Rock with heavy classical influences?
Nov 17, 2008 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm thinking more Muse than Elend...any recommendations? Go!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 34
Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Beethoven's Last Night
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The closest sound to Muse is Radiohead. They are very similar sounding IMO.

I haven't heard Muse, but if the above is true I am left wondering what the OP means by "heavy classical influence."

jonathanjong, can you elaborate on what you mean by that? My first thought was ELP & Yes (as mentioned above).

Nov 19, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #10 of 34
^ Erm, I guess I'm looking for rock music, but with non-traditional (to rock) instruments. Violin, trumpets, etc. Big bang rock? Or perhaps the other way around: Classical-ish music played by a rock band.

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #12 of 34
If you don't mind Japanese music, Malice Mizer has quite a bit of classical influences. They used to be my favorite band, sadly they disbanded.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #14 of 34
One thing that bugs me is when some people say rock is heavily influenced by the blues when in fact a lot of it is far more influenced by classical music. Sure Led Zep and the Stones are heavily blues influenced but bands like Genesis, Yes, Agalloch, Laibach etc. have nothing to do with the blues at all.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #15 of 34
^ But don't you think that if listeners can't really tell that rock has classical roots any more, then the history is kind of irrelevant? Maybe? Like, I wouldn't really see metal/classical fusion stuff as metal "going back to its roots". It's new...and - dare I use the cliche - progressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back