Rockbox Xduoo X3
Jul 4, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #527 of 2,617
Hi,

Just bought the xDuoo X3 recnetly, as having 2 card slots for 256Gb of music seems pretty amazing to me :)

Was kind of let down by the stock firmware though. Sound wise, it was incredible, the quality of sound reproduction was better than any mp3 player I'd had previously, and it's also plenty loud enough, without distorting things...but cutting off the first and last 2 seconds of almost every song??? seems like a huge flaw to me!

Enter rockbox :)

Great to have this alternate firmware which fixes that huge flaw, providing perfect gapless playback between every song. The sound desn't seem quite as crisp or clear somehow as the original firmware, but I'm sure I'll fix this once I play around with the sound settings (but for now I'm just using EQ to precut -6.0dB, leaving everything else alone).

So just wanted to say a huge thanks to Vortex for porting rockbox, and also a big thanks to everyone who has commented on this thread so far. There are some great tips and trick in here to get thgins all running smoothly!

On that note...

If anyone has the error, "Panic - stkov dircache"...I found that going to the settigns and just disabling the disk cache completely cured this error for me.

Previously, I would get this error every time I started the player and began to scroll through the "files" section (unless I waited at least 10 seconds before using the player), but I can now turn it on and straight away navigate through any menu I choose.

I too have noticed the music auto-pausing when using line-out though, so it would be nice to share whatever it was that fixed it :)

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #528 of 2,617
Might you consider sharing what worked for the benefit of others?

Bit of a nuclear option. I uploaded my entire .rockbox folder. He overwrote his folder with mine and put all his music in the root of the card.

I doubt my installation is magical, so possibly (using a card reader) erase the entire .rockbox folder and unzip a fresh one onto the card, then shift all music to the root of that card if it isn't already. Mine is in the root in artist/album/song.flac format.

Glenn, see if that procedure helps at all.

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #529 of 2,617
  Hi,

Just bought the xDuoo X3 recnetly, as having 2 card slots for 256Gb of music seems pretty amazing to me :)

Was kind of let down by the stock firmware though. Sound wise, it was incredible, the quality of sound reproduction was better than any mp3 player I'd had previously, and it's also plenty loud enough, without distorting things...but cutting off the first and last 2 seconds of almost every song??? seems like a huge flaw to me!

Enter rockbox :)

Great to have this alternate firmware which fixes that huge flaw, providing perfect gapless playback between every song. The sound desn't seem quite as crisp or clear somehow as the original firmware, but I'm sure I'll fix this once I play around with the sound settings (but for now I'm just using EQ to precut -6.0dB, leaving everything else alone).

So just wanted to say a huge thanks to Vortex for porting rockbox, and also a big thanks to everyone who has commented on this thread so far. There are some great tips and trick in here to get thgins all running smoothly!

On that note...

If anyone has the error, "Panic - stkov dircache"...I found that going to the settigns and just disabling the disk cache completely cured this error for me.

Previously, I would get this error every time I started the player and began to scroll through the "files" section (unless I waited at least 10 seconds before using the player), but I can now turn it on and straight away navigate through any menu I choose.

I too have noticed the music auto-pausing when using line-out though, so it would be nice to share whatever it was that fixed it :)

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #530 of 2,617
Funnily enough, I hadn't tried the line out until just after I fixed the other error I was getting, and during that I did try totally deleting and unzipping a fresh .rockbox folder.

I'll try it once more when I get home from work though.

My music is already stored in /album artist/album/song.mp3 format.

Is that format ok for roxbox?

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #533 of 2,617
Hey, it worked!

Completely removed the .rockbox folder, unzipped a fresh version to the micro sd, and i can now use the line-out without it auto-pausing after about 10-20 seconds.

Thanks for the solution.

I haven't changed any other settings though, other than to turn off "directory cache" under disk settings.

I had been chopping and changing and constantly adding more files to the memory card previously, so possibly this had corrupted the .rockbox folder somehow?

I also didn't add any custom themes this time, so maybe they also somehow caused a problem?

I'll report back if the issue reoccurs to see if there's something else causing it. I'm basically done putting music on it now until I find something new to add
[as one card has only 500mb left (of 128gb) and the other has around 3gb (of 128gb).....just got to hope that none of my favorite artists between A and L release anything new ever again!!! Hahaha. Only artists between M and Z are allowed now :p]
so that should rule out constantly adding/changing files as a cause if the problem does come back.

Thanks again for everyone's help

P.S. sounds via the lineout and my 5.1 speaker system is great! (nothing special, just a PC system, logitech z5500, which I've had for about 8 years now I think, but music sounds great with this setup to me)

really good quality, I'm really happy with the results now.

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #534 of 2,617
  I'm not sure if this has been discussed already. I just received my X3 from Massdrop the other day. Are you able to install rockbox on it via a Macbook? Thanks.

As the actual installation is done by the unit itself, I see no reason why it wouldn't work?

The only problem you might have is maybe finding programs to set things up correctly, as I'm guessing there are less tools available for macbooks than windows machines? (don't quote me on that though :p)

e.g. the card should be formatted to FAT32 with cluster size of 4096 bytes per sector, and the .rockbox files come as a .zip so you'll need some program to unzip them.

as long as you can do ll that on the macbook and then transfer the files to the card, should be fine I'd guess?

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #535 of 2,617
http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=2265&target=sansaclipplus

If it is any help to Rockbox users. I made this theme with FULL UNICODE support in my old Sansa Clip days. Now you can finally have all your Asian language music showup properly in Rockbox!

This theme also works perfectly on the X3!

Install theme > settings > theme > set Cabbiev2 first!! > set custom theme.

I think the screen resolution is the same as the clip so most Sansa Rockbox themes should work!

Happy Tinkering!

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #536 of 2,617
  Are you able to install rockbox on it via a Macbook? Thanks.

Sure, but you'll need some kind way of making hidden directories visible - the rockbox folder name has a leading period (  .rockbox  ) which by default is invisible in a unix based system like OS X. There's a Terminal command you can use -

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool YES

This shows all the files/folders that begin with a period. You might have to restart Finder for it to take effect. To reverse it, just type in the same thing but replace yes with no.

There are also some alternative file viewer/managers like Pathfinder (which I highly recommend) which you can use. http://www.cocoatech.com/pathfinder/

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #537 of 2,617
I saw that the Xduoo X3 can have Rockbox installed, so instead of having it on the othe X3 thread I decided to start it here.

Here are the instructions to install Rockbox:
http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/manual.htm

Edit: When renaming update-to-rockbox-xx.zip, first make sure that you are able to view hidden files for your OS(Mac: http://ianlunn.co.uk/articles/quickly-showhide-hidden-files-mac-os-x-mavericks/ and PC: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hidden-files#show-hidden-files=windows-7 ) then rename it to update, it would then be update.zip

Here are the Rockbox files that are needed:

http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/download.htm

Themes - how to change or add them:

To change themes select Settings > Theme Settings > Browse Theme Files. Find one you want to try and press Play/Pause.

To add additional themes, go to http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?target=sansaclip , select what you want and download it. Unzip it and add the themename.cfg to the themes subfolder within .rockbox on your mSD card. It should now appear among the additional themes you can select.

Gapless Playback - Just turn off crossfade and the playback will be gapless.

Rockbox'd X3 not recognized by PC - Make sure to have the button lock switch set to the locked\on position, before powering on your X3 and connecting it to your computer.

Second card slot not reading sd card - The second card must be formatted to FAT32 and have the .rockbox folder in the root directory. Windows users can use these programs to format their SD card to FAT32, go here: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

I'll be rockboxing my x3 over the weekend (using windows7 laptop). I figure I'll start with red71rum's opening post! Thanks :)

Jul 8, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #538 of 2,617

I'll be rockboxing my x3 over the weekend (using windows7 laptop). I figure I'll start with red71rum's opening post! Thanks :)

It was really a much easier operation than I thought it would be. One really nice thing I found was Windows (word?) opened the .zip file and all I had to do was copy the files to the
SD card, took about 10 minutes total time to copy and install.

Jul 9, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #539 of 2,617
Read this entire thread.

Install was flawless. Spent 30 minutes configuring all the RockBox settings and now the UI/response/theme is flawless.

I couldn't stand the pitch issue on the stock firmware, I noticed something was off before reading about the issue.

Because of XVortex's amazing work I will be keeping this amazing little player - thank you sir!

Jul 9, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #540 of 2,617
Awesome! Thanks @XVortex! The installation was a breeze. And now my new X3 has gone from "great" to "friggin' awesome"! I already donated to you for the 770 rockbox, but sadly lost my 770 before I could get it installed. Which prompted me to get the X3 (knowing that you had done rockbox for it as well). It turns out that I like the X3 much more due to it's smaller form factor and BUTTONS and dual slots etc, so I'm a pretty happy camper. And the sound quality is very comparable between the two (I might even like the X3's SQ more).

The X3 without rockbox: 15 seconds before ready for playback, and auto-resume start at the beginning of the track (a bit of a drag if you had been in the middle of an hour long trance track or single flac file).

The X3 with rockbox: 4 seconds before ready for playback! And auto-resume starts at the proper spot in the track.

Not to mention all of the other rockbox benefits, including gapless playback, playlist support, EQ, fixing the pitch problem, etc etc

Awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back