Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Apr 9, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #1,936 of 2,020
  We are a small group of freaks who buy a audio player instead of just using  the mobile phone to listen to music. Out of that freaky group we are the 20% who even put a open source software on it for several reasons.
If I need someone to argue with, I search someone outside of that group...
biggrin.gif

I try to explain to people that Cowon and iBasso (that's what I have) are for people who like to play music, iPods are for people who like to play Angry Birds.

For the record, my iBasso DX50 was an extreme disappointment to me until I put Rockbox on it. the same thing goes with my Sansa Clip Zip. I'm not sure I would even WANT a player that didn't have Rockbox available for it. I don't know if the people who develop it even realize exactly how much people like myself appreciate it.

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #1,937 of 2,020
I had to uninstall RB.
Before this uninstallation, I could create bookmarks "manually" from the context menu which I got with a long press on the central button.
After having reinstalled RB (DX50Firmware_V1.9.4_with_rockbox_bl_20160126), I can get the context menu only after 2 long presses. With the first one, I get the main menu, and the context menu with the second one. And in this context menu, there is no trace of a command for creating a bookmark, and no reference at all to the bookmarks.
Now, I close the iBasso to create a bookmark.
How can I go back to the previous situation (context menu with 1 long press and a command to create a bookmark in this context menu)?
Thank you in advance for your help.

BTW I totally agree with sirloyne, when he writes
my iBasso DX50 was an extreme disappointment to me until I put Rockbox on it. the same thing goes with my Sansa Clip Zip. I'm not sure I would even WANT a player that didn't have Rockbox available for it. I don't know if the people who develop it even realize exactly how much people like myself appreciate it.

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #1,938 of 2,020
  I had to uninstall RB.
Before this uninstallation, I could create bookmarks "manually" from the context menu which I got with a long press on the central button.
After having reinstalled RB (DX50Firmware_V1.9.4_with_rockbox_bl_20160126), I can get the context menu only after 2 long presses. With the first one, I get the main menu, and the context menu with the second one. And in this context menu, there is no trace of a command for creating a bookmark, and no reference at all to the bookmarks.
Now, I close the iBasso to create a bookmark.
How can I go back to the previous situation (context menu with 1 long press and a command to create a bookmark in this context menu)?
Thank you in advance for your help.

This comes from different keymaps in different rockbox builds.
The keymaps cannot be modified by the settings, they have to be defined when compiling. And they dont have to anything to do with the ibasso firmware.

When you take an official build from the rockbox autobuilder (development build from rockbox.org), the keymap is diffrent from the one of "my optimized build".

Here is a quick overview of the differences between the default rockbox and the optimized build with the "Modern UI"-Patch (stupid name, I know).
 default rockbox"Modern UI"
go from WPS -> MenuPowerPlay Long press
Context menu in WPSPlay Long PressNot possible, only with touch-buttons in a theme providing this
Backlight off in WPSnot possiblePower

If you need the context menu in the while playing screen, I recommend you to either take a theme that has this touch-buttons (I know: arc-en-ciel, naranjada) or you move to the official build (link below the DX50 icon on the first post)

Apr 9, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #1,939 of 2,020
Hi cholero,

Is there a possibility of the backlight off in WPS with stock Rockbox ever coming to the DX50? I've tried looking in to it, but I don't understand exactly how everything works. What I mean is I don't understand how the main Rockbox build translates over to the DX50 and who is capable of editing the features.

Apr 9, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #1,940 of 2,020
Cholero,

Thank you for your help.
I got back the ability to create bookmarks as I wanted.
bigsmile_face.gif

BTW, I had already chosen the arc-en-ciel theme in my former configuration, but (1) I did not know how to use the touch-buttons to get the context menu (2) the context menu I got with two long presses did not include a function to create bookmarks.

Apr 10, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #1,941 of 2,020
Is there a possibility of the backlight off in WPS with stock Rockbox ever coming to the DX50?

You mean that if the "Moder UI" patch will ever be merged to git and so being included in the official builds? If this is the question, the answer is no. The rockbox maintainers don't want it. You can see some discussions when you click the link on the first post.

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #1,942 of 2,020
Thank you for your help.

You're welcome. I have to admit that the differences between the two builds and where what comes from is not well documented here.

And it seems that you did not now: there is not only one context menu! There is one for the wps, one for some entries in the main menu, one for the file/database browser and one for the playlist (maybe even more). They are all different. What you have probably opened is the context menu for "now playing" and there are only some shortcuts to playback options and no bookmark submenu.

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #1,943 of 2,020
Cholero,
You are right, I did not know that there are several types of context menus. I'll explore them.
However, It seems to me that it was rather logical to seek a bookmark submenu in the context menu of the "now playing" window.
The bookmarks are very important for me and one of the main reasons which make that RB is so indispensable, because [1] most of the files I play are rather long (from 2' to 2h30' with the majority between 50' and 65') [2] I alternate two kinds of files: musical ones and non musical ones.
Thank you again for your work.

Apr 11, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #1,944 of 2,020
Apr 12, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #1,946 of 2,020
So... two things. But first, many many thanks to cholero and the others who have kept this project going!

Album art. It seems to be a very iffy subject in this port. It seems to work maybe 2/3rds of the time. That still leaves a lot of time it doesn't work, which is a lot. Coming from 2 different sansa fuses running rockbox, where album art worked all the time, it's a bit frustrating. Not that it's enough of an issue to go back to the fuses, of course - it's really a small extra feature that just doesn't always work right. Yes, I've read up on what kind of files are supported, am well experienced in formatting cover.jpg files to work 100% of the time on the sansas. Not really looking for a fix, just wanted to vent about this, and see if anyone has any insights into why it doesn't always work.

Second, I recently installed rockboxed version 1.9.4 of the ibasso firmware, for some reason - I never use it, so didn't really have to, but did it for some reason. So tonight I actually switched over to it (mango) for the first time in ages, basically to see if album art was working on it, and while the firmware loaded, it won't work. I can scan the files on the sd card; work the menus, change settings and all that, but none of the files play - I just get a blank WPS. Weird. Maybe I need to reinstall it? Again, not a big issue, I don't actually need it at all.

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #1,947 of 2,020
1) On my player, artwork is always working only not if I just changed the theme. Well i have all images converted to the same size (512x512 i think). Your same music files show artwork on the sansa fuze's rockbox? Is it alway the same artworks that are not working or does the same artwork work 2/3 of the time and 1/3 not?
2) you provably have to do a factory reset to make mango work again ( should not affect rockbox ). This seems to be the cure for all Mango problems. You can do this in the recovery menu ( hold vol+ when powerin on ).

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #1,948 of 2,020
I think I found my problem. I use photoshop to resize and flatten out my album art - there's a handy little menu item just for that. I tried unchecking progressive this morning, and files saved that way work again. Woops! Once again, user error.

I don't have a working volume up button, so can't get to the recovery menu. Will the factory reset inside of mango do the same thing? Will it wipe my rockbox installation? Do I even care - now that I've figured out the AA issue I may never use mango for another few years.

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #1,949 of 2,020
Guys i have trouble navigating rockbox on the bx50.
I use rb on my ipodvideo for years now so i have setup the setting and the theme (CenterArt always :) ) but i cant really understand how you go for 'now playing' page to the main menu ets...
The on/off button should be Back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back