Rockbox experts/converts: An iPod 5.5g question
Nov 3, 2008 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tstarn06

Banned
I am considering loading Rockbox on my iPod 5.5g (30GB). Problem is, the machine has a broken HP out (only one channel). I bought a replacement HP part via ebay, but since moving to the LOD/Amp combo, I don't see a reason to even replace the HP out (I will use it mainly around the house, sitting around, etc.).

My question is, will Rockbox improve the sound quality via LOD too, or does it mainly apply to improving the HP out SQ? In other words, is it worth the hassle to Rockbox the thing if I am not going to use the HP out anyway?

I've read here and elsewhere that Rockbox really takes the SQ of an iPod (and other DAPs too) to the next level. Just curious, and since the iPod video is really not a main machine, seems like a fun experiment.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 8
Meh, it's a waste. RockBox is better if your using the HP out, the EQ is the draw. Well, if you use FLAC, or another codec that Apple doesn't support, RockBox is for you. For the LOD, use the iPod OS, it's much better on battery life, as well as much easier to use.

Nov 3, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks. Perfect. I was getting a little confused by the Rockbox process, to be honest. Sort of like Linux: Great, but only if you can solve the mysteries. I'll stick with the LOD/amp, use the machine with iPod software.

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm with nywytboy68 on this one. I almost bricked my iPod last night trying to take it off. I haven't been that angry in a while
angry_face.gif

I still use my iPod with the headphone out anyhow, and I still don't like RockBox. I have some files in flac, but I can get around that if I have to (just convert to something else).

Nov 3, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 8
It's been a while since I last used Rockbox, but it works quite well once you get used to it. Very nice options in terms of customizing the look and feel, and the options in terms of setting up extensive playlists, including certain dynamic playlists.

I vastly preferred the sound quality of the alternative software.

Nov 3, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I almost bricked my iPod last night trying to take it off.

The ipods are nigh invulnerable, pretty much the only way to brick them involves violence. The worst you would ever have to do when messing about with Rockbox is force restart into disk mode and restore with itunes.

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meh, it's a waste. RockBox is better if your using the HP out, the EQ is the draw. Well, if you use FLAC, or another codec that Apple doesn't support, RockBox is for you. For the LOD, use the iPod OS, it's much better on battery life, as well as much easier to use.

Rockbox EQ (indeed any ipod EQ) applies to the lineout just as much as the headphone out. If you're not EQing at all, sound quality is identical between rockbox and Apple firmware.

Nov 4, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 8
x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back