Rockhopper Audio Balanced Beta 22
Jul 7, 2008 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jjhatfield

Frank
Thought I'd share a few pics with everybody.
smily_headphones1.gif

20080616rockhopperaudioyp2.jpg

20080616rockhopperaudioif4.jpg

Been rocking it a few weeks now, and its really exceeded all my expectations for a home headphone amp. Before receiving the Beta 22, I'd been enjoying my Wheatfield HA-2 with my HD650 so much that deep down I was hoping I'd be able to say the HA-2 was enough for me, and that the laws of diminishing returns apply greatly here yadda yadda etc, but upon the very first listen of the Beta 22 I knew that this simply could not be the case.

When powered by the Beta 22, the HD650's soundstage is simply so huge that several times I've had to turn around and make sure my speakers weren't on. With one of my previous amps, a Dynahi, the highs in the HD650 exhibited just the smallest amount of treble etch, not nearly enough to bother the listener, but enough to notice if looked for. Not the case with the Beta. In fact the sound is smooth and lifelike from top to bottom, effortless without letting you know its effortless.

I've also used the amp single-ended with my HF-1, and the results are similarly stunning. I would LOVE to hear this amp with a balanced HP-2 in the privacy of my own home.
evil_smiley.gif

I personally think the cases and front panel that thrice chose are just perfect (for those who don't know, Rockhopper Audio is Head-Fi'er thrice). A dark, austere, balanced look for a serious balanced amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Pictured above are the amp on the top shelf, with power supply on the bottom shelf with signature Rockhopper orange LEDs (there are also orange LEDs in the amp proper which can't be seen in the above pictures). To the left of the power supply is a Brickwall surge protector. The custom headphone cable is an Enigma Audio Oracle.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #4 of 14
Wow that is a slick-looking build! thrice has outdone himself, that casework and styling is amazing, and it looks really professional. 4-channel or 6-channel? The pics are a little too big btw, I have to expand Firefox to fill my entire 1680x1050 screen to see them.
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 14
Nice. Very nice.

That's one of the few amps that interest me these days. Congrats & enjoy Jack.

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 14
Nice amp very evil!

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #10 of 14
Nice....very nice? What's the going price for the Beta22 these days?

Thanks

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #11 of 14
Congrats! Nice build. Population of Bettas growing every day.
Any chance to see what under the hood. Also how many S22 boards PSU have?

Enjoy! This amp like a race car. Fast and furious!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #13 of 14
Beautiful build, very sharp and clean looking.
biggrin.gif

Some day...

Jul 7, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 14
Very nice! I got to hear my first B22 this weekend and it is indeed a terrific amp. Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back