Rock Headphones
Mar 22, 2011 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

StrykeIRL

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone.

I am looking to purchase a pair of headphones that will be great for my genre of choice - rock. I've looked through a couple of threads here and it seems like the choice varies widely based upon what I wish to be accentuated in my music. Moreso than anything, I would like to hear lively guitars and vocals. 

The type of bands I listen to are: Radiohead, Muse, The Beatles, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Some additional information that might be helpful: I'm a college student, so I can't have my headphones pumping out music to the outside (especially if I'm in my dorm, or in the library). That's really quite a shame because for a while, I was leaning heavily towards Grados. So I guess I'm looking for closed headphones. Furthermore, I wish to play music straight from my laptop or from my iPod, without an amp. Finally, I wish for them to be comfortable (1-2 hours at a time, max.) and somewhat visually pleasing. 

Thank you all very much.

Edit: Forgot to put my budget! I'm looking to spend < $300

Edit 2: Anyone have any words on the ATH-M50S?

Mar 23, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 4
If you want to rock, you want Grados.

My recommendation is to buy the SR-60i. They rock. You will love them. Trust me.

Sure, they're open, but listen to them at home and when open headphones won't bother anyone.

Spend the other $200 or so on a pair of IEMs you can use in public. I don't know much about IEMs, but something should fit your budget.

But get the Grado SR-60i. You won't regret it after you hear them.

Mar 23, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 4
Klipsch image one, Monster Solo HD......

Mar 23, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 4
x2 on Grados for rock. The SR60i/80i is simply awesome for any kind of rock. Also give it a simple amp like a FiiO E7 and it's even better.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back