The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 1, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #2,146 of 87,614
Is Rose miracle need a lot of juice to control that DD bass?

Aug 1, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #2,147 of 87,614
Is Rose miracle need a lot of juice to control that DD bass?
I don't think it's about power, even though sensitivity takes about 7 points increase in volume on BTR5, but when I use BT mode - bass is weird, cannot quite figure out but just not sounding natural. USB mode is much better though for bass. Treble is not forgiving to BT compression as well, but that is technically not an IEM fault. Also, dynamics of the bass is very average, on the Thie Audio L5 level, not better. Mids and highs are great, but bass is rather disappointing. At the time I was happy with it but Chi-fi today progressed so far - different price-range standards. UM 3DT I would recommend before this one for DD mids. At least that one is not shy on bass...

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #2,148 of 87,614

Classic track and an epic and unique piece of trailblazing work making use of the at-the-time new Roland TR808. Great for IEMs with a mid-bass focus.

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #2,150 of 87,614
You really ought to try a BL-03. It’s like a chifi rite of passage at this point 😂

I think I will order a Blon 03 just to do a sub $50 superstar shootout with the Geek and the Carbo Mezzo.

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #2,153 of 87,614

Classic track and an epic and unique piece of trailblazing work making use of the at-the-time new Roland TR808. Great for IEMs with a mid-bass focus.

Ohh.. wow this clip is like a mushroom trip

What are the differences between the Baldr and the Imperial?
Mostly cosmetic differences I think, but SQ-wise I don't know
If you search on the internet there's the Nanna and Imperial Nanna comparison, they seem to differ subtly in sound, but not tuning

I think I will order a Blon 03 just to do a sub $50 superstar shootout with the Geek and the Carbo Mezzo.
GK10 and Mezzo comparison would be interesting..

Aug 2, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #2,154 of 87,614

When you think you've heard (and seen) it all, you drop this bombshell. I like it.

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #2,157 of 87,614
Interested reading comments on MEST MKII here and indeed elsewhere... Facebook, YouTube etc. I bought very quickly on release, got caught up in the excitement and had already been tempted by the OG, almost pulled the trigger only a week before but resisted due to reports of fit issues. I was blown away when mine arrived, most test music being electronic and typically well produced - cracks appeared as I delved deeper with rock, indie and various other non-electronic genres, instrument in many cases felt wrong in terms of positioning - often impressive, but still wrong! I do love them mostly for ambient, especially more detailed varieties, field recordings etc... of which I listen to a lot - but generally they perform very well for electronic music in my experience and worth a place in the collection in that regard. A big improvement lately was also a move to Spiral Dot++, they are fantastic tips.

IE900 have since become my top IEM as an all-rounder but I'll still reach for others when it comes to ambient, MEST as noted but also IER-M9 and SA6, the latter being a go-to for listening in bed. But IE900 definitely my benchmark for pure joy and emotional connection to the music.

I'm looking forward to my incoming Isa, they should be with me by Wednesday or Thursday. I'm very excited to try vocals on these given the glowing reviews... this will likely be my first album to test.

20210802_095321.jpg

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #2,158 of 87,614
Interested reading comments on MEST MKII here and indeed elsewhere... Facebook, YouTube etc. I bought very quickly on release, got caught up in the excitement and had already been tempted by the OG, almost pulled the trigger only a week before but resisted due to reports of fit issues. I was blown away when mine arrived, most test music being electronic and typically well produced - cracks appeared as I delved deeper with rock, indie and various other non-electronic genres, instrument in many cases felt wrong in terms of positioning - often impressive, but still wrong! I do love them mostly for ambient, especially more detailed varieties, field recordings etc... of which I listen to a lot - but generally they perform very well for electronic music in my experience and worth a place in the collection in that regard. A big improvement lately was also a move to Spiral Dot++, they are fantastic tips.

IE900 have since become my top IEM as an all-rounder but I'll still reach for others when it comes to ambient, MEST as noted but also IER-M9 and SA6, the latter being a go-to for listening in bed. But IE900 definitely my benchmark for pure joy and emotional connection to the music.

I'm looking forward to my incoming Isa, they should be with me by Wednesday or Thursday. I'm very excited to try vocals on these given the glowing reviews... this will likely be my first album to test.

20210802_095321.jpg

Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Isa and glad you're having such a good time with the IE900, I've heard great things!

Isa is a wonderful single DD, no other way to put it.

Aug 2, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #2,159 of 87,614
Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Isa and glad you're having such a good time with the IE900, I've heard great things!

Isa is a wonderful single DD, no other way to put it.

Yes hard to part with IE900 for any long duration, I'm inevitably lured back after a short break!

I've been curious about Isa for a while and the more I read, the harder it became to resist. Strikes me it could easily have been an $999 IEM based on their other price points - maybe as part of building brand awareness in parts of the world they don't have much exposure at present?

Currently listening on MEST, a mystery artist who clearly draws inspiration from Boards of Canada. The first album was randomly sent to a number of people on CD, I think about 100 in total, myself included - a great way to stir up conversation in electronic music circles!

Aug 2, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #2,160 of 87,614
Actually on the subject of price positioning, it reminds me of the whole 'good, better, best' strategy: once exposed to best, its hard to buy 'good' - brands position 'better' as the target... a great example of this for me many moons ago (2001 or so) while working in electrical retail in an upmarket department store - Philips had just launched the first plasma TV, 42" and a beautiful cool green metallic finish - all for a whopping £14k at the time, probably well over $25k in todays money - sold one or two per month but what was interesting to observe and witness 'good, better, best' in action when people would see this TV, be absolutely blown away by it but have no intention or budget to spend that amount, maybe having planned to spend £500 or so on a 25" CRT TV (tube TV, pre flat screen for those old enough to remember 😀)... that was a good TV but then roll in a 32" wide-screen, same cool green finish but not flat - beautiful set and this is what sold the most, dragging many from their original budget but having seen the incredible plasma TV, couldn't walk away with just 'good'!

Maybe this is the Oriolus strategy and we'll see a focus around $2k that becomes the 'better'... can certainly see how the volume sales could sit in that price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back