Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Jul 26, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #1,831 of 2,020
...the only complex part might be using the cwm recovery menu.

Not even that is really needed. If you opt for the DUAL BOOT it is easy peasy. Just get the file from the link of post # one, copy the rockbox files to the root and treat the dual boot image as a normal firmware update process and you are all set.

Cheers.

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #1,833 of 2,020
You can do more with the Rockbox firmware and there are more features.  The reason I went to Rockbox was when playing random songs if you hit the back button, you hear the last song played, rather than another random song.

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #1,835 of 2,020
  Is there any different between IBasso software player and Rockbox? 
Purpose/benefit of it? 

Tons of differences. Complete file management. On the fly playlists. Random folder advance. Tons of different themes that are actually different. Tons of things that can be customized. It's a robust, open platform that's been in development for more than a decade, so it's very stable and efficient by now. 

Jul 29, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #1,836 of 2,020
Is there any different between IBasso software player and Rockbox? 
Purpose/benefit of it? 
Sorry if i not geek enough, lol.

For me it is the complete combination of features which you would want in any advanced/expensive Digital Audio Player which surprisingly is not implemented as standard on any of the expensive brands - A & K, Apple(Apps give limited/singular features), Cowon etc.
Maybe they don't want to confuse their customers with too advanced settings or give customers the opportunity to ruin the sound signature or the $ goes into the hardware not the firmware.

Features like Parametric Equaliser, Compressor, Custom Stereo Width, Crossfeed used together & found nowhere else (unless in a physical & expensive home rig) make a for a superior sound.

The only things missing I can think of are the ability to add reverb if you like that but that can muddy the clarity, a way to monitor the sound signature colour-coded so you can tell whether your changes have caused clipping.

My concern is with the Sandisk Clip Zip being withdrawn & currently no other later Sandisk player being Rockboxable, iBasso DX50/90 is currently the only modern mainstay for the Rockbox Platform which is not deemed stable as it needs to be manually installed by those who know what they are doing.

I also concur with the unstable status, if I confuse my DX50 with too many tasks such as chopping & changing playlists while playing several tracks; it will freeze requiring a full reboot. It's workable because generally you leave the player running but it is still a bug.

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #1,841 of 2,020
  Although all those important rockbox related links and info can be found right here in this thread in the first couple of pages....

A very nice theme collection modified and optimized for the DX50 can be found here: https://www.sendspace.com/file/igsenr

Cheers

That link is indeed in the first post. It's definitely a must-download for anyone who has a Rockboxed DX50.

Aug 12, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #1,842 of 2,020
Apologies if this has been answered before :

I know that the coaxial digital / SPDIF output works under Rockbox for iBasso DX50. However does anyone know whether it retains all the useful Digital Signal Processing that Rockbox applies to the Sound Signature or will it just send out the Raw music data files to a DAC?

I'm planning to purchase the iBasso D14 so I can "upgrade" the iBasso DX50 from the Wolfson WM8740 DAC to the Sabre ES9018K2M DAC turning the DX50 into "Transport Only".

Key to this is retaining all the useful DSP which my Rockbox settings applies such as EQ, Crossfeed etc. or is this bypassed by the Coax / SPDIF output as well?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #1,843 of 2,020
Originally Posted by ceemsc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anyone know whether it retains all the useful Digital Signal Processing that Rockbox applies to the Sound Signature

Yes, it does. All Rockbox DSP processing goes through the digital out.

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #1,845 of 2,020
Everytime i try to extract the rockbox-build-zip, the Folder is empty with no files in it. Anyone know what to do? Im on a Mac.

Edit: Solved. Folders with an . before the name are invisible in Mac OS X. Got that sorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back