Aug 5, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #16 of 84
Frampton FTW

Aug 5, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #18 of 84
1 -- Quadrophenia
1a -- London Calling
1b --Exile on Main St.
2 -- Blonde on Blonde

Wow, what a tough choice to make.

I don't understand the choice of The Wall. There is waaay too much filler on there for my taste. It's not a double album because there were too many good songs to make a single disc, it's just a double for the sake of telling a story, and not a very coherent story at that.
True, Quadrophenia is in the same vein as The Wall, the story isn't cohesive or compelling, but other than the two instrumentals, I think the songs are all solid, if not great. I just can't say the same for The Wall.

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #19 of 84
Love The Wall, love Mellon Collie, also would like to throw in NIN's The Fragile. NIN's best album, and one of the better composed albums I've ever heard.

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #20 of 84
Sandinista by The Clash............................................. .............oh it's 3 disks. Does not qualify.

Aug 5, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #22 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, some good music there. I expected to see "Wheels Of Fire" by Cream. I picked "Exile On Main Street" simply because it is one of the greatest Rock n, Roll albums of all-time. Going strictly by personal taste it's tough for me not to pick "Physical Graffiti," or "The Wall." "Exile On Main Street" is the Stones at their best, absolutely genre-defining...

I'm with 'D': I'm more of a Beatles fan than a Stones fan, but _Exile_ is a country-boogie-blues-gospel juggernaut. It's not authentic Americana. Nevertheless, the fact that it was a visionary recreation by a buncha bourgeois Brits' of their utopian ideals of hardscabble America that subsequently shaped American Americana for the next 37 years should tell you plenty.

Perhaps it's not quite in the echelon being discussed, but I think there should be honorable mention for George Harrison's _All Things Must Pass_.

And perhaps this *is* of the requisite quality for the lower rungs of the top echelon: Husker Du's _Zen Arcade_.

Aug 5, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #23 of 84
Pretty obvious who I voted for, but here is a lyrical a hint.
THE ICE AGE IS COMING
THE SUN IS ZOOMING IN
ENGINES STOP RUNNING
THE WHEAT IS GROWING THIN
A NUCLEAR ERROR
BUT I HAVE NO FEAR
LONDON IS DROWNING &
I
LIVE BY THE RIVER.

Aug 5, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #24 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm with 'D': I'm more of a Beatles fan than a Stones fan, but _Exile_ is a country-boogie-blues-gospel juggernaut. It's not authentic Americana. Nevertheless, the fact that it was a visionary recreation by a buncha bourgeois Brits' of their utopian ideals of hardscabble America that subsequently shaped American Americana for the next 37 years should tell you plenty.

Perhaps it's not quite in the echelon being discussed, but I think there should be honorable mention for George Harrison's _All Things Must Pass_.

And perhaps this *is* of the requisite quality for the lower rungs of the top echelon: Husker Du's _Zen Arcade_.

I would definitely include Harrison's All Things Must Pass, but believe it or not it was a 2.5 LP set.....3 records, where one side was blank. Husker Du's Zen Arcade is cool I guess, never really got them, but I'll be happy to put it in my Honorable Mentions list

Aug 5, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #25 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sandinista by The Clash............................................. .............oh it's 3 disks. Does not qualify.

Yep its over qualified!

Aug 5, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #27 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laokid18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep its over qualified!

Too much filler on Sandinista! Does anyone like Lose This Skin?
It would have made a killer double, though:

The Magnificent Seven
Hitsville U.K.
SomebodyGot Murdered
Lightning Strikes (Not Once But Twice)
Corner Soul
Let's Go Crazy
If Music Could Talk
Something About England

Police on My Back
The Call Up
Charlie Don't Surf
Up in Heaven (Not Only Here)
The Leader
The Street Parade
Washington Bullets
The Sound of Sinners

Aug 5, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #28 of 84
Hard choice between the White album and Quadrophenia, but I voted for Quadrophenia. I seem to vote for it in all your threads.
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back