummim and King Crimson, “In the Court of the Crimson King, ” OMG sublime is an understatement, it's an otherworldly experience!

That was the first CD I ever bought for the Denon CD player I bought with money from being a beach lifeguard through the summer.. I think it was in 1988.. What an album...

Aug 22, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #2,650 of 87,105

I remember the 80s going to a stereo store with my parents and gazing in awe at all the different amps, components...and price tags. Denon was the cream of the crop in those days, at least where I was, and hearing the name always takes me back to those first experiences which in hind sight were planting the seeds of my current obsession...I mean hobby.

Aug 22, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #2,651 of 87,105
I remember the 80s going to a stereo store with my parents and gazing in awe at all the different amps, components...and price tags. Denon was the cream of the crop in those days, at least where I was, and hearing the name always takes me back to those first experiences which in hind sight were planting the seeds of my current obsession...I mean hobby.

Same for me - visiting an uncle's house in the 80s, he had Denon separates and floorstanding Kef speakers, I was in absolute awe of the setup, couldn't believe the sound... absolutely planted the seeds for me then too.

Aug 22, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #2,652 of 87,105
Aug 22, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #2,653 of 87,105
Started breaking in the Geek. Thought I would try my Prudence wire on it, so breaking in both. They actually sound decent.

Aug 22, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #2,654 of 87,105
Aug 23, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #2,655 of 87,105

Users who are viewing this thread

Back