RockJaw Alfa Genus - Reviews, Impressions Thread
Jul 2, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #136 of 179
I can only compare with the CVX 400 ii's which made my ear vibrate a little due to the low bass it was able to hit. I get no where near to that with these. It's like, I can hear the kick drum, but can't hear the thump of it. so it gets completely lost in the mix. I'm listening to songs I know VERY well, and don't get that "wow" feeling.

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #137 of 179
Think that you may need to change your tips. Like Ultrainferno posted "Mine have A LOT of bass" Have to concur with that comment. They should not need much "burn in". IMO they have a truck load of bass. BTW... what is your source? Cheers.

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #138 of 179
Currently using my preferred CX 400 ii tips. I've tried all sizes for the AG's. I've tried on my phone and on laptop. Direct comparison using flac's and 320kbs mp3's. It's as if there's a sharp drop off at I'm guessing below about 150 - 200Hz removing the thud of the kick drum that should be heard. But the sibilence is overpowering and I can't listen for longer than 10-15 mins. That's why I want to believe they're fakes. But clearly they aren't.

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #139 of 179
Hi Aannoyedbuyer, Think the best thing to do is return them. No point in wasting your time in trying to like them. Lots of other options on the forums. Maybe look up www.rha-audio.com. Great build and positive reviews. Depends on budget. 

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #140 of 179
Yeah, that's what I'll be doing. I did a few tests, there's a very sharp drop off at about 50Hz to non-existance almost where it's really loose, but the drop off starts aroud 80-90Hz and falls significantly hence no thump where there should be. The bass is significantly reduced compared to other ranges. There's also a strong resonance around the 500Hz.

Not really what I'd expect.

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #141 of 179
  So is that it? Post an honest review which isn't to someone's liking and your review is deleted, and you get muted? Is that how Head-fi works? Placing sponsorship over content? Once again, I'm as disappointed with the forum as I am with these.

Actually - it's got little to do with that.  To be honest - first time poster, who posted an absolute rant, which is completely contrary to most other opinions ...... if I was a mod, I'd do exactly the same thing.

1st post to write the truth. Sorry my opinions aren't to your liking. No, wait. I'm not sorry. They're my opinions. Please respect that (just like Voxie can). I joined as I'm disgusted by these and felt others should know as I now don't believe any review which states otherwise. (Maybe my username gives that away?) I could easily have added the review to one of my sites or any other site though.

I noticed you edited you post.  Respect goes both ways.  You have one instance of an issue.  Did you apprach RockJaw before blasting away like that?  Did you give them a chance to make right on their product?  You mention the truth - it might be your version of what heappened to you - but you automatically assume it applies to the rest of us.  That is a big step to make.

I defy anyone used to premium quality to honestly state these fall into that category. I'm not a youngster and I've played the audio field enough and worked in enough studios to know these are nowhere near "reference" and feel sorry for anyone who believes they are. My hearing has always amazed audiologists both in terms of frequency response and amplitude response and has left them shaking their heads in disbelief. For that, I feel blessed as music has always been my little get-away, my sanctuary. So, good music reproduction is important to me.

Check my profile. Based on the Alfa Genus I received (and still have for that matter), given the cost. they still rate for me as being very good IEMs.  I have a lot of experience with different IEMs, different sources etc.  You disagree - fine.  It does not mean that I and others are wrong

My first pair to blow me away were a pair of large Sennheiser open's which were amazing, great low end, clear middle, and sparkly top end. I was amazed again years later after playing the earphones field with the CX 400 ii's. And when they finally died after 4 years, I wanted another pair but didn't want to buy the CX 3.00's.

The CX 400 ii's material quality alone feel premium, the sturdy connector which you could probably hang a body on, the thick quality cable, the thick quality ear bud materials and even though I'm not a fan of it, the volume selector consists of sturdy plastic. Then there's the audio quality of them, totally amazing. I could hear things that I'd never heard before in recordings. Everything sounded so natural, and the music sounded as if it were performing infront / around me. The bass moves you and the top sparkles. Acoustic guitars sounded and resonated like acoustic guitars.  They cost £40 too, so a direct comparison.

These RJ's sound just like music coming out of little coffee polysterene pots in your ears. No stereo location, no clarity, a harsh over-powering sharp high middle which tire your ears.

I am not going to fiddle / play / modify them. I don't expect to. I expected "high quality" / "premium quality" as stated on the website and product description / part of which includes a great sound. These do not come close. Even if they sounded like the dog's dangly bits, the build quality is sufficiently lacking to render them avoidable.

If you think these are great, please do look around at well-known competitors. I promise you, you'll be amazed.

Why has my review been removed? Are you in cohoots with RJ? Have they paid you off? Now That is "hmmm".

Funnily enough - look at the CX400ii reviews on Amazon.  Compare them to the ones of the A-G.  CX400ii, 42 reviews, 57% 4/5 star, 10% 3 star, 33% negative.  A-G 8 reviews, 88% 4/5 star, 12% 3 star.  None negative. 

I honestly think (from your comments) that you may have received a bad pair.  It happens - that is why there is warranty.  But I still cannot fathom the depth of your vitriol.  Why are you throwing your toys out of the cot?

As far as your review being removed - I'll cover my POV below.

Review:

I have a pair of these.

TL;DR; Avoid. AVOID THESE. AVOID ROCK JAW. It's managed by a former bedroom company boy who used to sell tablets and has been boasting that sales jumped when he moved into the audio world. Clearly, there is such a huge markup on these because there's no quality in them. Look elsewhere for your audio needs.

Direct personal attack that has no bearing on anything - and is the main reason I flagged your original post.  It also says to me that you have an axe to grind. And it therefore gives your "review" zero creedance.

These are the lowest quality pair of earphones I have ever owned, and I draw that conclusion from a cheap pair of Creative's I once bought, a fake pair of CX 400 ii's, Sennheiser open backs and yes, even those little headphones you can buy for £2.99.

The build quality is bad, using ONLY the cheapest components. The sonic quality is terrible, no bass, a very muddled overpowering high-mid range which becomes all you hear and did I mention, no bass whatsoever. No, not even a muddled bass response. I would like to hazard a guess that these are fakes, but I bought them directly from the company, so clearly they aren't.

The build quality is adequate for a pair of $40 earphones - which is what they were going for on Amazon recently.  I've measured these - and your complaint of no bass either confirms yoiu got a defective pair, you didn't get a correct seal, or your idea of bass is seriously misaligned with what others regard as good bass.

The separate "tuning filters" are a joke and to be laughed at. Really, such tiny things to be unscrewed and then another pair fitted on the train / bus / gym? I did it twice at a desk only for them to drop out, bounce off the desk onto the floor which, with a hard floor surface then takes on another journey across the floor. They unscrew by themselves, and the thought of having to worry about them eventually dropping out is such a major design flaw that I question if these have actually even been "designed". All three "tuning" filters are ultimately useless. It's just alters the various degrees of how bad they sound, not whether it "tunes" the sound.

No - they aren't.  Again - I've measured the response.  Others use the same design for tuning filters - including RHA.  No-one has any issues with them - except you.

The connector on the jack will break. Easily. I'd say 2 months tops. Mark my words. I haven't seen such a low-quality poorly made connector for years. Like, 10 years. The cable is the cheapest possible cable that I'm sure the Chinese manufacturers offer. It's that greasy crappy plastic that's forever greasy regardless of how many times you wipe it and I'm convinced is not safe for human contact.

I've now had mine for well over a year.  It's stood up to the test of time.  It's still going and working well.  The cable design is actually really good.  It is hard wearing, supple, and not overly microphonic.  Again your complaints seem groundless - and I question your motives.

The ear bud material is very thin - exactly like the fake CX 400's I once owned (bought them from Amazon, complained, Amazon reassured me they were genuine, complained again insisting they send me a genuine pair. 2 days later a genuine pair arrived. Ear-gasms ensued). Again, is this plastic safe to put in your ear? I don't know. I doubt the owner of Rock Jaw cares about that or has even bothered to investigate. Also, Chinese manufacturers live for manufacturing work, so will state what the owner wants them to state, even mis-labelling products.

You're complaining about the tips now?  The tips on mine are fine.  Nothing wrong with the quality.  But most people I know (especially on this site) use the tips they know will work personally for them.  In my case that means Sony Isolation tips or Comply foams.  YMMV.

The quality of the packaging was worse than the fake CX 400 ii's with mis-prints and mis-aligned printer heads. Clearly, the Chinese manufacturers are laughing at the owner of Rock Jaw by offering such low quality.

And to prove that you have an axe to grind and can't be taken seriously - you now rant about the packaging?

Forget all the reviews. These are terrible. For RJ to sell these mean it's an automatic company avoid from now on until the company is closed and opens under a new name.

No - I'll forget about yours.  Lets list what you've done:

1. Made a direct personal attack on the people behind the company
  2. Made a blanket statement to the effect that anyone that reviews these positively can't be trusted
  3. Attacked every part of the A-Js from build through to packaging, even your own inepotness with the filters.
  4. From what we know so far, you have never apprached the Company with your concerns

It all reads as someone with a huge axe to grind - and I personally pay little creedance to your entire rant.

In closing - a far better reviewer than I am (!joker!) rates the Alfa Genus as 8.5/10 on overall value (3.5/5 on build quality, 8.1/10 on sound).  That speaks volumes on the quality of your "review"

Edited - spelling

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #142 of 179
Wow, where to start. I can't really be bothered so I won't address all your points.

I don't need to approach a company before I slate them after paying for and receiving an item, to think otherwise is ludicrous. I paid for the item, therefore I review what I have. I don't need to say, "oh hey, yeah you, these are bad what gives? to the company that produced these. Quality control and all that.

I commented on all aspects of the earphones which include everything from the sonic quality to the tips and the packaging. All low quality. Anyone who wishes to disagree, then so be it. I even saw a "review" from a young lad (~ 16-17) on youtube stating the connector was high quality while holding it to the camera, when a piece of plastic not trimmed off could clearly be seen revealing the poor state of the parts used and the little care employed whilst constructing them.

If you wish to go by 8 reviews on Amazon for a product, then so be it. Note there are ONLY 8 reviews. Anyway, reviews are great publicity. Publicity that can be... bought or artifically created. Personally, I see 23 reviews on the uk site, 17 x 5 rating, 2 x 3 star,  1 x 2 star, and 3 x 1 star. For such a premium high quality earphone, they shouldn't attract 1,2,3 ratings. Right? People will rate 5 for something like fast delivery, or "my grandson likes them" or because they feel good after buying a "premium" pair of earphones and they work etc not really knowing what that really means. This is the average consumer.

I quote one of the 2 rating reviews:
"For a £50 pair of headphones, I thought it was awful. Packaging was extremely cheap, stickers on the edges were peeling off and stuck on inaccurately. The headphones in the box was very tight and compact, the box was too small.
Regarding to the headphones, they felt very light and weak, seemed like they were made out of poor materials.
Performance wise, the silver changeable filter was not bad at all, bass was strong. However vocals were a little masked by the bass. Then I tried the black changeable filter, this really was terrible. Bass was so bad, you may as well take off the rubber. Vocals were very scratchy and uncomfortable to listen to.
This is just my opinion, the company does offer 3 year warranty, so that's good. In comparison, Apple headphones are better to be honest."

I wouldn't know about the latter statement, but I completely agree with it to a tee. Though I would have given 1.5 stars tops.

As for trying to compare the review status to the CX 400 ii's; please don't. There were (and still are) so many fake 400's being sold that it's almost impossible for the average person to know what they have. The first pair I bought from Amazon (Amazon directly) were fakes. There are lots of fakes about because they were damn popular.

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/Joe-Watt-s-brilliant-headphones-business-booming/story-23069070-detail/story.html
£3.6 million turnover by the end of the year. Where are all the hundreds / thousands of Amazon reviews that justify that sort of turnover?

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #143 of 179
Well thought out response Brooko +1000.

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #144 of 179
Hi Guys, Relax! The problem here is that Annoyedbuyer made a slight against the guys in RockJaw.  Not nice, as my dealings with them has been positive.. Hey, the guys in Rockjaw are doing something, lets appreciate it. Don't care if they design and manufacture from a shed in a back garden! If it sounds good its good! Lets keep it civil!!

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #145 of 179

Thanks - another direct attack - also reported

I stand by my assessment of your "review" and your posts.  When you have no reliable defense of your position (ie when the available evidence on display points mainly to the opposite of what you are claiming), and resort to name calling - then IMHO you have no credible position.  So Joker is a sycophant as well?

Why the direct attack on RJ's people?  Why the name calling?

Review just the IEMs without the rest the vitriol - it'll be allowed.  You're entitled to your view - everyone here is.  Then others are entitiled to take note of it, or ignore it.  I know what I'll be doing 
wink.gif

Thanks? You're welcome. If you don't like me because I don't like these earphones, feel free to report me again and again. Oh, and again.

Your passive agressiveness is impressive. I don't like them, but you do. That doesn't bother me. It seems to bother you more. You announced to the community that you reported me. How terribly immature. Grow up and move on.

Voxie and I were having a mature discussion and had moved on from the intial "ZOMG he doesn't like them" until you appeared. Reported!

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #146 of 179
Chill guys, chill. My guess ( though not a professional one ) is that you got a defective pair. To my knowledge RJ has been very sociable in their dealings with their customers; I am sure that they would stand behind their product and might issue you a new pair. If you have an issue, contact them.

-Peace

Jul 3, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #147 of 179
From the first post Annoyedbyer did, I knew nothing good could come out of it. Even just by looking at the nickname, it wasn't that hard to figure out
rolleyes.gif

I, like Joker, Brooko and so many others all reviewed, and liked the AG. I am enclined to think the problem is either with having a bad set (it happens) or with AB, as he clearly hears different things everyone one else has.

I'm sure lots of people reported the post, 1 "report" doesn't get a post deleted. It also means the moderator agreed. Personally I do to. I would have contacted the company first to try to find a solution before making a post with a rather aggressive and attacking tone without having looked for a solution first. We all know now this isn't appreciated on the boards and it has nothing to do with sponsors or anything else. I don't even think they are site sponsors.

But hey, welcome to Head-Fi
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #148 of 179
  I posted a well-thought out response. It's somehow gone missing.

Reviews and impressions are clearly not welcome unless they fall inline with sycophants because it "speaks volumes on the quality of my review"

If you would take the time to read your welcome message, in your Private Messages, as well as the links inside, you would know that posts from new members that contain links are auto-moderated, due to issues with spam. 

What I recommend is this:

You first read the Posting Guidelines. We don't allow personal attacks or rude generalisations about others here.
Second, you PM me about re-naming your account, as I don't imagine anyone would want to stay annoyed for very long, then
You return your IEMs to RockJaw and either get a replacement or I'm sure people will help you out with finding a good pair to suit your listening tastes.

Before that, you might want to try different ear tips, such as either a size larger or foam tips. I have a similar style of IEMs which have tips that are so soft I don't get a proper seal. When you don't get a seal with IEMs, you lose most of the bass.

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #149 of 179
I had similar issues with some headphones from a highly regarded small manufacturer recently - a horrible, nearly ultrasonic sibilance and sudden near absence of bass which appeared after a few hours of use. I sent them back for testing and they wrote right away they'd be sending a replacement. I didn't post any review anywhere. Does it bother me a little, though - definitely. Despite the generous warranty and great customer service, that economic model is a bit strange to me. Fine as it may look there's always a cost somewhere. I just hope it doesn't happen again two or three times, however generous the warranty. I greatly appreciate what those small audio companies are doing, delivering those great products and wish all the success to them - including the people manufacturing for them in China.

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #150 of 179
Dear Annoyed Buyer.
I am very sorry to hear your concerns/ complaints about our company.
To address your comments you made on Head- Fi.
If you had contacted us firstly, we act to resolve quickly (within 24 hours of receiving an email to reach a resolution)
Without you having to post negative comments we could amicably resolve for you.
The personal attack on me, you are correct. We started our business in a bedroom/ kitchen table, and started in the tablet market first but then went into headphones due to the opportunities we could see and the experience all of the team had.
We now have new premises due to the successful growth of the company since being formed over 2 years ago, we also employ locally from our county.
As for the build quality and sound as Brooko will tell you (and many others) we are very passionate about this and will never release a product into the market without many variations of testing.

Best regards,
-
Joe A Watts
CEO
ROCK JAW AUDIO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back