Rockbox for iPOD Video 5th 5.5th mSATA SSD MOD
Mar 22, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #181 of 227
I had a 1TB EVO working in a 5.5 gen.  Swapped in my old 256GB to give it to my girlfriend. Picked up a 5th gen and cannot seem to get it to run stable even with a 850mAh battery.

*edit* Okay, this thing has gone bonkers.  Neither of my 30GB hard drives will restore now, and this is what the specs are reading in diagnostics.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #182 of 227
  I had a 1TB EVO working in a 5.5 gen.  Swapped in my old 256GB to give it to my girlfriend. Picked up a 5th gen and cannot seem to get it to run stable even with a 850mAh battery.

*edit* Okay, this thing has gone bonkers.  Neither of my 30GB hard drives will restore now, and this is what the specs are reading in diagnostics.

I gave up using that card, too many headaches. 

Apr 14, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #186 of 227
I wonder if a Rockbox guru can set me straight on something.  It looks like the Wolfson DAC in most ipods can handle 24 bit and 96 khz. 

There is some question what the limits are for standard IOS on the Wolfson equipped units, or for that matter what the limits are for current machines.

Similarly, my assumption is that Rockbox is working directly with the DAC.

So the questions relate to what are the actual limits under IOS for the wolfson units and current units like the iphone 6 or 6 plus.

And what are the native, non resampled or dithered limits for units like the ipod video 5.5g or ipod mini 2g using Rockbox?

Thanks!

May 24, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #187 of 227
Has anyone tried using a Samsung 850 Evo 1TB? Apparently it uses less power and the 500GB version is compatible with Tarkan's adapter. I'm not sure whether I should go for the 850 or 840 because the price difference is just short of $50.

May 24, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #188 of 227
  Has anyone tried using a Samsung 850 Evo 1TB? Apparently it uses less power and the 500GB version is compatible with Tarkan's adapter. I'm not sure whether I should go for the 850 or 840 because the price difference is just short of $50.

If the power draw is lower, it should work fine.  If you try it, report back with the results please!

Aug 7, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #189 of 227
I got an old 5.5 gen iPod Video working with the iFlash-SATA adapter and MyDigitalSSD BP4e – 512Gb. I installed the guts of the iPod into a new 80g case (and faceplate, and clickwheel…) with a 1900mAh battery.

It was a tight squeeze with the thermal pad included with Tarkans iFlash unit, if the pad was 33% less thick maybe it would have been a better fit.

Itunes formatted the drive without any problems.

Running RockBox as modified in this thread by beyondwind for use with mSata (but with the superior iFlash-SATA), I am happily playing tunes at my desk today.
  I just patched up Rockbox firmware it runs very well on iPOD Video 5th/5.5th mSATA SSD MOD. 

iPod 5th/5.5th, 32mb/64mb ram all modes tested to be working.
JM20330 based mSATA to Zif adapter
Crucial m500 240GB SSD

Maximum aligned 1MB transfer: 40MB/s
Battery run time: 25hrs with my dual battery mod.
>30K songs loaded, 180GB total, database initialized in 7 minutes.

Details about  the mod and Rockbox firmware:

http://beyondwind.duckdns.org/?page_id=58

Last night I got an old 5.5 gen iPod Video working with the iFlash-SATA adapter and MyDigitalSSD BP4e – 512Gb. I installed the guts of the iPod into a new 80g case (and faceplate, and clickwheel…) with a 1900mAh battery.

It was a tight squeeze with the thermal pad included with Tarkans kit, if the pad was 33% less thick maybe it would have been a better fit.

Itunes formatted the drive without any problems. I am happily playing tunes at my desk today.

I will try large file copies tonight, I only copied a few folders over since it was really late....

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #190 of 227
Does anyone know how I can set up my ipod video 60gig with Rockbox? I am using a MacBook Pro but nothing works. I just read that you have to initialize the ipod on a windows machine? Will I be able to load FLAC files from my Mac to it after that? I am confused and not good with this stuff. Would be very appreciative of someone who can offer some help!

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #192 of 227
  Figured I'd write a guide based on my experience and what I've learned in the threads here. This is with a 1TB EVO and a 5.5. There are definitely options that present fewer difficulties, but this is for anyone who is using the same.

Tools needed:
5.5gen 80GB iPod Video
Samsung EVO 1TB mSATA
mSATA to ZIF adapter
mSATA to SATA adapter
Spudger
USB+Firewire Y-cable
iPod Firewire Adapter
A bit of stiff wire or similar to dislodge the battery latch
ice packs

Software needed:
iTunes
Rockbox
beyondwind's mSATA patch for Rockbox

1. Fully charge your iPod
2. Insert mSATA drive into mSATA to ZIF adapter
3. Use spudger to open iPod
4. Use a bit of wire to dislodge the battery connector. Be careful not to break it or you'll have to buy a new logic board!
5. Use spudger to lift the securing latch connecting the ZIF cable to the hard drive.
6. Remove the hard drive.
7. Connect the ZIF cable to the mSATA to ZIF adapter
8. Secure the latch.
9. Reinsert the battery cable and push the securing latch down with the spudger.
10. Close up the iPod
11. Connect the USB/Firewire y-cable to your iPod
12. Plug the Firewire end into the Firewire charger (with the charger plugged into an outlet).
13. Plug the USB end into your PC.
14. Run the iPod restore process in iTunes. Do not do anything until the iPod resets and iTunes displays 'Welcome to your new iPod'. This can take a while.
15. Close out iTunes.
16. Place an ice pack underneath the iPod.
17. Begin copying your music in 100GB sets with 15 minute waits in between. Replace the ice pack as necessary to keep the iPod cool.
18. Run the Rockbox utility and install the Rockbox firmware. DO NOT RESET THE IPOD!
19. Copy the .rockbox folder from beyondwind's mSATA patch over the existing folder on your iPod.
20. Safely eject the iPod and wait for it to reboot into Rockbox.
21. If you get the 'Dir buffer is full' error when you go into your music directory in Rockbox, increase the 'Max Entries in File Browser' setting under 'General Settings'. This requires a reboot to take effect.
22. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND disabling inactivity shutoff in Rockbox altogether and just making sure you charge frequently. Not doing this resulted in the iPod booting to 'Connect your iPod to iTunes to Restore...' after a few shutdowns.

The mSATA to SATA adapter is for when you inevitably screw up or let the battery drain too far and you end up with the 'sad face' on your iPod telling you to contact Apple support. When that happens,

1. Plug the mSATA drive into the adapter.
2. Connect the adapter to your motherboard.
3. Boot up a Linux live disc. (I use Mint)
4. Open terminal
5. Run 'sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1024K count=1024' replacing sdX with the actual drive ID in Linux.

This will clear the MBR and allow the iPod to see the drive in disk mode again.

Thank you SO much for this guide!
I have yet to try it but it seems like you were having the same problems that I'm facing now (let the battery drain, received nothing but sad faces).

I have a couple of questions:
- the usb + firewire cable is to prevent the battery drainage while resetting the ipod, right?
- if I screwed up the SSD already, that whole Linux part is just to format it to FAT32, right? can that be done in windows or the Linux live disc is absolutely necessary?

again, thank you so much for the guide and also to everyone else on this thread :)

EDIT: already figured out the answers. I did everything listed in this walkthrough and I still get the sad face, and the iPod is not recognized by my PC (therefore, can't do the iTunes restore process). I tried formatting the SSD using USB, deleting de MBR through windows, and also through Linux with the command that Sea Moneky wrote, and nothing. Any ideas? I have a 5.5gen 30gb iPod and a 256GB SSD. 

EDIT2: I GOT IT! I feel so stupid...I was connecting the SSD the wrong way all this time (upside down). In case anybody is having this problem, the SSD must be connected with the screws facing the back of the iPod (not the screen), like this:
http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/e4/500x1000px-LL-e495d3e2_photo.jpeg
Sorry for the desperate private messages I sent to some of you. And thanks again for the guidance!

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #194 of 227
Brilliant: thanks for keeping this flame burning. Much appreciated as I am still struggling for stability. What's the basic trick to overcome the ATA errors the standard build gives on mSATA drives; build it onto one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back