Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with Mango (Stock Firmware)
Apr 9, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #781 of 1,316
@napka : Is it true that your RB build has got the same volume step size in dB as the official iBasso FW?
How do I exactly install your RB build? You said I would have to patch the official FW with the boot loader where exactly do I find that boot loader and how do I patch the FW with it? I searched on the forums but didn't find a solution, maybe I used the wrong keywords.

It would be nice if someone could provide me some help as I only have experience with installig RB to the Sansa Clip Zip/Clip + by using RockBoxUtility and the only other experience I have with swapping/modifying FWs is applying a JailBreak to an iPhone. As you see, all of those mods I've done so far are automated and I have no experience by doing them manually.

Just wondering: is there any other RB build offering the exact same volume step size as the OFW?

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #782 of 1,316
  @napka : Is it true that your RB build has got the same volume step size in dB as the official iBasso FW?
How do I exactly install your RB build? You said I would have to patch the official FW with the boot loader where exactly do I find that boot loader and how do I patch the FW with it? I searched on the forums but didn't find a solution, maybe I used the wrong keywords.

It would be nice if someone could provide me some help as I only have experience with installig RB to the Sansa Clip Zip/Clip + by using RockBoxUtility and the only other experience I have with swapping/modifying FWs is applying a JailBreak to an iPhone. As you see, all of those mods I've done so far are automated and I have no experience by doing them manually.

Just wondering: is there any other RB build offering the exact same volume step size as the OFW?

I'm not sure about volume step, but it uses the same digital DAC volume control as original fw. It's smooth enough so I had no problems with listening for LOTS of earphones including ultra sensitive ones like UE18. It's not like when you have 16 volume steps or something like that.

1. Unzip and copy rockbox to inner memory.
2. Install patched firmware as if you update official firmware.
3. Switch Mango and Rockbox by turning on hold switch on power up.

You can get patched firmware here.

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #783 of 1,316
@napka: thank you, I am currently downloading both the RB and the FW folders from your website and some additional themes. I am reporting soon if everything has worked and if it has got the same step size with the 255 adjustment steps.

Which RB implementations also have got the 255 volume steps the OFW offers?

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #784 of 1,316
@HiFiChris, Rockbox ports are very similar. Headwhacker did most job to make RB work at DX90. DX50 guys ported most of his changes to official rockbox repository and I'm fixing bugs. So it's a kind of evolution, not different implementations.

I've just checked: volume up/down presses adjust volume by 1 from 0 to 255.

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #785 of 1,316
each volume step in the OFW is 0.5 dB. Rockbox has 1dB steps, at least on my last build. If napka has matched the OFW then it should be 0.5dB steps as well.

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #786 of 1,316
  each volume step in the OFW is 0.5 dB. Rockbox has 1dB steps, at least on my last build. If napka has matched the OFW then it should be 0.5dB steps as well.

I was watching /sys/class/codec/es9018_volume contents and pressed volume buttons.

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #789 of 1,316
Comment from the official rockbox sources(thanks, ArgelErx)
/* See codec-dx90.h. -2550 to 0 -> 0 to 255 */
int volume_adjusted = ((volume + 2550) / 10);

So it should be 255 for the official build. This would be wrong then.... for every displayed dB, the volume changes only 0.5 dB (or am I wrong?). Well, if everyone prefers it that way... I cant find a real datasheet for the DAC chip explaining all the I2C commands :frowning2:

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #790 of 1,316
Found the datasheet:
Volume Control 
Each output channel has its own attenuation circuit. The attenuation for each channel is controlled independently. Each channel can be attenuated from 0dB to –127dB in 0.5dB steps. 

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #791 of 1,316
Hi. This is my first post.Hope I'm doing it right. I'm using the Rockbox, along with the DX90 firmware V2.1.5 with Lurkers. My question is this: As iBasso releases new firmware updates, will I be able to use them or will it somehow affect my Rockbox? I keep hoping that they will release something that will help improve battery life, if that's even possible.  I'd appreciate any feedback you could give me.  Thanks!

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #792 of 1,316
  Hi. This is my first post.Hope I'm doing it right. I'm using the Rockbox, along with the DX90 firmware V2.1.5 with Lurkers. My question is this: As iBasso releases new firmware updates, will I be able to use them or will it somehow affect my Rockbox? I keep hoping that they will release something that will help improve battery life, if that's even possible.  I'd appreciate any feedback you could give me.  Thanks!

Welcome to the forums :)

I am also using the dual 2.1.5L/RockBox and am so happy with it (thanks again to all who helped make it possible)

If you want to use RB and Stock/Lurker in the same configuration you have now, I think headwhacker would have to "glue" the newest FW with RockBox for you to have what you are asking for. You could install the newest Lurker but wouldn't have the RockBox in dual boot with it.

I am perfectly happy with RockBox only!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back