Robert Plant - Mighty Rearranger Tour
Jun 22, 2005 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DLeeWebb

Headphoneus Supremus
I went to see Robert Plant who is on the road with his "Mighty Rearranger" tour at the Tower Theater in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania last night. I have to say that I was thoroughly impressed. I have seen Robert Plant several times, three times with Led Zeppelin, [Spectrum-Philadelphia-1975/Capitol Center-Landover, Maryland-1977/Live Aid-JFK Stadium-Philadelphia 1985 (reunion after John Bonham's death)] and solo on the "Now and Zen" tour. [Spectrum-Philadelphia (his opening act was Stevie Ray Vaughn) - I don't remember the year but Stevie Ray died not long after that show...] In a word the "Mighty Rearranger" concert was great. Plant's voice was perfect. He hasn't lost anything in all of these years. Facially, he looks his age but the voice and the stage presence are all still there. I was pleasantly surprised with how many Led Zeppelin songs that he did. He started with the song "Brother Ray" from his new album which he morphed into a new arrangement of "No Quarter." Without pause he went right into an excellent version of "Black Dog." [I never thought that I would see that song being performed again!] He went on to do "That's The Way," "Heartbreaker," "Gallows Pole," "When The Levee Breaks" [which was exceptionally good!], and he ended the night with a long version of "Whole Lotta Love." His band "Strange Sensation" did a better than excellent job. What a daunting task that it must be for a group of musicians to even attempt to play these legendary songs to an audience with high expectations as to how they should sound. The audience was not disappointed with their musical interpretations. The band's musicianship was impeccable. They were true to the original spirit and sound of the songs, but they added their own spirit to them. Plant and his band also did the whole "Mighty Rearranger" album which I have liked since I bought it, but now that I have seen and heard the songs played live I like this new material even more. It was a great night that brought back a lot of pleasant memories and created a few new ones. If the "Mighty Rearranger" tour comes to your town, and you are a Robert Plant/Led Zeppelin fan, give yourself a present and buy a ticket you won't be disappointed!
icon10.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeyC
Hmmmm. Tower Theatre brings back a lot of good memories. Do you remember Ripleys on South St?

Philadelphia is about a two hour drive from where I live. Concerts are the main reason that I go to Philly. Most of the concerts that I see these days are at either the Wachovia Center or at the Tower Theater. The Tower is an awesome place to see any concert, an all-around great venue. It is small enough for that intimate feel and the acoustics are great. I have seen many shows there over the years like Robert Plant, Sting, Bryan Ferry, Lou Reed, David Bowie, Journey, Van Halen, and Frankie Goes To Hollywood. The Tower brings back a lot of great memories for me too. I have been to South Street several times but I don't know it well in terms of individual businesses. I don't remember Ripley's. I do know a place on the main intersection at South Street that sells what are supposed to be the best Philly cheesesteaks in the world. [I can't even remember the name of that place, and I have been there four or five times...] Everytime I go to South Street it seems that it is different. I'm sorry to say that South Street has been deteriorating in recent years. Robert Plant mentioned South Street and the important role that Philly played in the history of Rock and Roll at the concert that I mention in the post above...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back