"Rock Out" Cans
Aug 29, 2009 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Crazy*Carl

500+ Head-Fier
I was wondering what were some of the best cans for "rocking out" (rock, metal, electronica). They should have good bass and clear uppers. Opinions?

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 28
Sony V6 usually appeals to this crowd, I find.

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 28
How would something like a HD485 (which I have used for 3 years) compare to a HD650 in this field? I know the 650 is far superior, but for "rock out" is this still the case?

Aug 29, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would something like a HD485 (which I have used for 3 years) compare to a HD650 in this field? I know the 650 is far superior, but for "rock out" is this still the case?

The HD650 is generally considered good for classical, not rocking out. You may very well prefer your HD485 to the HD650 for rock. Grados are often recommended for rock; however some do not prefer their sound with their equipment.

What sound card or other equipment are you plugging your headphones into?

Aug 29, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 28
Ya, Grado seems to be widely agreed here. Right now I am just working on getting rid of my super bass and treble eqing tendency that I have had before arriving at head-fi.

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering what were some of the best cans for "rocking out" (rock, metal, electronica). They should have good bass and clear uppers. Opinions?

Since you haven't mentioned any budget I'll just go ahead and recommend the Ultrasone PRO 900.
devil_face.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #14 of 28
If you are a bass freak you may look elsewhere than a Grado. You better go with Denon or even Ultrasone. But these won't give you the PRaT and that and electric guitar crunch that only a Grado provide.

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #15 of 28
Grado for excellent guitar reproduction and tight punchy bass, and you should also consider source upgrade. Audigy is quite sucky especially because it force resamples every signal below 48Khz to 48Khz and does mediocre job with it. Auzentech or Asus soundcards should already provide quite a bit of improvement over Audigy based card. Better DAC circuit and output.

If you are a basshead that likes bass as loud and rumbling, then Grados might not be for you. Denons might be better for you. But for guitars, Grado is hard to beat and riffs are what drives metal forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back