rockteman9us
Mar 22, 2002 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11
rocketman9us purchased a Sony D-25S cd player from me as part of a package with a Grado 225. When I packed the cd player in the box, it was working condition with no flaws that I observed. The item was packed carefully with non-static styrofoam peanuts. rocketman9us claims that the item was poorly packed, which is not true.

The D-25S is known to have a high failure rate, hence the reason why Silicon Salvage merely ships out a replacement player rather than having the bad one sent back to them. I gave no guarantee that the unit would work, and rocketman9us did not purchase insurance on the item. rocketman9us claims that the unit arrived at his home DOA.

I sold him the player for 10 with free shipping. His loss on this deal was minor, and yet he has taken to harrassing me and calling me a thief and a liar on boards completely unrelated to buyer/seller relations. I protected myself in this transaction by insisting that payment arrive before I shipped the product. rocketman9us should have taken the basic precaution of purchasing insurance for protection against any damage that happened during shipping. He didn't, and now he is harrassing me to recover money for damage that I did not cause.

Please be mindful of this incident when making the decision to do business with rocketman9us.

Mar 24, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 11

MirandaX

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not trying to say whether Cajunchrist is being deceitful or not (I have no way of knowing), but his position on this transaction is wrong. Consumer law in most US states places the onus on the shipper to ensure that goods arrive in proper/merchantable condition. Otherwise, people could just sell garbage and claim it got damaged in transit.

It was also Cajunchrist's responsibility to take out shipping insurance, not the buyer's responsibility, for the same reason.

In this case, Cajunchrist seems to have known in advance that D-25s are very fragile and that there was a reasonable chance that the D-25 would be damaged in transit, yet he didn't take out insurance or warn the buyer about this. That stinks!

Cajunchrist also isn't being entirely forthright about how he sold the CDP. He claims he sold it for 10$ plus free shipping, but that's not really the whole story. What he really sold was a package deal of a Grado 225 and the D-25 for $120 total.

Mar 24, 2002 at 6:44 AM Post #3 of 11
The wording of my ad clearly indicates that the Sony D-25S was being sold independent of the Grado 225. One seperate charge of 110 for the Grados and one seperate charge of 10 for the Sony. The Sony D25-S did not have to be purchased to get the Grado 225's, it was being sold at a reduced cost to encourage purchase of the Grados.

Mar 24, 2002 at 7:00 AM Post #4 of 11

MirandaX

100+ Head-Fier
Your ad said that you would throw in a D-25 *if* someone bought the Grados. Your offer of the D-25 was tied to the sale of the Grados.

Just in case you decide to edit your ad posting, here's what you posted originally:

"I want to move these FAST. Anyone who agrees to buy these in the next 24 hours from the time of this post gets a Sony D-25s for only 10 dollars more."

People can make up their own minds about how honest you're being.

Mar 24, 2002 at 7:06 AM Post #5 of 11
"In this case, Cajunchrist seems to have known in advance that D-25s are very fragile and that there was a reasonable chance that the D-25 would be damaged in transit, yet he didn't take out insurance or warn the buyer about this. That stinks!"

rocketman9us used the same boards I did to find out about the D-25S, and had access to the same information that I did on this board about the player. I freely admit that nothing in my ad indicated the known fragility of this NOS item. That's part of the reason I was willing to sell the item at such a steeply reduced cost, because shipping it for a second time might result in the player not functioning properly. rocketman9us could have queried me about my decision to offer such an item at such a reduced cost, but he didn't.

I have sold another of these D-25S's to another board member, who received it in ideal condition and has had no complaints. Caveat emptor.

rocketman9us also queried me if he was going to get the adapter, the carrying case and the battery for the same 10 dollar charge. Effectively, he was expecting to get 100 dollars worth of merchandise for only 10 dollars.

I paypal'ed rocketman9us 10 dollars to get him off my back, but now this guy, whoever he is, has taken up the mantle of harrassing me about this.

When is it going to end? Do you want my blood? Do you want me to make a confession that I'm an evil guy, Hitler's henchman, that trolls these boards looking for innocent junior members to **** over?

What's going to be enough? Do me the favor and just sue me, and we'll deal with it in court.

Mar 24, 2002 at 7:25 AM Post #6 of 11

MirandaX

100+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally posted by cajunchrist
I paypal'ed rocketman9us 10 dollars to get him off my back

That definitely sounds like a reasonable way to deal with this.

Quote:

but now this guy, whoever he is, has taken up the mantle of harrassing me about this.

Since you've paid him back the $10, then he should lay off. You've fixed your end of the bargain.

Mar 24, 2002 at 7:43 AM Post #7 of 11

Audio-Me

Headphoneus Supremus
I find it quite hilarious that he would make a hissy fit about ten bucks. **** happens, get over it.

I sold my D-25S to pepsione1, he PMed me right after I posted it for sale. He sent me the money order. I shipped it, but it was to Canada, so it cost extra $5. No worry, still shipped it the same day I got the payment. Turns out they made him pay customs fee. He didn't bitch about it. Well prior to getting the payment, I asked him to add $5 to the original price to cover shipping cost, but he had already sent the payment. So he would send another money order, but it costs him $5 just to get a international money order. After finding this out, I told him not to worry about it, I felt bad he had to pay a lot just to get a MO and the damn customs fee. He didn't ask for insured shipment, and I didn't remind him about it. I did double box it though. I hope he wasn't upset...

Mar 25, 2002 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 11

rocketman9us

New Head-Fier
OK

I hate to give negative feedback and this may be long but...

I bought a pair of Grado 225's and a Sony d25s from this guy. I was interested in both and it seemed like a great deal when I saw these messages in the post of For Sale ads:

2/4

Grado 225 package deal
Comes in original box with 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor for connection to your portable. I have removed the SR225 buttons from the screen (looked cheesy). Cosmetically in great condition.

The headphones come with bowl pads, and an additional set of pads that I cut in to the donut style, so you can swap them out if you want more/less brightness.

$110 gets these shipped free via USPS anywhere in the lower 48. Shipping charges will be added at cost for anywhere else and any other method of shipping.

Last edited by cajunchrist on 02-16-2002 at 04:12 AM

(Not sure that was the exact ad since it was written on 2/4 and edited on 2/16)

On 2/16 the following was added:

I want to move these FAST. Anyone who agrees to buy these in the next 24 hours from the time of this post gets a Sony D-25s for only 10 dollars more.

Package deal...Grado 225 and Sony D-25s in perfect working order for 120 shipped.

I figured that since he had no takers – apparently some sales had fallen through (gee what a surprise) that the price of the Grado’s = $100? And the d25s = $40? For $110 was a great buy. I probably wouldn't have bought the 225's alone, since I could get approx as good a deal on ebay, but w/the Sony - it seemed compelling.

Unfortunately, the price was too good to be true. The items were packaged poorly i.e., headphones and cd player (both small) were put into a large box w/some peanuts - not enough to fill the empty space for a box that would fit a receiver.

The buttons Cajun removed from the sides of the headphones were not included - thus I cannot prove to anyone that I might want to sell the phones to in the future that these are indeed 225's and not 125's - and one end cap is missing from the earpiece stem.

Most importantly of all - the Sony arrived DOA. Certainly not the "perfect working order" as he said.

So I try to contact him. Once, again and so on and so on. I had to send many messages (approx. a dozen) to three different email addresses including my phone # w/no reply - his PM is turned off on the forum. I asked the forum moderator for help and I even went to try to find a phone # - (Had to talk to a woman whose husband had died. Apparently he was a relative or someone w/same name at same return address??? - too many Jeff G... in LA to call them all). All w/no luck in getting a response.

I finally had to track down other posts by Cajun and post there in hopes that he would reply. All of the posts are cordial and simply say – Sony arrived DOA, please contact me to resolve – that’s all. (Mind you, at this point I'm still thinking that he just hadn't received my emails, especially since he is posting about Amsterdam - I figure he can't get email while traveling.) WRONG He finally sends me a curt email and posts that I am a clown, that he gave no warranty and that he has gotten all of the emails and is keeping them (I guess as evidence of some sort). He further states that there was no warranty and that I am basically SOL.

Well, I have bought many things online, my profile/feedback on ebay - rocketman9us - has approx. 20 feedback postings, all praise/positive, and that's only people who wanted to post. (I don't like asking for positive feedback - I figure if you had a good enough experience, you would post on your own) I also purchased from Lextek here - a great experience.

NEVER has anyone just blown me off. I find it rude and immature not to just respond and say that you disagree, that you want to work it out, whatever...

(BTW I don't think the Sony worked - otherwise Cajun would have responded, tried to make things right, or be at lease somewhat apologetic, surprised, etc. I frankly think that this was an easy way to pay for the shipping on the 225's by throwing away a non-working Sony d25s.)

Cajun called my posting in other forums "harassment". Unfortunately, I had to hijack posts and post in other forums just to get any reply - if he hadn't been embarrassed by his behavior and lashed out by calling me a clown who is apparently trying to stalk him for $10, I would likely still be sending him private emails to no avail. (It's interesting that he just assigned a value of $10 to the Sony instead of saying that it's worth $40-45 and that the Grado's make up the rest of the value.)

Last week (this is a MONTH later) he sends me $10 via paypal. STILL no email reply. He didn't even tell me that he was sending me the $'s or if I wanted $10 back.

Anyway, I wasn’t even going to post about this Mickey Mouse ordeal, except that another member, who I don't know sent me a PM that asked me to post here so that others would not get burned.

I am really posting to say that I would avoid this guy as a seller. As a buyer - I don't know. His money is just as green as anyone else’s.

I was really disappointed in this transaction and how it changed my expectations in buying from this forum. I know that this is an isolated incident - but I was really expecting more from a place like this. I really think that the forum is great and everyone seems so cordial and helpful to one another.

I guess I just really expected more, especially from a guy who has so many postings here, and since my experiences w/buying from complete strangers on eBay and elsewhere have been overwhelmingly good experiences. Live and learn.

(In retrospect, I probably would have been just as happy to send all of the items back or w/a sincere apology. I guess the $10 is better than a hole in the head, and how much time does someone have to spend on something like this - it's unpleasant and negative.)

(I'll also copy this post into a reply about me that Cajun posted. Seems he felt like attacking by posting a negative feedback segment on me. I really think that anyone who wants to see how I behave in a transaction can view the eBay profile to gain some perspective.)

Thanks for reading this long novella and Happy Listening.

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2002 at 1:33 PM Post #9 of 11

Audio-Me

Headphoneus Supremus
Chill. It's only ten bucks, besides, I'm sure cajun feels sorry that it arrived non-functionally. I doubt it's his fault (but can't really say, since we have no way of seeing how it was packaged).

Did you use the correct power sources? Gimp Sony leadacid battery or 9V 600mA AC-DC adapter with negative "M" sized plug?

Dec 5, 2002 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 11

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
Bought KSC35s from me.
Paid promptly, smooth transaction.

No complaints,

Fred

Dec 18, 2002 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 11

kajohndet

100+ Head-Fier
Bought my ER-6. Very prompt payment. Excellent communication. He's one fabulous headfier. Highly recommended without reservation!!!

Thanks again
John

Users who are viewing this thread