Rockna Wavedream DAC
Jul 28, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #166 of 330
that's interesting man. I find the wavedream super smooth with no hint of glare or edginess at all, whereas with the May for some albums with hot treble I need to dial back the volume a bit; I can remedy this on the May with some appropriate filters and dsd upsampling via hqp, but don't need to do it with the Wavedream.

am using all tellurium Q interconnects, and am feeding the wavedream from a phoenix usb, into a tube pre and power amp. the low end and with the abyss TC is intensssssse...
Agree The holo may is defintley kinda hot on certain tracks especially in NOS. Upsampling gets rid of it.

Jul 28, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #168 of 330
What are your tube preamp and power amp? I feel especially the tube preamp could smooth out the edginess that only I feel in the whole World lol

I'm using Primaluna Evo 400 pre and kinki M7 power amp. but I get that edginess with the May using these components too.

did u reduce the volume out of the wavedream dac? I'm running this unit at -8dB.

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #169 of 330
Just like to add some documentation to prove everything I owned and said to prove I'm not a crazy person who don't know what I'm talking about 😂.

Picture one: tracking of my KTE May directly from Holo in HK

Picture two: where I borrowed the word edgy that EVERYONE here disagree ( I never ever said Wavedream is Digital nor digital glare just to clarify)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-28-23-04-52-24_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-28-23-04-52-24_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220728_230208.jpg
    IMG_20220728_230208.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #170 of 330
@hifixman I don't think anyone is doubting you own/owned those dacs. I'm still curious what volume you had the wavedream outputting to the amp/pre.

52249707450_424041f966_k.jpg

I have it set up such that I just need to change inputs on the pre and swap the usb cable between dacs.

(to me) the May has more space/air and slightly wider staging. May bass is tighter, with less bloom. Mids comparatively less lush. Some sharpness/roughness on the highs and vocals/songs where the singer has some raspiness or a lot of "ess" leading notes.

Wavedream bass has more of everything, and with some mid bass bleed/bloom. feels like a 2 to 3dB low shelf gain. the rumble is so good with the TC. Mids and low vocals seem thicker. Top end, as before, is super smooth with zero roughness. could do with a bit more spaciousness and perhaps better imaging (doesn't seem as pinpoint as the May).

Wavelight seems to come in between the May and WD. smooth-ish highs, a bit more forward than the WD, but less low end.

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #171 of 330
@hifixman not doubting your credentials mate. This is a very subjective hobby so don't be dejected just because seemingly no one agree with your observation. It's a highly dynamic dac which can borderline on intense for some people so while I don't share your sentiment I can still understand where you're coming from.

@Roasty that's a great stack you have there. I believe the SE output 10VPP which roughly equates to 3.5Vrms so I'll typically have it at around -5db to match most dacs SE out at 2Vrms and sometimes even up to -15db depending on amp. Don't think I've noted any discernable loss in quality due to attenuation.

Aug 4, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #172 of 330
Respecfully disagree, as also a previously owner of Holo May KTE, I find it is the opposite as way smoother and laid back than Wavedream. Even the local dealer agreed with me it could be too analytical with lacking of depth and heights for macro details. But don't get me wrong, I do think Wavedream has the best microdetails, resolution, price to performance ratio, as well as the stage width.

PS. In My definition, digital sounding, digital glare are same, but edgy means a bit hot on the highs, I actually borrowed the word edgy from another Wavedream SE and NET owner, who strongly advise using no silver cables with Wavedream for the reason of edginess, which is absolutely spot on and true in my personal option.

As everyone's options on everything are a bit distinctive.
may be it will be useful for you guys...
I also said WD has some kind edgy tonal balance (highs were little bit over of my hear sensetivity) and every filter from linear to hybrid made sound thinner and brighter but... try change the phase in the socket - I was more than surprised) No more sharp edges, better base, meaty and darker sound. Absolutely in my personal taste

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #173 of 330
may be it will be useful for you guys...
I also said WD has some kind edgy tonal balance (highs were little bit over of my hear sensetivity) and every filter from linear to hybrid made sound thinner and brighter but... try change the phase in the socket - I was more than surprised) No more sharp edges, better base, meaty and darker sound. Absolutely in my personal taste
Thank you! Do you mean the fuse in the socket?

The dealer told me wavelight would be wayyy smoother which sounds very alluring to me. But I'm also told the details will be less, like quit a bit while the depth and height are almost the same as Wavedream

Aug 4, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #175 of 330
Aug 5, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #177 of 330
Does anyone know the power consumption of the Wavedream Dac? Looked all over, nothing is listed.
+1

Any ideas? Trying to figure out if I'm going to stress a powerplant 3 with the Wavedream in my chain

Aug 5, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #178 of 330
+1

Any ideas? Trying to figure out if I'm going to stress a powerplant 3 with the Wavedream in my chain

Powerplant should be more than enough to handle most any Head-Fi system. I believe it can even handle a smaller sized two-channel system. But you should be fine. Even the most robust Head-Fi systems don't demand major current output.

Aug 5, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #179 of 330
+1

Nah powerplant 3 can easily sustain the Wavedream + Enleum. I don't know exact consumption of the Wavedream, but the powerplant can continuously sustain 300W as regenerator and 900W as Filter.

As reference I use my T+A MP2000R + T+A PA2000R + Octave V16 tube amp at the same time, in regenerator mode without any issues

Aug 5, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #180 of 330
Powerplant should be more than enough to handle most any Head-Fi system. I believe it can even handle a smaller sized two-channel system. But you should be fine. Even the most robust Head-Fi systems don't demand major current output.

Nah powerplant 3 can easily sustain the Wavedream + Enleum. I don't know exact consumption of the Wavedream, but the powerplant can continuously sustain 300W as regenerator and 900W as Filter.

As reference I use my T+A MP2000R + T+A PA2000R + Octave V16 tube amp at the same time, in regenerator mode without any issues

Thank you both!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back