Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Mar 26, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #436 of 2,020
repeat the steps of installing the cwm_rockbox_*.zip from the cmw recovery menu (hold power + volume up until it reboots)

got it,thanks! so it's better to keep CWM recovery rather than the stock recovery?

Cwm will allow you to update rockbox more often since I think that's how the updates will be implemented from now on.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #437 of 2,020
unless you completely want to go back to stock, yes. 

However, if you want to to go back to an untouched stock rom you also need to flash the original update.img through the settings menu after the stock_recovery.zip is flashed in CWM. 

The beauty of this rockbox mod is everything is easily reversible without having to resort to ADB and the Android SDK, which would require an explanation probably 4 times as long to understand.  With (pardon the terminology) a recovery for the recovery, theres really nothing to lose.

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #438 of 2,020
So once everything is up and running, is it necessary or suggested to go back and delete anything off of the DX50? (As per ibasso instruction installing new firmware, last step is to remove update.img file).

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #439 of 2,020
So once everything is up and running, is it necessary or suggested to go back and delete anything off of the DX50? (As per ibasso instruction installing new firmware, last step is to remove update.img file).

The latest update puts your settings on the internal sdcard of DX50. Just don't delete anything else other than the update.img file.

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #440 of 2,020
Cwm will allow you to update rockbox more often since I think that's how the updates will be implemented from now on.

got it! thanks! sticking with CWM if that's the case....

@ everyone

i have another question though - (i have everything sorted out now - thank you everyone for helping out!) if i boot to RB and plug it into my PC - what should i be seeing? should i see the different RB folders? because right now what i'm seeing are the folders when you're in Mango - even if i'm booted to RB

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #441 of 2,020

The latest update puts your settings on the internal sdcard of DX50. Just don't delete anything else other than the update.img file.

Any harm in leaving the update.img file? Why does ibasso suggest removing it? Thanks 

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #442 of 2,020

Any harm in leaving the update.img file? Why does ibasso suggest removing it? Thanks 

No harm at all, the only thing that will happen if you leave the file is that the system update button will appear under the advanced tab in settings.  If you don't flash the stock_recovery.zip in CWM to restore to Ibasso's original recovery, the flash simply won't work and you'll have to reboot the device.

In other words, theres no harm in leaving the file there, they just suggest removing it so people don't accidently brick it by hitting the update button unexpectedly.

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #443 of 2,020

got it! thanks! sticking with CWM if that's the case....

@ everyone

i have another question though - (i have everything sorted out now - thank you everyone for helping out!) if i boot to RB and plug it into my PC - what should i be seeing? should i see the different RB folders? because right now what i'm seeing are the folders when you're in Mango - even if i'm booted to RB

It has always been like that when you connect DX50 to your PC. It always mount the internal SD and the external SD regardless whether you boot mango or RB.

Mar 26, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #445 of 2,020
Hi,

Anyone ever tried to use a usb data only cable with DX50, a cable without +5V connected? (Mango player)
I get on USB mode but Im sure my cable is ok in terms of soldering.

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #446 of 2,020
Thanks for all the hard work, xzcc. Rockbox feels and sounds great already. Now there are only minor improvements to be made.
It would be nice to get the 'Gather Runtime Data' feature to work (ratings, playcount etc.) and of course get Rockbox to play hires
music without downsampling. I guess that is a lot of work though.
I cannot thank you enough for making Rockbox available for the DX50. I love my DX50 even more now.

I wasn't too fond of the menu screen though, so I made my own one.
If someone wants to use it, here it is: Rockbox bootmenu
It has to be converted to .bmp and then copied to the "\system\rockbox" folder of the zip file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back