RockBox iPod 5G vs. Zen Vision:M
May 11, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #17 of 21
I've been reading a little about the RockBoxed 5G iPods.

My question is how does the new iPods handle the Rockbox EQ? I'd be really interested in a 5G iPod video, only if EQ works well enough, FLAC and crossfeed is a must too.. I wouldn't play movies on it (well maybe just small video clips)..just rockbox it for FLAC and the Rockbox EQ. It would be a nice package if anyone elaborate if it works ok. I really need the 60Gig! I would have gone the X560 but went the X5L 30 gig for the battery life. I like my X5L rockboxed, but 30 gig doesn't cut it.

So far, from the threads I've read (some are older threads though) indicate the 5G iPod with Rockbox causes skipping and playback problems etc when using FLAc, EQ, and crossfeed all together. Is there any truth to this?

May 11, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #18 of 21
The skipping is a function of how much % of the CPU on the iPod is required to do functions. If the total % goes over 100, there will be skipping as the buffer for audio will run out faster than the CPU can replace it (i.e. it can't run the audio in real time). They are working on this and at some point may also make use of the 2nd CPU.

I find that FLAC and EQ can be run at the same time. I don't know if you can add crossfeed to that or not without success. I also don't know if you can run high bitrates of mp3 and the EQ simultaneously. It wasn't working last time with 250~ kbps mp3, but I don't remember if it can be done with 190~ kbps or not, and if it wasn't working then, it may be working now. You may want to test with different codecs.

If this is really important to you, PM me and I may test it out for you if this is a big factor in your decision to buy an iPod or not.

May 12, 2006 at 10:38 AM Post #19 of 21
Thanks heaps for the reply K2Grey. You answered my question very well indeed.

I've pretty much all but re ripped my music collection to FLAC, so therefore I won't be re ripping back again to MP3s. Once you go FLAC, you ain't going back!

I already have two MP3 players (an iHP-140 and X5L). Both run Rockbox with no problems. I can live with each for now (that's total of 70GB between 2 ok players). I just have to organise my FLAC collection between the 2. That's all.

From all reports, it shouldn't be too long until Rockbox is more stable on the 5G iPod. Fingers crossed.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
Warning, in case anyone took the bait:

Please see this post: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...00&postcount=6

mad.gif
wow, thank god the mods are on top of this. IIRC OlivePink initially posted his/her location as Toronto.

...damn that's freaky...it's so rare to see these frauds on Head-Fi because everyone i've met just seems so trusting and sincere. Thanks Admin.

May 12, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #21 of 21
I have a Archos AV500... it's too big though, and I want to pick up something that still has 20-30Gb of memory but is more iPod-sized. Which would be the better choice for me?

I'm not that great with computers, but I do appreciate good sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back