Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Apr 15, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #1,951 of 2,020
Guys i have trouble navigating rockbox on the bx50.
I use rb on my ipodvideo for years now so i have setup the setting and the theme (CenterArt always :) ) but i cant really understand how you go for 'now playing' page to the main menu ets...
The on/off button should be Back?

With the official build you go from wps to menu with power button. If you've installed the patched version with "Modern UI" you have to do a long press if the play button.
Now you have a touchscreen, make use of it. You can either use the 3x3 mode that gives you 9 virtual buttons or you take a theme that is optimized for touchscreen and switch from 3x3 to absolute point. I never tried center art, i dont know if touchscreen functionality is implemented. I always use arc-en-ciel.

Apr 17, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #1,953 of 2,020
Noticed when I was out-putting my dx50 in Rockbox to my MOJO vis coax that it wasn't getting the higher sample rates. Is this a limitation or is there something I need to change. Properly outputs just fine in Mango.

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #1,955 of 2,020
  RB does not support HiRes files at all.

It down samples to 16/44.1

Cheers

Well, that's a shame. 

Thx for the info!

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #1,956 of 2,020
I think it does the same thing.
It will not wype rockbox or the settings but what i'm not sure if it wypes the dualboot app. If this would happen, you would need to install udate.img one more time, no big thing.

Thanks - it seems that the factory reset inside mango just starts the recovery mode version of the same thing. And doesn't mess up rockbox or the dual boot at all. And now mango works! Although I'll probably never use it now anyway. Thanks!

May 3, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #1,960 of 2,020
Can I just thank you guys for your efforts in putting rockbox on the dx50.  It was a very painless process and I look forward to accessing all the fruit that the original software does not have.  It is still a little more painful to use due to the touchscreen being so sensitive, however.

I also have a sansa clip+ with rockbox on it and I notice that the implementation of the bass and treble adjustment is excellent on that but is weird on the dx50.  This may have been talked about before but if I just want to get a little more bass 'warmth' into he sound of the dx50, what is the best way of doing it?  I think changing the bass level on the dx50 through rockbox just decreases the treble quantity, rather than just increasing the lower frequencies accordingly (like on the sansa clip+).  I always had mixed results playing around with the equaliser in the stock firmware/software.  

cheers for your input

May 5, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #1,961 of 2,020
Can I just thank you guys for your efforts in putting rockbox on the dx50.

+1

Definitely, I don't know where the time & enthusiasm is found in getting this made but well done guys especially Cholero!

It was a very painless process and I look forward to accessing all the fruit that the original software does not have.

Although it replaces the original firmware, I don't look at Rockbox as a jailbreak for the hardware as such but more like customised & flexible audio playback system.

It is still a little more painful to use due to the touchscreen being so sensitive, however.

As previously stated, use the arc-en-ciel-mod to give the screen touchscreen buttons to use instead of having to swipe up. This is the setting I use for the missus when we use it in the car.

I also have a sansa clip+ with rockbox on it and I notice that the implementation of the bass and treble adjustment is excellent on that but is weird on the dx50.

In that case you are hearing the difference between the Sandisk AS3525v2 DAC + AMP and the Wolfson WM8740 DAC + iBasso Amp which is bound to differ in sound signature especially if you've also updated your headphones.

This may have been talked about before but if I just want to get a little more bass 'warmth' into he sound of the dx50, what is the best way of doing it? I think changing the bass level on the dx50 through rockbox just decreases the treble quantity, rather than just increasing the lower frequencies accordingly (like on the sansa clip+). I always had mixed results playing around with the equaliser in the stock firmware/software.

This is what happens when you use an EQ, raising more db in Bass proportionally lowers the impact of the Treble so you have to use both planning & your hearing when working out how you want to customise the sound to your tastes. This is where Rockbox works in your favour in giving you those customisable options not available in stock firmware.

Here are a couple of links to get you started:

http://www.audio-issues.com/ultimate-eq-guide/

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-bandwidth.htm

Hope this helps...

May 6, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #1,962 of 2,020
Wow, kudos ceemcs. A thoughtful and directed reply post (and much appreciated). I will look at the arc mod, sounds interesting.

I love it when people end with "Hope this helps....". You're a legend!

After a good amount of time listening to rockbox with the dx50, there is definitely a very noticeable difference in the sound sig. of this and 1.9.4 (hell, most of the recent updates to be honest IMO). I feel like it has taken a little of the detail/upper treble away. I found that when I used my titan 1's on the dx50, they were too bright and IMO very hard to enjoy. Now....not a problem. I will have to jump between rockbox and original to get a full appreciation but this has effectively given me a new portable sound on the unit without having to muck around with EQ. Kudos again, guys.

cheers.

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #1,963 of 2,020
Here's the updated installation instruction containing a link to the new firmware 1.9.5:

Unofficial Installation instruction for Rockbox on iBasso DX50

There are 2 different ways for the update: choose either the green (recommended, internal storage) or the brown (fallback, microSD fat32) method.

• Download the files:
    • Firmware 1.9.5** including the rockbox dualboot app.
    • a rockbox build: either a development build from the official page or an optimized build for DX50:
      official development build

ibassodx50-small.png

iBasso DX50

it is a "development build" but problems are rare
      source code:
      rockbox git tree
      changelog

optimized build
      download from zippyshare

contains these patches:
      "Modern User Interface" ps10
      User selectable hold switch mode ps13
      "Debounce" patch ps1

source code from march 11th, 2016
  • connect your player to the computer to have access to its storage
  • extract the update.img form DX50Firmware...zip to the root of your
    a) either microSD card (which has to be formatted to fat32)
    b) or internal storage
  • extract the content of the rockbox-build-zip to the root of the internal storage of your DX50 (it contains one single folder: ".rockbox"). If the file manager asks questions about merging or overwriting because of an older rockbox installation, overwrite all existing files (settings won't be lost)
  • Update the Firmware (brown or green, as above):
    a) reboot to recovery: Power off the device, then power it on while you are holding vol+then select "apply update from SDcard"
    b) Boot the official Frimware and select: Settings / Advanced / System update
    -> Firmware 1.9.5 containing the rockbox dualboot app will be flashed (update.img)
  • that's it, you're done

-> to switch between Mango and rockbox, you have to put the "lock" switch to "locked" position when you are booting then the dualboot selector will appear

** Mirror for all files is available @ MEGA. You also find older firmware there

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #1,964 of 2,020
Quote (from cholero 4/9/16):

Here is a quick overview of the differences between the default rockbox and the optimized build with the "Modern UI"-Patch (stupid name, I know).
 default rockbox"Modern UI"
go from WPS -> MenuPowerPlay Long press
Context menu in WPSPlay Long PressNot possible, only with touch-buttons in a theme providing this
Backlight off in WPSnot possiblePower

Users who are viewing this thread

Back